Gross Fired | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gross Fired

I would support Nick Carparelli.

That seems to make sense. In addition to his Under Armour ties and his experience trying to build the AAC into a decent football league, check out this article back from 2001 when he was hired by Notre Dame.

Feb. 15, 2001

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - Nick Carparelli, Jr., former assistant director of football operations at Syracuse, has joined the University of Notre Dame athletic staff as a football administrator.

Carparelli replaces Liz Dalton who joined the University of Texas at San Antonio athletic administration last summer as associate athletic drector. He assists in managing the administrative aspects of recruiting and is in charge of other assigned football operations. He serves as a liaison for the football office to a number of administrative offices in the athletic department and on campus.

Carparelli served as head freshman basketball coach at Cheshire High School in Cheshire, Conn., for four seasons from 1996 through 2000 -- working under his father, Nick Carparelli, Sr., who was the Cheshire head basketball coach.

For three seasons from 1992-95, he worked as the Syracuse assistant director of football operations, helping the Orangmen to the '92 Fiesta Bowl title.

Born March 19, 1968 in New Haven, Conn., he's a 1990 graduate of Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) where he earned a degree in mechanical engineering in 1990. He played basketball for four seasons for the Engineers, captaining the squad as a senior. He also played golf for three seasons and participated with the baseball squad his senior year.

He received a master's degree in business administration from Syracuse in 1994.

A 1986 graduate of Cheshire High School, he played basketball for four seasons for his father, captaining the squad as a senior, and also played golf for four years, also captaining that team as a senior. That's the same high school where current Irish assistant football coach Steve Addazio served as head football coach from 1988-94 and coached physical education with Nick Carparelli, Sr. (it's also the alma mater of current Syracuse head football coach Paul Pasqualoni).

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021501aac.html

@BruceFeldmanCFB

Interesting transition coming at #Syracuse .. Keep an eye on UnderArmour exec Nick Carparelli (ex of The Big East) in the mix for AD job.
Nick has ties to Syracuse; he was the assistant director of football operations at SU from 1992-95. Very well respected nationally, very connected in the TV business, knows a lot of people a good AD should know.

He is from Cheshire HS, and he and his father are tight with Steve Addazio. If Nick is hired, that relationship is going to be talked about a lot...

Here is an old story that talks about it.

Linkage

Edit: props to JHarris for referencing that article first...

Nick Carparelli would be a home run. I would love that hire and if we got rid of Nike for UA I wouldn't mind that as well. Nike made us neuter Orangeman to Orange for "branding" purposes and then has completely taken Orange out of our FB uniforms and made our basketball jerseys since 2004 horrible.
If he is ready for the step up to running the entire show, I think it would be a good hire.
  • Football guy
  • Worked here when we were good
  • Took an advanced degree at SU
  • Experience promoting football assets that aren't "factory-grade"
What is his reputation around the NCAA?

blah

she was there when the ACC took us. crouthamel was there when the ACC wanted to take us before mark warner forced VT on them.

Jake still f'ed it up as evidenced by BC's backdoor move. That could have been us but wasn't.

Not saying it's a bad move. I'm saying that there's an ex-D1 AD working in the department, and he doesn't get the nod.

I think that says it all about the future of the other Sr. AD's on staff, don't you?

That seems to make sense. In addition to his Under Armour ties and his experience trying to build the AAC into a decent football league, check out this article back from 2001 when he was hired by Notre Dame.

Feb. 15, 2001

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - Nick Carparelli, Jr., former assistant director of football operations at Syracuse, has joined the University of Notre Dame athletic staff as a football administrator.

Carparelli replaces Liz Dalton who joined the University of Texas at San Antonio athletic administration last summer as associate athletic drector. He assists in managing the administrative aspects of recruiting and is in charge of other assigned football operations. He serves as a liaison for the football office to a number of administrative offices in the athletic department and on campus.

Carparelli served as head freshman basketball coach at Cheshire High School in Cheshire, Conn., for four seasons from 1996 through 2000 -- working under his father, Nick Carparelli, Sr., who was the Cheshire head basketball coach.

For three seasons from 1992-95, he worked as the Syracuse assistant director of football operations, helping the Orangmen to the '92 Fiesta Bowl title.

