Happy Anniversary-5 years Cuse to ACC | Syracusefan.com

Happy Anniversary-5 years Cuse to ACC

candlesjpg-1119933821c73bb8.jpg

Five years ago today it was announced that Cuse and Pitt were accepted into the ACC. I have mixed feelings. Thats for sure. I'll let you know more in five more years.
You'd rather we be in UConn's position?

Fans can be upset that they don't have as many driveable roadies, no local over-the-air TV, etc.. I get it. But comparing being in a P5 conference vs. being in the American (or any other non-P5 conference)? No brainer.

Best thing for SU. I think you are remembering the glory days of the Big East which are great history that will never return.
No. I'm thinking more how we got screwed on the schedule this year. Very unappealing. I'm not looking at the past.

My feeling is that the move was absolutely the right thing to do - but only if the university spends all this windfall money on the athletics program. I'm not sure if they have or not yet. I've asked the question before and no one seemed to know what the plans are for the ACC money. That was a while ago though. Would the Carrier Dome renovations be impossible if we were not bringing in those dollars? The football facility? Hiring Babers? If those type projects couldn't have been undertaken with AAC money, then we have our answer.

You'd rather we be in UConn's position?

Fans can be upset that they don't have as many driveable roadies, no local over-the-air TV, etc.. I get it. But comparing being in a P5 conference vs. being in the American (or any other non-P5 conference)? No brainer.
This.
And you can bet that if we hadn't gotten that last lifeboat, the incessant beotchin' and whining would be indescribable.

I know it was the right move - I just wish it could have been the right move to change. But as JB said in the 30 for 30, the Big East changed more often than it stayed the same.

No. I'm thinking more how we got screwed on the schedule this year. Very unappealing. I'm not looking at the past.

I see your point but it seems like there were a lot of the same complaints when we were in the Big East about not enough Saturday home games, noon games, only playing some teams once including Georgetown a couple years.

I see your point but it seems like there were a lot of the same complaints when we were in the Big East about not enough Saturday home games, noon games, only playing some teams once including Georgetown a couple years.
Only playing Georgetown once a year was a major screwup.

Only playing Georgetown once a year was a major screwup.
Wasn't that caused by the tremendous growth in the size of the BE? The ACC has to deal with that now with the having 15 teams.

A lot in the NCAA is married to the increasingly quaint notion of "fairness". Yes, ESPN will give a gazillion bucks for 2 bball games a year between X and Y, but the conference also believes Z, who is a member in good standing also deserves to have 2 games against X and then Y in order to be fair to everyone. Plus, instead of X or Y having a guaranteed loss, they stand a good chance of picking up a win against the weaker Z team. Z has one reason less to be resentful of X and Y. Look at the fb overtime rule. The NCAA OT is structured on fairness, both teams get the ball, even if the first team on offense gets a TD. They don't want the game decided by who wins the coin flip. They're trying to be fair, not to get the game over ASAP so the next games can be televised.

Wasn't that caused by the tremendous growth in the size of the BE? The ACC has to deal with that now with the having 15 teams.

A lot in the NCAA is married to the increasingly quaint notion of "fairness". Yes, ESPN will give a gazillion bucks for 2 bball games a year between X and Y, but the conference also believes Z, who is a member in good standing also deserves to have 2 games against X and then Y in order to be fair to everyone. Plus, instead of X or Y having a guaranteed loss, they stand a good chance of picking up a win against the weaker Z team. Z has one reason less to be resentful of X and Y. Look at the fb overtime rule. The NCAA OT is structured on fairness, both teams get the ball, even if the first team on offense gets a TD. They don't want the game decided by who wins the coin flip. They're trying to be fair, not to get the game over ASAP so the next games can be televised.
You raise good points, and I hate when conferences get too big (I know, that sounds silly as we are one of the last teams into the bloated ACC). But while the schedule can't be perfectly balanced, I think it is important to do what you can to preserve rivalries.

All true. But here's one of my concerns with the schedule and something that I hope is adjusted if the league truly goes to 20 conference games in 2019. Right now we get BC and Pitt as our annual rivalries. I think one of our two should be Louisville. Better for TV and better for the league. I'd rank TV and our fan interest in games this way - Duke, Georgetown, UConn, Louisville, Nova, UNC, and ND.

I don't see us ever getting Duke in an annual series and while I personally would love to see both Louisville and ND as annual games, I don't think we will get that either. So I say let one of them be the Cards.

Cheers,
Neil

You raise good points, and I hate when conferences get too big (I know, that sounds silly as we are one of the last teams into the bloated ACC). But while the schedule can't be perfectly balanced, I think it is important to do what you can to preserve rivalries.

As the newbie though, we truly don't have rivalries in the ACC other than Pitt and ND. Louisville didn't have time to become a rivalry and BC never truly was one in bb. And so we got Pitt and BC. And those games are downright awful, imho, for the most part. Pitt will never be a powerhouse again unless they adjust their style of play (old BE rough and tumble just doesn't cut it in the ACC) and BC has become a complete joke in the sport whereas before they were at least average. We'd have a rivalry to preserve if UConn were added, but that didn't happen and doesn't appear likely in the near future. So for us, we got the rivalries that were suppose to generate interest in the northeast, games which are rarely highly rated and don't help us if we win and hurt us if we lose (which we tend to against Pitt since Dixon knew how to attack the zone). We'll see if Pitt's success against us continues under Stallings or not.

Cheers,
Neil

I don't see us as rivals with ND at all. They're just another team. Pitt, I don't see as any kind of rival either. Yeah, they've got the better of us head to head, but they just aren't a peer-enough program to call them a rival in my opinion. Louisville is our peer program in the ACC and we had a nice budding rivalry with them in the late years of the Big East.

I don't see us as rivals with ND at all. They're just another team. Pitt, I don't see as any kind of rival either. Yeah, they've got the better of us head to head, but they just aren't a peer-enough program to call them a rival in my opinion. Louisville is our peer program in the ACC and we had a nice budding rivalry with them in the late years of the Big East.

Understand your point of view in regards to ND. I was going to preference ND with a "maybe" before it, but then I remembered those East/West divisions when we were in the West with Georgetown, Pitt, and ND and we played them twice a year for seven years or so. I think we built up a small rivalry with them then and ND has always been more of an ACC team than Pitt and it's shown itself since the move.

But I think we can both agree that Louisville should be one of annual home-and-home games now in the ACC.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom