Class of 2016 - PF Harry Giles (NC) to Duke | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PF Harry Giles (NC) to Duke

chance.jpg

I'd be really interested to see if the staff uses their history with players and ACL injuries in their recruiting picks.

CJ Fair tore his ACL in high school, we stuck with him, and made him a player who was pretty injury free throughout 4 years in college.

Andy Rautins/Eric Devendorf - two players who tore their ACLs, and our top notch training staff got them back to being better than they were pre-injury.

I wonder if they used that with Howard and have spoken it to Giles.
Duany was hurt also.

Question is moot. ;)
McCullough "was" top 10.
Malachi "was" top 10.

Then, all nothingness broke loose. :)

I get what you're saying but "nothingness" didn't really not break loose. McCullough got kicked from his school and played in obscurity and Malachi was on the fringe of being in the top 10. I guess I also should have clarified and said top 10 across the board period.;)

Only reason UK wins battles is because of $$$.

I guess offer uncle Wes a better deal?:noidea:

I'd be really interested to see if the staff uses their history with players and ACL injuries in their recruiting picks.

CJ Fair tore his ACL in high school, we stuck with him, and made him a player who was pretty injury free throughout 4 years in college.

Andy Rautins/Eric Devendorf - two players who tore their ACLs, and our top notch training staff got them back to being better than they were pre-injury.

I wonder if they used that with Howard and have spoken it to Giles.

I hope so because getting him here's going to take all the tricks we have.

I get what you're saying but "nothingness" didn't really not break loose. McCullough got kicked from his school and played in obscurity and Malachi was on the fringe of being in the top 10. I guess I also should have clarified and said top 10 across the board period.;)

I guess offer uncle Wes a better deal?:noidea:
Just because ESPN says Malachi was "on the fringe" of top 10 does not make it a fact. They didn't even have us offering Diagne until he committed so I do not credit their "expertise". ;)
And not saying you haven't already, but take in a few Malachi AAU games if they are still available from Francis' links. You will get a really good picture of how dominant his play is compared to the rest of the field. He is the best shooter in the country for his year, might be the best scorer as well considering this past season's progression.

Just because ESPN says Malachi was "on the fringe" of top 10 does not make it a fact. They didn't even have us offering Diagne until he committed so I do not credit their "expertise". ;)
And not saying you haven't already, but take in a few Malachi AAU games if they are still available from Francis' links. You will get a really good picture of how dominant his play is compared to the rest of the field. He is the best shooter in the country for his year, might be the best scorer as well considering this past season's progression.

Just used the service that had him currently ranked the highest. Does 24/7, rivals and scout having him ranked 66, 28 and 24 make it fact? I've seen him play and I think he projects as a excellent player at the next level. Never the point. Don't get the objections you're having. The examples of recruits you provided didn't finish in the top 10 or currently ranked in the top 10. Doesn't mean they wont end up being better players then half the guys ranked in front of them. I just thought it be cool, exciting, nice or w/e to bring in a kid ranked across the bored in the top 10.

Just used the service that had him currently ranked the highest. Does 24/7, rivals and scout having him ranked 66, 28 and 24 make it fact? I've seen him play and I think he projects as a excellent player at the next level. Never the point. Don't get the objections you're having. The examples of recruits you provided didn't finish in the top 10 or currently ranked in the top 10. Doesn't mean they wont end up being better players then half the guys ranked in front of them. I just thought it be cool, exciting, nice or w/e to bring in a kid ranked across the bored in the top 10.
Gotcha and with ya. I am excited for our current commits either way and Giles would be a great get. And no, I am not sure of rivals, yahoo or 247. I just think these 'services' are agenda based and I won't even get into that. As long as the staff sees talent in the guys they bring in, that they fit into the system and contribute, then I'm happy.

If you think about it, those companies need a way to attract their clients. They need to keep people interested, therefore when people commit they have a tendency to go down in the rankings because they need to keep it interesting. If say 25 of the top 30 are all committed and the unanimous top 5 are all going somewhere there is no reason to really pay attention. But when you get down to end, and you have 4 guys who are not committed, it gets much more interesting if they are highly ranked. Currently on Scout, only 4 top 20 players are committed for next years class, only 1 in the top 10. Ben simmons is the only top 10 player who is committed. Rivals has 3 guys in the top 20 committed. I mean what has Richardson done to drop from a consensus top 20 recruit into the lower 20's? He has only improved and scored at will in the AAU season, but he commits and all of a sudden starts to drop down the list while non committed players rise. Look at Mccullough, he was at one point a top 5 player in his class. He commits and all of a sudden he drops to the 20's. They have to keep their subscribers someway or another and people are going to pay more attention if top players are still available and being recruited by their team. I couldn't tell you how many of those 4 guys on scout recently committed, but i think at least one if not 2 of them committed after the updated rankings came out.

If you think about it, those companies need a way to attract their clients. They need to keep people interested, therefore when people commit they have a tendency to go down in the rankings because they need to keep it interesting. If say 25 of the top 30 are all committed and the unanimous top 5 are all going somewhere there is no reason to really pay attention. But when you get down to end, and you have 4 guys who are not committed, it gets much more interesting if they are highly ranked. Currently on Scout, only 4 top 20 players are committed for next years class, only 1 in the top 10. Ben simmons is the only top 10 player who is committed. Rivals has 3 guys in the top 20 committed. I mean what has Richardson done to drop from a consensus top 20 recruit into the lower 20's? He has only improved and scored at will in the AAU season, but he commits and all of a sudden starts to drop down the list while non committed players rise. Look at Mccullough, he was at one point a top 5 player in his class. He commits and all of a sudden he drops to the 20's. They have to keep their subscribers someway or another and people are going to pay more attention if top players are still available and being recruited by their team. I couldn't tell you how many of those 4 guys on scout recently committed, but i think at least one if not 2 of them committed after the updated rankings came out.
Never really thought about it this way, but in the interest of money, it makes sense.

I hear what you're saying and sometimes I feel that way also. Donte Greene back in 07 was the last consensus top 10 recruit SU has landed. Like Tee said, McCullough was suppose to be that top 10 guy but unfortunately once he couldn't reclassify into 2013, he seem to become bored with HS ball and just stopped caring imo.

Like Francis says we rarely waste valuable recruiting time with kids we don't think we can get. Kind of reminds me of trying to pry D Sims out of Michigan. We think we have shot, and will give it a go, but ultimately I think he ends up at duke or uk. The shitstorm at unc is going to set them back to the Matt Doherty days.

What makes this kid so much better than mccullough? Im just as excited as everyone else but im not gonna overlook the stud we already got. Not saying any of you are.

What makes this kid so much better than mccullough? Im just as excited as everyone else but im not gonna overlook the stud we already got. Not saying any of you are.
I would have to see a couple of full games to be sure, but perhaps aggression. McCullough is incredibly talented, but seems unchallenged. Hopefully in college, he has the drive to be the star he is meant to be. Giles seems to have that drive already.

I tells ya, he's the second coming of Chris Bosh. Remember when he was coming up at Ga Tech? He's got that handle for one and definitely thinks like a guard. I am not saying he's as athletic as the Hammer, but he's got a few tools CMac doesn't have. I am not saying this makes him better. Just. Different. :)

He would be the perfect Power Forward for us, if we can get him, he and Diange and possibly Bryant would be a heck of a front court.

Francis said it's looking good that we get him WOO HOO...just kidding, I am pretty sure that isn't what he meant. But some will jump to that conclusion.
Looking pretty good due to the fact that a year ago around this time the kid had a torn ACL, MCL, and the meniscus. He's still not even 100%, so imagine how much better he'll look when that happens. I still feel that he's a long shot but I think Red has earned the right for us to trust him in a recruiting battle.

Was offered by SU tonight. 6'10 forward from North Carolina that is ranked top 3 in his class. Personally unless Red or Hop have some close connection here I don't think we have a shot, but hey I guess it's worth a try.
Sounds like a boy band member...

Looking pretty good due to the fact that a year ago around this time the kid had a torn ACL, MCL, and the meniscus. He's still not even 100%, so imagine how much better he'll look when that happens. I still feel that he's a long shot but I think Red has earned the right for us to trust him in a recruiting battle.
Yeah, I figured that is what you meant, but we all get so excited about recruiting that we tend to interpret things the way we want, and I could see someone seeing that as we are looking good in the recruiting war for him. JB and staff definitely don't like to waste their time in recruiting, so if they are working on him, they must think they have a chance. The kid is incredible. How often do you see a big guy like him bang down low, handle like a guard and shoot from mid range (I am not completely sold on his three point shooting, Francis, tell me I am wrong).

If he goes to Duke or YUK with calamari he will be #1 in the class. But if he goes to Cuse he will fall to #27. Wonder if we can use that to our advantage lol. Our real advantage is we are good at getting HS stars coming off Knee injuries to have great careers at the Dome. Would be nice to get him to relate to that.

Yeah, I figured that is what you meant, but we all get so excited about recruiting that we tend to interpret things the way we want, and I could see someone seeing that as we are looking good in the recruiting war for him. JB and staff definitely don't like to waste their time in recruiting, so if they are working on him, they must think they have a chance. The kid is incredible. How often do you see a big guy like him bang down low, handle like a guard and shoot from mid range (I am not completely sold on his three point shooting, Francis, tell me I am wrong).
Looking at his Peach Jam stats out of his 64 FG attempts, he only shot 4 threes going 2-4. Either he needs to shoot more from out there or he's just not confident enough in that shot at this point.

Looking at his Peach Jam stats out of his 64 FG attempts, he only shot 4 threes going 2-4. Either he needs to shoot more from out there or he's just not confident enough in that shot at this point.
I actually like that. The kid is solid pretty much everywhere on the court. If he is smart enough to stay with his strengths while working on other areas, it shows maturity and a high basketball IQ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom