hackett interviewing for jags OC job now | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

hackett interviewing for jags OC job now

dinosaurbbq said:
Its illogical to take $4 million to leave instead of $8 million guaranteed to stay unless you believe you will earn the $4 million you threw away to work for someone else. He had such a belief and was, thus, logical. However, it is absolutely arrogant and he appears to have been wrong. It was an $8 million guaranteed contract. Even though there is a new owner, they remain liable for the $8 million owed on the contract. He tore it up thinking he was going to earn more elsewhere. It appears he was wrong and that makes me smile. There are still HC openings and its quite possible he will get one. If he does, I will stop smiling.

And we don't know the dollars behind the extension he was offered. If it was the same, he could have given up as much as $12m (if a 2 year extension) to take $4m and a gamble the next 3 years would get him at least $12m someplace. I don't like that bet unless I know I have a landing place to make that $12m. In the end, it could be a huge net negative. He's not getting $4m/year anyplace as an OC or consultant.

This is exciting/titillating because Doug Marrone opted out of a contract that would have paid him $8 million over the next 2 years and instead gambled that he could take the $4 million for doing nothing and get a HC job elsewhere to effectively double dip. As of now, it appears he lost his gamble. I, and likely others here, am happy that he lost that gamble, because I would literally give my left nut for the $4 million he would have earned for coaching the Bills in 2016 that he threw away in opting out. How arrogant do you have to be to throw away $4 million in the expectation you can get more elsewhere? How arrogant do you have to be to do so after achieving a .500 record in the NFL where coaches have been fired in the past even after achieving much better records for their teams?

I think one of the biggest thing that irks most people is that he is a 2nd year NFL head coach. It's not like this was a long term successful head coach that just got fed up with an organization or just wanted a change and opted out of his contract (which players tend to do quite a bit). In his position, 99.9% of people would have stayed and continued to build on what they had done to prove themselves. After another successful year at the helm he would have been in a much better position to demand a new contract and a raise, or leave after his contract was up after year 4. I know that the timing of this clause kicked in based on the sale of the Bills, but in my opinion he would have been much better positioned after another year, assuming it was successful.

However, I think he was looking at the probability that the team would take a step back next year with no 1st Round pick to get an immediate impact player, with the expected turnover at running back, and having to find another journeyman QB to nurse them through another season. He probably figured his value would be higher now because of the season they had so he rolled the dice... to this point, obviously that hasn't turned out how he thought it would. He could still land in Denver or Atlanta, but it doesn't sound like the chance is really high in either place. Right or wrong, I think the way he left and the negative press that followed turned alot of prospective teams off hiring him regardless of what happened during interviews.

Seems like he made a simple miscalculation of how much leverage one winning season produces in the NFL.

This looks like Marrone went down to Jacksonville and promoted Hackett for the job.

Yeah...but let's face it, you'd give your left nut for the $4M he took with him too.

So let's forget coaching for now. You are in your job and you have the equivalent of a .500 record where as you say, people are fired for such a "performance". You realize you have a contract that says you can opt out and collect $4M during a 3-day period. You also know your company was recently purchased by a new owner and there is uncertainty there. Are you saying it is arrogant to take the $4M or just plain logical?

Ugh, I hate these exercises where people try to equate NFL or college head coach jobs to regular work.

The only think a football head coaching job is like is being a football head coach.

It is not Wall Street, or technology, or engineering, or sales, or fryolator management. It is a job wholly unique to itself.

However, I think he was looking at the probability that the team would take a step back next year with no 1st Round pick to get an immediate impact player, with the expected turnover at running back, and having to find another journeyman QB to nurse them through another season.

It's unlikely SU would have been better in 2013 than they were in 2012.

It's possible Buffalo would not have been better in 2015 than they were in 2014.

Some people might call this selling high.

Problem is that you need a buyer.

Ugh, I hate these exercises where people try to equate NFL or college head coach jobs to regular work.

The only think a football head coaching job is like is being a football head coach.

It is not Wall Street, or technology, or engineering, or sales, or fryolator management. It is a job wholly unique to itself.
I bet a buck he becomes a football coach again.

Funny
He goes to Jacksonville and discusses an OC position and the next day his own own OC from 2 prior jobs is there for an OC interview. Sorry, but that is more than coincidence.

He goes to Jacksonville and discusses an OC position and the next day his own own OC from 2 prior obs is there for an OC interview. Sorry, but that is more than coincidence.

Sounds like two guys looking for employment to me. We shall see

He goes to Jacksonville and discusses an OC position and the next day his own own OC from 2 prior jobs is there for an OC interview. Sorry, but that is more than coincidence.
he probably said that if hes the OC, he will need hacket to call the plays.

and they thought, why the F do we need you then??

lets get hacket down here...

he probably said that if hes the OC, he will need hacket to call the plays.

and they thought, why the F do we need you then??

lets get hacket down here...

I bet Hack just unloaded on him.. I would. They had solid employment lined up and Marrone blew it. I bet all the guys that went with him to Buffalo are scratching their heads a bit.

Hack better get those Kid and Play for idiots books back out.

Dumpster fire.

I bet Hack just unloaded on him.. I would. They had solid employment lined up and Marrone blew it. I bet all the guys that went with him to Buffalo are scratching their heads a bit.

Hack better get those Kid and Play for idiots books back out.

Dumpster fire.
i wonder if the buffalo assistants knew about that 4 million russ brandon jackpot clause

xc84 said:

They're all looking for any job since they were all cast aside.

They're all looking for any job since they were all cast aside.
they finish the season 9-7...all excited and figuring theyre all coming back...and then boom!! unemployed...

im sure they all love him right about now...

xc84 said:
Honestly, I don't really get why this excited some so much. Marrone wanted out of Buffalo and he knew he could leave with $4M. He exercised that option. He probably thought he could get hired as a HC but knew there was a distinct possibility that he might not be hired. He accepted that risk. Given that as HC jobs get filled and not by him, he's also looking at other avenues including coordinator and even "consultant" work which, by the way, probably pays him nicely though no where near what a HC makes. It would be a temporary stop in his search for a new HC position which he may or may not ever get. I don't get why that is so titillating. In addition, they guy has been classy and kept quiet about the situation and has not thrown jabs at anyone ... which we can't say about others.

Classy by keeping quiet about the situation. That's funny.

I wonder if Marrones ego is so big he thought for sure he'd get another HC job and bring all those guys with him

So Hackett took a demotion too.
He went from no job to a job. That's a promotion. I will post here next year too... after the plan is final.

I wonder if Marrones ego is so big he thought for sure he'd get another HC job and bring all those guys with him
Doesn't Nate realize Doug is not yet HC?

xc84 said:
He went from no job to a job. That's a promotion. I will post here next year too... after the plan is final.

Well I guess your right. OC to no job to QB. And yes, this is some grand plan. How many plans does Marrobe have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom