Happened Upon a Film on PBS the Other Day Called THE RULE... | Syracusefan.com

Happened Upon a Film on PBS the Other Day Called THE RULE...

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
It was an in depth documentary about how a prep school in the inner-city approaches the challenges of educating the kids in their location.

Fascinating.

I was about 15 minutes in before I realized it was about St Benedict's Prep in Newark, the school that sent Tyler Ennis to Syracuse, and will soon also send Bourama Sidibe.

If you have a chance, check it out. Looks like it will be shown on WCNY in CNY on Saturday January 14th at 11:55 AM and 5:55 PM (right about when SU will be finishing off a nice victory over BC).

The Rule | PBS

About the Program

In 530 A.D., the Rule of Saint Benedict was written as a basic “common sense” guide to foster community in a monastery.

In 2014, THE RULE documentary captures how one monastery called Newark Abbey, in the heart of one of America's most impoverished and violent cities, Newark, New Jersey, applies the precepts of this nearly 1500 year old handbook to its school, St. Benedict’s Prep. The Benedictine monks instill a sense of community in the most vulnerable student body: inner-city African American and Latino teenage males - who then go on to achieve amazing educational success.

It was an in depth documentary about how a prep school in the inner-city approaches the challenges of educating the kids in their location.

Fascinating.

I was about 15 minutes in before I realized it was about St Benedict's Prep in Newark, the school that sent Tyler Ennis to Syracuse, and will soon also send Bourama Sidibe.

If you have a chance, check it out. Looks like it will be shown on WCNY in CNY on Saturday January 14th at 11:55 AM and 5:55 PM (right about when SU will be finishing off a nice victory over BC).

The Rule | PBS

About the Program

In 530 A.D., the Rule of Saint Benedict was written as a basic “common sense” guide to foster community in a monastery.

In 2014, THE RULE documentary captures how one monastery called Newark Abbey, in the heart of one of America's most impoverished and violent cities, Newark, New Jersey, applies the precepts of this nearly 1500 year old handbook to its school, St. Benedict’s Prep. The Benedictine monks instill a sense of community in the most vulnerable student body: inner-city African American and Latino teenage males - who then go on to achieve amazing educational success.
Thanks for the heads up.

Fascinating.

The Rule | PBS

About the Program

I went to record it and it wasn't listed. :(

I went to record it and it wasn't listed. :(
I see that while the search shows it being scheduled, it really isn't.

I will try and see if it is scheduled for another time using other means. Bummer.