haha our bench on the last shot | Syracusefan.com

haha our bench on the last shot

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
wow even they knew that shot wasnt going in, not 1 player stood up expecting that shot to go in and celebrate a buzzer beater. im seriously not sure if ive ever seen that before, a potential game winning buzzer beater guys always stand up and anticipate a big celebration. that shot was so anticlimactic

So you're saying it was the anti-Kanter.
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016...new-stephen-curry-game-winner-vine-highlights

Is there a pic of that. Would love to see it. I had already stood up and taken two steps toward the exit of the bar I was in before it left his hands.

Frank Howard needs to know nobody is behind him on the press. Mike also did not box the shooter. You can tell Trevor was simply setting up space for the jumper and the way he drives the ball I may have to give him credit. He had a better shot at making the shot IMHO than making a play off the bounce.

wow even they knew that shot wasnt going in, not 1 player stood up expecting that shot to go in and celebrate a buzzer beater. im seriously not sure if ive ever seen that before, a potential game winning buzzer beater guys always stand up and anticipate a big celebration. that shot was so anticlimactic

They've all practiced and played with Cooney for a long time and they've seen his clutch performances. They know he's not going to make that shot.

Frank Howard needs to know nobody is behind him on the press. Mike also did not box the shooter. You can tell Trevor was simply setting up space for the jumper and the way he drives the ball I may have to give him credit. He had a better shot at making the shot IMHO than making a play off the bounce.

That's Cooney's box out. Cooney boxes out, Gbinije goes for ball and takes it upcourt.

I thought it looked good from the television angle
He had the length right, but it was just a tad too much to the left. I think when we took the dribble to his right he overcompensated too much and it led to his shoot being too far to the left

A few things from the Youtube video:

1. Great travel on that jumper.
2. Lydon seems to turn to ensure that he doesn't screen Robinson on that pass that's intercepted. Weird.
3. On the press, good arm-bar to ward off Roberson. Not that I would have called that either.
4. Does Cooney not know he can start boxing out on the release, he looks like he's waiting for the ball to him the rim? I'm assuming there is not some rule change that I missed 8 years ago.
4. Eh. We lost.

watching those replay's of that foul shot is damning. You have two 5th year senior guards at the top of the key, and both are completely passive and ball watching and don't even bother to take even rudimentary steps toward boxing out.

So much of winning is attention to detail. That entire last sequence displayed how little this Syracuse team cared about detail. Losing almost 2 seconds because of not boxing out? Failing to use picks/create space for the inbounds (at least according to JB, someone wasn't where they were supposed to be). Pitt was up on ALL the Syracuse players (look at the guy blanketing Lydon) and they intentionally didn't follow Cooney to the corner to receive the inbounds pass. Pitt actively wanted the ball in Cooney's hands. At no point in his trip up court does Cooney look to pass, or another Syracuse player look to create space or cut or get open (they are simply jogging up court - only Roberson was sprinting). Cooney shoots the ball with 2.3 seconds left - so enough time to pass or work for a better shot, but not enough time to allow for a possible offensive rebound/tip in. No Syracuse player was below the foul line when Cooney went up for his shot - they were only down 1 point! Make Pitt defend all over!

watching those replay's of that foul shot is damning. You have two 5th year senior guards at the top of the key, and both are completely passive and ball watching and don't even bother to take even rudimentary steps toward boxing out.

So much of winning is attention to detail. That entire last sequence displayed how little this Syracuse team cared about detail. Losing almost 2 seconds because of not boxing out? Failing to use picks/create space for the inbounds (at least according to JB, someone wasn't where they were supposed to be). Pitt was up on ALL the Syracuse players (look at the guy blanketing Lydon) and they intentionally didn't follow Cooney to the corner to receive the inbounds pass. Pitt actively wanted the ball in Cooney's hands. At no point in his trip up court does Cooney look to pass, or another Syracuse player look to create space or cut or get open (they are simply jogging up court - only Roberson was sprinting). Cooney shoots the ball with 2.3 seconds left - so enough time to pass or work for a better shot, but not enough time to allow for a possible offensive rebound/tip in. No Syracuse player was below the foul line when Cooney went up for his shot - they were only down 1 point! Make Pitt defend all over!
You have a TO specifically to get G the ball - and a player isn't where they're supposed to be? Said player would have one thing to do on the play.

No attempt to set a screen to get G the ball. Nothing. Not a G-D thing. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Nothing whatsoever. Brilliant.

That's good right

agree. cooney gets all the blame but that was just terrible execution by everyone. G didnt try to get open, lydon was just standing still at center court, nobody screened or cut or did anything!

No attempt to set a screen to get G the ball. Nothing. Not a G-D thing. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Nothing whatsoever. Brilliant.

Absolutely unbelievable. I was beside myself that were so content to let them take Gbinije away and inbound it to Cooney. Absolutely zero chance he was going to come through.

I remember being mad when Michael Lloyd was the guy taking the shot against Arkansas in the '95 tournament. That was nothing compared to this.

He was a decoy:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom