Gross Fired | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gross Fired

For all of Daryl's shortcomings, he did alot of positive as well. When looking back, I won't remember him with a sour taste in my mouth at all. I'll remember him for attempting to embolden Syracuse Athletics, both successfully and unsuccessfully.

I don't think he was a fiscally responsible individual or very detail oriented when it came to rules and regulations, but, he tried to be a forward thinker. Tried to rebrand SU to increase revenue and secure our future in P5 sports, tried to properly acknowledge past great members of SU Athletics.

I think he's better suited for PR and Advertising than management. As long as those titles come with spell check.

Excited for what t his opportunity may bring.

And, again, I really like Syverud. No nonsense.

I agree. Gross was MUCH NEEDED at S.U. ..
"get a life" and " this is a one horse town" weren't cutting it anymore. We needed to get with modern times in terms of spending and thinking. Despite GRob, he did alot of good for the University and should be given credit for that. Having said that...im excited to see who is next.

The violations weren't just in basketball. We all have a million stories about how Gross isn't the most organized, detail-oriented person. i don't think this is merely a case of someone had to take the fall. it's not hard for me to believe he deserves blame for the minor violations and he hasn't done enough to look past that, unlike boeheim.

The guy HIRED GERG on the recommendation of gerg's college buddy

True. But, in that case, his failing was in not recognizing his struggle with detail, and hiring someone who could let him work on the big picture stuff w/o having to sweat out the small stuff.

Hopefully he'll be remembered for getting us into the ACC. That's a big accomplishment and outweighs some of the silly mistakes that have been made.

Brett Samuels ‏@Brett_Samuels27 52s52 seconds ago
Per, email from Chancellor Kent Syverud, Pete Sala will serve as interim director of athletics. Sala is the managing director of the Dome.

upload_2015-3-18_10-48-54.png

Vandy AD who has a relationship with the new Chancellor is probably going to be target 1 if he is interested.

There was no choice in the matter.

Somebody had to take the fall.

And incoming presidents or chancellors want their own AD - even without NCAA sanctions.

Dr. Gross - Thank you for all you did for Syracuse University! You brought the Athletic Department into the 21st Century. You saw the need to improve the department's infrastructure and you took action. You enhanced our Olympic sports. You improved fund raising. And you guided us into the ACC. You accomplished a great deal. And you were always nice to me and my family. We all truly appreciate your efforts!

For the new AD, dump the clown uniforms and bring back No. 44.

As much as I don't like what she did at SU, Cantor was the one that guided us into the ACC.

From the Chancellors' letter...

Dr. Gross cares deeply about our University, our students-athletes, and the Athletics Department. Under his leadership, Syracuse Athletics has had strong and broad success. He led the University into the ACC, a stellar conference renowned for both its athletics competition and academic success. He hired an outstanding set of coaches, increased Athletics’ fundraising to its highest levels, and invested in an exceptional array of new student-athlete facilities. His branding efforts were an important component of the invitation to join the ACC and have raised the University’s profile in New York City and other key national regions. Overall, under his leadership, thousands of student-athletes have succeeded in competition, in the classroom, and in the world as proud Syracuse alumni.

As part of my discussions with him, Dr. Gross has asked to conclude his tenure as Director of Athletics and transition to a new role at the University that can benefit from his background and experience in the areas of marketing and advancement. He believes this transition will allow SU Athletics to move forward and position itself for continued future success. Effective today, Dr. Gross will serve as Vice President and Special Assistant to the Chancellor, and adjunct professor in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics. Dr. Gross has embraced this opportunity and we look forward to his continued contributions.

I have appointed Peter Sala, Senior Associate Director of Athletics for Facilities and the Managing Director of the Carrier Dome, to serve as Interim Director of Athletics. I am grateful that Floyd Little, Special Assistant to the Athletics Director, has agreed to counsel and assist Peter through this term as Interim Director.

Steve Ballentine, who is a Board of Trustees member and serves on the Board’s Athletics Committee, will chair a small committee to assist the University in the search for a new Director of Athletics. This committee will include: Trustee Robert Miron, Chairman of the Board’s Athletics Committee; Lavonda Reed, Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs; Interim Athletics Director Sala; Barry Wells, Special Assistant to the Chancellor; a representative head coach; faculty and student representatives; and a representative from the Office of University Counsel which oversees Athletic Compliance. I will also be asking the committee to review and recommend organizational and structural changes with a focus on further enhancing the overall student-athlete experience including the possible creation of a new senior-level position to manage all department operations.

I did not like him but I feel he was extremely successful and moved SU out of the dark ages. I am not sure why they fired him. One thing I am pretty sure about is that when he came here he was told hands off jb and ball program. He is a fall guy in all this but that comes with the position . The new hire will speak volumes of where the chancellor stands in terms of direction of Athletics. Will he enhance or de-emphasize?

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 1m1 minute agoSyracuse, NY
Daryl Gross stepped downed as AD and is now Vice President and Special Assistant to the Chancellor/adjunct professor in Falk, per release

that sounds like a bs job title so that he has something on the resume so he can go get another job elsewhere. This whole thing was a firing yet they wanted to do it in a way to not hurt him with future employers.

tipphill said:
I did not like him but I feel he was extremely successful and moved SU out of the dark ages. I am not sure why they fired him. One thing I am pretty sure about is that when he came here he was told hands off jb and ball program. He is a fall guy in all this but that comes with the position . The new hire will speak volumes of where the chancellor stands in terms of direction of Athletics. Will he enhance or de-emphasize?

I hope we didn't join the ACC In order to de-emphasize.

We could have stayed in the Big East and did that.

Gross did a great job with the non-profit sports. Maybe he'll be reduced to DFO, which would be hilarious.