Gross Fired | Syracusefan.com

Gross Fired

@BrentAxeMedia
As the story notes, Gross will remain with the University in a different role. An announcement is expected soon.

I'm sure he was forced to but he actually resigned.

just got real for HCSS and co. They just got notice of a 1 year tryout for job extensions.

giphy.gif

This has to be for the sake of the appeal.

Gross is the guy in charge of what happened, not Boeheim.

This has to be for the sake of the appeal.

Gross is the guy in charge of what happened, not Boeheim.

Although the national and even local media put it all on Coach B.

There was no choice in the matter.

Somebody had to take the fall.

And incoming presidents or chancellors want their own AD - even without NCAA sanctions.

Dr. Gross - Thank you for all you did for Syracuse University! You brought the Athletic Department into the 21st Century. You saw the need to improve the department's infrastructure and you took action. You enhanced our Olympic sports. You improved fund raising. And you guided us into the ACC. You accomplished a great deal. And you were always nice to me and my family. We all truly appreciate your efforts!

For the new AD, dump the clown uniforms and bring back No. 44.

Last edited:
Is it too early to talk potential Candidates? Do we want a big time SEC guy? A guy with a track record at a private school?

For all of Daryl's shortcomings, he did alot of positive as well. When looking back, I won't remember him with a sour taste in my mouth at all. I'll remember him for attempting to embolden Syracuse Athletics, both successfully and unsuccessfully.

I don't think he was a fiscally responsible individual or very detail oriented when it came to rules and regulations, but, he tried to be a forward thinker. Tried to rebrand SU to increase revenue and secure our future in P5 sports, tried to properly acknowledge past great members of SU Athletics.

I think he's better suited for PR and Advertising than management. As long as those titles come with spell check.

Excited for what t his opportunity may bring.

And, again, I really like Syverud. No nonsense.

Did some good things. Time for a change though, and I suspect he was gone even without the NCAA matter.

Syverud and the BOT need to find someone who is fiscally competent and has a talent for fundraising.

He certainly did some good things but his number one job he failed so badly at that he gets a C- grade from me. Came in to fix football and sent it to the dark ages along with cosmetic changes that made us look like fools while we sucked at football.

Good riddance. Let's find someone who gets the idea of being an AD in the northeast, who can fund raise a ton and who can run this operation in the green.

The violations weren't just in basketball. We all have a million stories about how Gross isn't the most organized, detail-oriented person. i don't think this is merely a case of someone had to take the fall. it's not hard for me to believe he deserves blame for the minor violations and he hasn't done enough to look past that, unlike boeheim.

The guy HIRED GERG on the recommendation of gerg's college buddy

He clearly helped us to build powerful teams in the 'non-revenue' sports. I hope the new AD will continue the momentum he built there.

And, yes, he was the fall guy. After all, it's not as if the hoops program hadn't run into controversy before he got here.