Born March 19, 1968 in New Haven, Conn., he's a 1990 graduate of Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) where he earned a degree in mechanical engineering in 1990. He played basketball for four seasons for the Engineers, captaining the squad as a senior. He also played golf for three seasons and participated with the baseball squad his senior year.

He received a master's degree in business administration from Syracuse in 1994.

A 1986 graduate of Cheshire High School, he played basketball for four seasons for his father, captaining the squad as a senior, and also played golf for four years, also captaining that team as a senior. That's the same high school where current Irish assistant football coach Steve Addazio served as head football coach from 1988-94 and coached physical education with Nick Carparelli, Sr. (it's also the alma mater of current Syracuse head football coach Paul Pasqualoni).

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021501aac.html

Cheshire, hmmm...who else has Cheshire connections?

Yes, it all makes sense now.

9210164-large.jpg

Boyz and ghouls...The GDPP Show redux

I love the idea of Carparelli. His connections to Addazio make me very excited. They just need someone who has connections around the football world. The basketball program will be fine. WE NEED to be much better in football.

Also, Shafer and his staff must be shaking in his boots. They need to go to a bowl game this year. The new AD will want his guy, and will not be patient with a coach with no real resume to be an ACC coach.

I love the idea of Carparelli. His connections to Addazio make me very excited. They just need someone who has connections around the football world. The basketball program will be fine. WE NEED to be much better in football.

Also, Shafer and his staff must be shaking in his boots. They need to go to a bowl game this year. The new AD will want his guy, and will not be patient with a coach with no real resume to be an ACC coach.
New AD or not, Shafer isn't going anywhere after this year, IMO. We're not going to can a coach after 3 years, if for no other reason than we don't (appear to) have the money.

New AD or not, Shafer isn't going anywhere after this year, IMO. We're not going to can a coach after 3 years, if for no other reason than we don't (appear to) have the money.

You will be surprised. I think it is bowl game or he is out.

Thamel story from last year when Carparelli moved from AAC to Under Armour. Deep roots in Big East Football:

http://www.si.com/college-football/...conference-loses-nick-carparelli-under-armour

Carparelli served as the head of football for the Big East and American Athletic Conference for nearly 12 years, leading the league's football programs through two major realignment overhauls.

One of Carparelli's strongest assets to the American Athletic Conference was scheduling, back-loading key games to give the conference relevant late-season moments. Nothing epitomized that more than the back-to-back Thursday nights in 2006 when games featuring Louisville and West Virginia and Louisville andRutgers did blockbuster ratings and signified a revived Big East.

Carparelli also spearheaded the creation of the Pinstripe Bowl and Miami Beach Bowl, which is slated to start next season.

"I'm proud to have been associated with the Big East Conference," he said. "I grew up a Big East fan and the Big East will go down in history as being one of the great success stories in sports. It was 30-plus years of success, despite the odds."

I just don't see them winning a lot of games this year. Another non-bowl would be a huge blow to Shafer. The new AD will want his guy and the new AD will be Kent's guy.

Shafer in my opinion sure seems like a guy Syverud would hire. academics, integrity etc.

Academics and integrity only go so far when there are games to be won.

Really like Shafer as a person and hope he succeeds, but that's the bottom line.

I just don't see them winning a lot of games this year. Another non-bowl would be a huge blow to Shafer. The new AD will want his guy and the new AD will be Kent's guy.
The new AD can want whatever he wants, but it remains (IMO - going only by public reports we have seen here) that we have been in the red for years. We will soon be dealing with the annual cost-of-living stipend. We are still (I believe) paying off the Big East exit fee. We've been told to return NCAA tournament credits (= $$$).

If Syverud and the new AD can get the budget down to a place that gives us some flexibility, maybe something will happen. I would expect this year to be spent focusing on getting the house in order. By the end of Shafer's 4th year the books should be in better shape (they have to be, IMO), and then the AD can make a decision about the football coach.

Should he really get credit for that? Jake got us into the ACC to - or at least the ACC wanted us before Gross got here.
Jake let BC take our spot, and is the one who started the drug program.

That's basically it. The administration maintained those relationships which is why we were the first call. If we'd have gotten shitty with them and filed suit like UConn did, maybe we'd be in the AAC right now.

UConn's lawsuit had nothing to do with them not being invited in 2011.