Hanna Strong | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Hanna Strong

Like I said you are too close to the situation. You act like she was some goddess. That was her true personality caught on tape. A snapshot of her life. It has nothing to do with me. But like someone else said, everyone is at fault and not the girl.
And it does have something to do with you when you make the statement that you don't feel sorry for her at all. No. No one said she was a goddess. Just a college kid making a dumb statement. You show no compassion for another human being who made a mistake. She has been punished for that mistake far more than other Syracuse students have been or would have been.

tough situation for sure. Just brutal, easy for people to pass judgement, at the same time the world we live in these days. Never like the "she hangs out with all black people" argument. Word just should not be used, and certainly never by white people, world we live in I guess, far from perfect. Unfortunate
The problem I have is that there should be no words that are a okay for one race to use and not okay for the other. Words are words. If we don't want them used, no one should use them.

I'm curious - when Riley Cooper was filmed using racial slurs, how many people blamed the person who shot the video and uploaded it?

Well there is a new chancellor so maybe some of the things that got swept under the rug won't anymore.

Maybe. But wasn't he here when Hunt punched the other player during a televised game? If dismissal from a team is his reaction to a co-ed using naughty words, what will SU do when something that actually matters happens? The only things left are school suspension or expulsion.

I'm curious - when Riley Cooper was filmed using racial slurs, how many people blamed the person who shot the video and uploaded it?
How long was Cooper suspended? Was he thrown off the team?

How long was Cooper suspended? Was he thrown off the team?
That's not even remotely my point. My point is that the accountability has to be on the person actually doing the bad thing. I cannot stress enough how stunned I am that the responsibility for this is being put on everyone BUT the person who actually said those things in this case.

Should the video person have uploaded it? Of course not. But look at the world we live in - kids put absolutely anything and everything online. It was going to happen.

That's not even remotely my point. My point is that the accountability has to be on the person actually doing the bad thing. I cannot stress enough how stunned I am that the responsibility for this is being put on everyone BUT the person who actually said those things in this case.

Should the video person have uploaded it? Of course not. But look at the world we live in - kids put absolutely anything and everything online. It was going to happen.
Where have you seen that Hanna has no accountability here? Where? Not from me. And I would guess I am her biggest supporter here. I think she should have faced punishment. But the way this girl has been treated by her coach, the A.D. and the Chancy, makes me ill. Her coaches, cowards all, didn't return her messages.

I would guess that SU hoped they could quietly remove her from the roster before being forced to decide if she could participate in Senior Night. I'm sure other students would have protested her recognition, but frankly, that wouldn't be a terrible thing (dialogue impacts more change than pretending nothing happened).

It's unfortunate that a student-athlete has received such a severe punishment from an Ath Dept that has handed out less to students who either stole property; had a dui and ran from cops; and hit a woman.

I would guess that SU hoped they could quietly remove her from the roster before being forced to decide if she could participate in Senior Night. I'm sure other students would have protested her recognition, but frankly, that wouldn't be a terrible thing (dialogue impacts more change than pretending nothing happened).

It's unfortunate that a student-athlete has received such a severe punishment from an Ath Dept that has handed out less to students who either stole property; had a dui and ran from cops; and hit a woman.
Exactly. Thank you.

Full_Rebar said:

That's the really cowardly thing by SU.

NKR1978 said:
That's the really cowardly thing by SU.

No knowledge here but I would not be surprised that the decision to remove her was the coaches and not SU. Phil is tough.

No knowledge here but I would not be surprised that the decision to remove her was the coaches and not SU. Phil is tough.
I would bet it was his decision. Tough? I don't know but Tina two years ago was the best player on the team and he cut her right before her sr season. Last year it was Louie, once again right before her sr season. Tina went to Miami and Louie went to UConn. Now Hanna. Tough, maybe. But he sure isn't successful.

dasher said:
I would bet it was his decision. Tough? I don't know but Tina two years ago was the best player on the team and he cut her right before her sr season. Last year it was Louie, once again right before her sr season. Tina went to Miami and Louie went to UConn. Now Hanna. Tough, maybe. But he sure isn't successful.

Not successful? They've been up and down this year but SU women's soccer has had its most success since he arrived. Not to say anything about the 2 gold medals he has or the work he's done with the World Cup teams.

Not successful? They've been up and down this year but SU women's soccer has had its most success since he arrived. Not to say anything about the 2 gold medals he has or the work he's done with the World Cup teams.
I care about what he has done with his Syracuse teams. they have not been successful. How many ncaa tournaments has he been in? How many tournament wins? I think the # is 0. That doesn't scream success to me.

dasher said:
I care about what he has done with his Syracuse teams. they have not been successful. How many ncaa tournaments has he been in? How many tournament wins? I think the # is 0. That doesn't scream success to me.

Check what they were before he came here. I'm sure it's hard as hell to recruit soccer players to SU. The men's team has finally started to have success because they've been able to bring in several foreign players and they have the best goalie in the country.

Check what they were before he came here. I'm sure it's hard as hell to recruit soccer players to SU. The men's team has finally started to have success because they've been able to bring in several foreign players and they have the best goalie in the country.
the boys won two Big East tournaments back in the 80's under Alden Shattuck. Alden won the national coach of the year twice. Once at Syracuse. You can win at syracuse. The men's coach is proving that.

I think you should probably go back and check the record books. April Kater (mid-late 90s) had some very good teams. Her record blows his out of the water. Wheddon has been a failure here. He's been flat out bad to mediocre (generous).

who is going to hire her upon her graduation this year?

She should have thought about that before she called someone a f*ggot ass n*gger!

She should have thought about that before she called someone a f*ggot ass n*gger!
LOL throw the first stone. I just know you have never said anything that if it was video taped would make you look bad.

LOL throw the first stone. I just know you have never said anything that if it was video taped would make you look bad.

Has anyone? That's not the point. The point is that she should have known better. That's the bottom line.

Has anyone? That's not the point. The point is that she should have known better. That's the bottom line.

I am not sure that is much of a point. This is a young person, an athlete who spends much time in a locker room environment where I am quite sure plenty of salty language is thrown around. It is easy for someone to become comfortable with casually throwing out obscenities amongst a peer group without taking the time to think about it. Did all those who chose to become so shocked and offended by this ever bother to consider the source? Measure what was said and who said it? Is there any tolerance left for a young person who made a mistake? I am not too sure the punishment fit the crime here.

So Hanna Strong has now been fired from her substitute teaching job because of her video. Do you feel that she is still punished unfairly? No matter what you or others think, this is part of her permanent record that is going to haunt her for a very long time.

http://dailyorange.com/2016/01/hann...-player-reportedly-loses-job-over-2014-video/
Of course I feel she was punished unfairly. This was even worse than her syracuse punishment. Criminals are allowed second chances. The NAACP wanted a scalp. The city of spfd lost a good teacher. She was the victim of being too liberal. her boyfriend was a black football player and that is who she hung around with. And they use those words all the time. He girlfriends were fellow soccer players that were gay. This is nothing to celebrate.

Of course I feel she was punished unfairly. This was even worse than her syracuse punishment. Criminals are allowed second chances. The NAACP wanted a scalp. The city of spfd lost a good teacher. She was the victim of being too liberal. her boyfriend was a black football player and that is who she hung around with. And they use those words all the time. He girlfriends were fellow soccer players that were gay. This is nothing to celebrate.
Just admit it's never going to be right for a white person to go around and call a black person a n****r no matter the circumstances.

Just admit it's never going to be right for a white person to go around and call a black person a n****r no matter the circumstances.
Do you think i said it was? Are you crazy? What I said is that we have had kids at our school strike and injure people and not lose their ability to play. We have had kids steal and not lose their ability to play. We had a good kid say something bad while drunk, while living a very good life and she is cooked. I find that ridiculous. I know the kid. She is a great kid. Her life, as i said at the time, is ruined. It's ridiculous. The school fought for Billy Edelin. It fought for Deleone Carter. It fought for MCW. You seem to take delight that this kid's life is shattered. Sad. Oh, by the way, the Bishop (head of the local NAACP is a big fan of Jesse jackson). I'm sure he was upset when the sober Jesse Jackson called New york city hymetown. Nothing to see here.