Gross Leaving = 44 Restoration? | Syracusefan.com

Gross Leaving = 44 Restoration?

Cuse_Albs

Scout Team
Will Gross leaving help the case for restoring 44? Definitely think it's a possibility, seeing that Gross was the one who retired it in the first place, and it wasn't looking likely he was going to go back on that decision. Being a huge play in the recruitment of Robert Washington, and the pieces that could come with him, I'd love to see him get the number, and bring back the great tradition of the 44s at Cuse

Here's to getting an AD that brings us to the next level. Go Cuse!

I think a new tradition of great Syracuse football will be helped much more by an AD who can maximize athletic revenues and reinvest it into football than a pair of digits coming out of the rafters.

I think a new tradition of great Syracuse football will be helped much more by an AD who can maximize athletic revenues and reinvest it into football than a pair of digits coming out of the rafters.
60304012.jpg

Cuse_Albs said:
Will Gross leaving help the case for restoring 44? Definitely think it's a possibility, seeing that Gross was the one who retired it in the first place, and it wasn't looking likely he was going to go back on that decision. Being a huge play in the recruitment of Robert Washington, and the pieces that could come with him, I'd love to see him get the number, and bring back the great tradition of the 44s at Cuse Here's to getting an AD that brings us to the next level. Go Cuse!

It's been on the table for a couple years. I think it would have been brought back, Gross or no Gross.

texasorange said:
Not if they are gray.

You mean like Oregon? They wore pink kicking someone's arse and people strangely figured it out.

You mean like Oregon? They wore pink kicking someone's arse and people strangely figured it out.
I know what you're saying, the program makes the uniform recognizable, not the other way around. But, I can't even say how many times I've turned on a game the past three years and had to read the scoreboard or wait until they showed it at commercial break to even figure out who was playing.

I'm an avid fan, who's worshipped college and pro football since I got out of diapers. What's it like for the amateurs? Do they not care bc they're amateurs? Do they think it's cool because they have no ties to history or roots? Whose the bigger contingent?

If you win, everyone will recognize the uniforms.

Last year I watched probably ten to fifteen teams that wore all white - pants, jerseys and helmets - including Syracuse University.

There was no way to distinguish any team from the other.

That is Nike branding, not individual school branding.

And the same goes for the all black or all grey looks.

I should not have to spend even a millisecond trying to ID my team or any major college football team.

Over the past two years, Syracuse University lost one of its only if it not its only brand.

Yuck.

Finwad32 said:
I know what you're saying, the program makes the uniform recognizable, not the other way around. But, I can't even say how many times I've turned on a game the past three years and had to read the scoreboard or wait until they showed it at commercial break to even figure out who was playing. I'm an avid fan, who's worshipped college and pro football since I got out of diapers. What's it like for the amateurs? Do they not care bc they're amateurs? Do they think it's cool because they have no ties to history or roots? Whose the bigger contingent?

I don't want to rehash old arguments. And I should say up front that I'm pro-more Orange, don't love the new uni's, and generally defer to the athletes opinions on what they will be wearing.

I don't think it has to be an either or - you can honor tradition and get new swag for the kids (Ohio State does a nice job with this). And I think the TV scoreboard and technology have made this "wear what you want" UNI thing possible.

Bottom line is that Uni's are way down the list of what could be improved about college football - here and everywhere.

So, does anyone with any insider knowledge know definitively whether the wheels are in motion?

Someone came out of the woodwork on the NCAA board saying that, yes, it's going to happen. Could someone PM me if they can confirm this? It's important to me to find this out soon.

I'm still awaiting Bailey's article. I know he said that it was pushed back, and now we have the big stories breaking yesterday. Perhaps around the Spring Game.

Last year I watched probably ten to fifteen teams that wore all white - pants, jerseys and helmets - including Syracuse University.

There was no way to distinguish any team from the other.

That is Nike branding, not individual school branding.

And the same goes for the all black or all grey looks.

I should not have to spend even a millisecond trying to ID my team or any major college football team.

Over the past two years, Syracuse University lost one of its only if it not its only brand.

Yuck.
Last year, I watched a bunch of Illinois games and pretended it was SU.