Hanna Strong | Syracusefan.com

Hanna Strong

A lot of cuse athletes defending her to an extent. Jerome smith Keon Lyn others. They are defending her in a really good way IMO.

Actually really changed my prospective on it. And gives me hope that people can get along in the future. It's going to take more than waiting for 1 side to mess up and scream and yell racism. Reading their tweets showed me that's kind of what I did.

Ugh. What are Smith and Lyn saying? Not sure how you can spin her words positively... Oh Lord

Ugh. What are Smith and Lyn saying? Not sure how you can spin her words positively... Oh Lord

Lyn said something about all the good things she has done for him and that one mistake wouldn't change his opinion. Pretty respectful response- not condoning her comments, but also judging her on more than this video.

Statement from Syracuse University Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross:

"We are aware of the offensive comments made last night by a member of the women's soccer team. This type of intolerant and hurtful language, focused on both race and sexual orientation, is not part of the culture we seek to foster among our student-athletes and it has no place at Syracuse University.

"Earlier today, this student-athlete was indefinitely suspended from the team by Coach Phil Wheddon. In addition I have been in contact with Senior Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz. An active investigation is underway by the University's Department of Public Safety and Title IX Office and their findings will be immediately reported to the Office of Students Rights and Responsibilities.

"Syracuse Athletics, as a strong and diverse part of this University community, has zero tolerance for these actions."

http://cuse.com/news/2014/9/6/GEN_0906144020.aspx#.VAtzjPldUo7

Lyn said something about all the good things she has done for him and that one mistake wouldn't change his opinion. Pretty respectful response- not condoning her comments, but also judging her on more than this video.
Agreed - pretty measured and mature response.

Thanks, and I agree. Mature response.

not spinning it positively, just looking at the whole picture.

but 1 of them states that she primarily hangs out with black people and that she "messes" with a black guy.

They both seem to know her well and neither think that this represents her.

I do think its important to understand its just a word. And no matter how hateful a word can be, it doesn't make someone racist unless its meant to be racist by the user. That is where people get it dead wrong IMO.

In the video, I assumed she was using it to be racist. But there are still other reasons to say a word. In arguments, I have said the worst possible things to get under peoples skin and regret as soon as the argument is over.

For all we know, she said it to her BF in an argument. We know its not racist if thats the case.

not spinning it positively, just looking at the whole picture.

but 1 of them states that she primarily hangs out with black people and that she "messes" with a black guy.

They both seem to know her well and neither think that this represents her.

I do think its important to understand its just a word. And no matter how hateful a word can be, it doesn't make someone racist unless its meant to be racist by the user. That is where people get it dead wrong IMO.

In the video, I assumed she was using it to be racist. But there are still other reasons to say a word. In arguments, I have said the worst possible things to get under peoples skin and regret as soon as the argument is over.

For all we know, she said it to her BF in an argument. We know its not racist if thats the case.
Agreed. And just to be clear, I was not saying you were trying to spin it positively. I was more talking about Smith and Lyn. And 'spinning it positively' was probably the wrong choice of words...

Agreed. And just to be clear, I was not saying you were trying to spin it positively. I was more talking about Smith and Lyn. And 'spinning it positively' was probably the wrong choice of words...

No reason to explain... I originally was really pissed about the video... Now I just hope she doesn't get kicked off the team for it. (still going to have to face some punishment/suspension)

A suspension seems like the right call (along with whatever SU Judicial will impose), but it's an opportunity for more education. Both slurs used in the video are troubling.

Kind of a misleading headline. She hasn't been suspended from school (at least as far as I have seen anywhere), just the team.

She's suspended from being a soccer player.

Keon Lyn also had a sarcastic tweet. "I might join the post standard, just need a new suit" eskridge and jerome replied wih the laughing emoji.

Goes to show what the players think of cuse.com

I agree with them in this situation. Don't want to get political however. So yeah

Terrel Hunt is in this as well.

As if he needs more controversy lol.

Have to let her go from the team.

Have to let her go from the team.

which means that a video basically ruins her life.

and according to a lot of people close to her that are black, she isn't even remotely a racist. No way she gets kicked off if she just says the 'f' slur.

This world is cold sometimes.

pretty crazy to me that a word (and its important to note that not a racist person) gets her kicked off. Yet people steal computers, credit cards, rapists, and drug dealers/users don't. It is just so insane to me what people/administrators/media decide to place such harsh emphasis on and how it is just accepted.

Last edited:
Matt Schneidman@matt_schneidman · 1h
Six-time NFL Pro Bowler Chad Johnson is tweeting about Hanna Strong. This could spread quickly.

Matt Schneidman@matt_schneidman · 1h
Six-time NFL Pro Bowler Chad Johnson is tweeting about Hanna Strong. This could spread quickly.
Because so many people listen to what the former Ocho Cinco has to say... Oh Lord

which means that a video basically ruins her life.

and according to a lot of people close to her that are black, she isn't even remotely a racist. No way she gets kicked off if she just says the 'f' slur.

This world is cold sometimes.

pretty crazy to me that a word (and its important to note that not a racist person) gets her kicked off. Yet people steal computers, credit cards, rapists, and drug dealers/users don't. It is just so insane to me what people/administrators/media decide to place such harsh emphasis on and how it is just accepted.
Keon and Jerome both know her apparently. She isn't racist. If she was she wouldn't hang around them ever.