Greenburg... on Grant | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Greenburg... on Grant

Counter point -

Our zone defense has traditionally been best with an experienced 5.

Hard to get more experienced than Christmas.

That said, I do agree we probably won't be the defensive juggernaut we've grown accustomed to. And that's ok. Teams can be different year to year and still be successful. Hopefully we slant more towards scoring and getting out in transition so the games can be more fun.

Great point and I agree with getting out more in transition. Certainly, I wish Ennis was joining us for another year, although he really slowed the team down offensively at times due to his methodical play. On the other end of the continuum, you had a guy like G who clearly wanted to push the ball and get to the basket early in transition. We need to get back to making teams PAY when they turn the ball over on the defensive end. That obviously takes pressure off our offense when we can get some easy baskets rather than having to grind everything out.

Isn't there a reason Greenburg is talking about basketball on ESPN instead of coaching basketball on ESPN? There's no doubt Grant leaving leaves us unsettled, but the cupboard is not bare. Roberson practiced all year and saw some time on the floor, not all that different than Grant the year before (or Wesley Johnson in '10 after his sit out year). We've had freshman come in and do well, Melo and Donte Greene. The keys to our success next year will not be how the new forwards play defense. Regardless how they do with it at the beginning of the year, they'll be fine by the end. The keys will be how Joseph runs the point and how well we shoot. If we can put the ball in the basket, we can give up more points next year and be fine.

Defensively hopefully Christmas has learned from Baye on how to be a leader at the 5 and helps guide the young guys on his sides.

If Cooney can ever learn how to handle the ball and pass, having Silent G, Joseph and Cooney handle the ball could be a good thing when all are one the court at the same time. It's going to be a very talented and interesting team on the hill this winter.

6'3 Kaleb Joseph Fr.
6'4 Trevor Cooney Rs Jr.
6'8 Tyler Roberson So.
6'10 Chris McCullough Fr.
6'9 Rakeem Christmas Sr.

Two four year players and a two year player; I think there's enough experience, and length, there for the zone to be succesful.

Still only 1 shooter. We desperately need our small forwards to hit long jumpers. That's the direction of the game. Otherwise we are looking at a similar year for Cooney next year.

They're going to have to light a fire under McCullough on defense. He has the size and athleticism to play the zone...but does he have the desire?

if he doesnt play D, he will sit. Period. Jim doesnt care how talented you are. We also have BJ who should be an adequate fill in for him. And i dont think playing Coleman and Rak is an awful idea like Seth does (assuming DC plays).

Hopefully the lack of a "go-to" offensive player will get JB to adjust his offensive game-plan to take advantage of the overall athleticism of the roster. We really need to stop playing games at slow tempos- especially against inferior opponents.

Still only 1 shooter. We desperately need our small forwards to hit long jumpers. That's the direction of the game. Otherwise we are looking at a similar year for Cooney next year.

If McCullough can play inside and Christmas and Roberson hit that 15 footer that could open up more of the offense. Agree that Cooney might be the only 3 point threat out of that particular group.

if he doesnt play D, he will sit. Period. Jim doesnt care how talented you are. We also have BJ who should be an adequate fill in for him. And i dont think playing Coleman and Rak is an awful idea like Seth does (assuming DC plays).
Not true. That's been the case recently because we've had guys good enough to warrant sitting someone if they didn't do what JB wanted. That may not be the case next year.

It is. You need to have scorers on the floor. It was blatantly obvious last year. With both Rak and Coleman on the floor, our scoring outside the paint takes a huge hit. That doesn't even take into account that both of them are not highly offensive players in the paint.

The last time we played two centers at once was with Rick and AO. The difference? Both of them were much more polished on offense (at the time) than DC and Rak, and we had 3 shooters on the floor with them, including a small forward who could hit jumpshots.

Again- you need a small forward who can hit jumpshots.

I get it. I'm a cautiously optimistic person. Just my nature.

I'm actually a lot more optimistic about Joseph replacing Ennis than most people. I thought Ennis would step in nicely for MCW, and I think Joseph will follow suit next year.

Our forwards are a big question mark. Much potential, but just a huge uncertainty.
Yeah, I pretty much agree.
I don't think our defense or offense will be a lot different than this year. We lose a shot blocker in Grant, but I'm optimistic that Roberson can be that type of defender by the end of the season. As another poster said, Christmas is effective at the 5 and will only get better.
Offensively we may not have a consistent scorer like Fair, but the potential is there for an effective and balanced scoring attack. No season long star (outside chance for Cooney) but good possibilities for individual game stars.

It is. You need to have scorers on the floor. It was blatantly obvious last year. With both Rak and Coleman on the floor, our scoring outside the paint takes a huge hit. That doesn't even take into account that both of them are not highly offensive players in the paint.

The last time we played two centers at once was with Rick and AO. The difference? Both of them were much more polished on offense (at the time) than DC and Rak, and we had 3 shooters on the floor with them, including a small forward who could hit jumpshots.

Again- you need a small forward who can hit jumpshots.

Disagree. Coleman is a very capable scorer, as is Rak. You are vastly underestimating them. Who is to say McCollough will be able to score at all? He is an unknown.

Not to mention that before Coleman got hurt, we DID start Rak and Coleman. Jim goes with what he knows.
I think Roberson will start at the 3, with Rak at the 4 and DC at the 5. No, there are not shooters there... but thats the team we have. As was the case this year, we will need to pray that our 2 guard that cant shoot improves.

(Note: i still think DC should come off the bench with G and BJ. that will be our 8 man rotation. Patterson will be odd man out, again.)

That's precisely why I'm hoping BJ starts.

Me thinks Seth is confusing what Grant should have been able to do with what Grant actually did.

Disagree. Coleman is a very capable scorer, as is Rak. You are vastly underestimating them. Who is to say McCollough will be able to score at all? He is an unknown.

I'm not underestimating either of them. I've been a big supporter of DC since he arrived as I watched him dominate at JD. I'm also probably one of the biggest Rak supporters on this board. The point is neither of them get the ball nearly enough and are not focal points of our offense. Maybe it changes next year but doubtful.

Not to mention that before Coleman got hurt, we DID start Rak and Coleman. Jim goes with what he knows.
I think Roberson will start at the 3, with Rak at the 4 and DC at the 5. No, there are not shooters there... but thats the team we have. As was the case this year, we will need to pray that our 2 guard that cant shoot improves.

(Note: i still think DC should come off the bench with G and BJ. that will be our 8 man rotation. Patterson will be odd man out, again.)

That's our gameplan? Pray our 2 guard hits shots when he's running around like a crackhead because there's no other threat to shoot on offense? Seems legit.

Johnson and Patterson are going to have the opportunity to step up and take on significant roles on this team. The biggest being, help free Cooney.

That's our gameplan? Pray our 2 guard hits shots when he's running around like a crackhead because there's no other threat to shoot on offense? Seems legit.

Johnson and Patterson are going to have the opportunity to step up and take on significant roles on this team. The biggest being, help free Cooney.

that was our plan this year, with a better surrounding cast. so yeah, sadly, i think that will be our first option every time down the court.

Seth makes a good point -- forward is arguably the most difficult position in the zone and we're replacing 100% of them -- but my concerns are alleviated by a couple of things.

First, Grant wasn't a very good defender; for all the hype he got, he was lost quite a bit. (I also thought C.J. took a step backward this year.) Second, Roberson was a good defender for a freshman. Will he be a good defender without that 'for a freshman' qualifier? Will be a good teacher and help bring the guy on the other side up to an adequate level?

SU hasn't had a lot of great defensive forwards over the past couple decades of zone play, so the bar isn't set too high. It's not ideal for both forwards to be getting significant minutes for the first time, but we'll see how it goes. If we're not a 2008-level disaster, we should be OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom