Class of 2016 - PF Harry Giles (NC) to Duke | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PF Harry Giles (NC) to Duke

I would hope we at least succeed in getting him on campus. It seems guys really like their trips to the SU since we opened the Melo center. I know he is a long shot but once in a while you get a guy who wants to get away from home so why not us at that point. This is obviously a kid who can write his own ticket so I glad that there is at least some interest on his part.
We should just show him the indoor pool, crank the heat, maybe invite him during the summer...you know, make him feel at home ;)

tqY0t.png

I attended this game at City Of Palms and came away very impressed with Giles but Kwe Parker's athleticism and play stole the show. HG for his size has the skills of a guard in a big mans body. He is definitely still recovering from his knee injury but just looked like a man against boys. He was being guarded by a 6'7" Joseph Toye all night. If I were to guess about 18 of his 27 points came of oops or drop off passes where he finished with a 2 handed dunk. He also finished well after contact with several And 1's. Kwe Parker showed a nice shot, good on ball D, excellent passing, and springs that nearly hit his head on the rim. Very strong player in every facet with a flair to his game that gets the crowd going.

I have said before Giles would be our biggest get on the recruiting trail in years. The dude can do it all and will be a dominant college player for a short period of time.

What JB did to get Melo, he should be doing and then some to convince Giles to come to Cuse

I have said before Giles would be our biggest get on the recruiting trail in years. The dude can do it all and will be a dominant college player for a short period of time.

What JB did to get Melo, he should be doing and then some to convince Giles to come to Cuse
JB had Troy Weaver, who had a tight relationship with Melo. Lets pray Red has some kind of connections working here since he's the lead recruiter in this one.

JB had Troy Weaver, who had a tight relationship with Melo. Lets pray Red has some kind of connections working here since he's the lead recruiter in this one.

Well I still remember Melo talking about coming home from school one day and Jim Boeheim is sitting on his stoop waiting for him. That was huge for Melo. That's what I'm saying JB should be doing for Giles.

I have to assume if we can get Giles in the Melo center our chances skyrocket. When's the next time we could get him up here? Gotta be late in the season I'd assume.

Well I still remember Melo talking about coming home from school one day and Jim Boeheim is sitting on his stoop waiting for him. That was huge for Melo. That's what I'm saying JB should be doing for Giles.

I have to assume if we can get Giles in the Melo center our chances skyrocket. When's the next time we could get him up here? Gotta be late in the season I'd assume.

Doesn't he also say something about hearing that Jimmy was in b-more to watch him and he said "ain't no Boehiem coming around here." I agree I think it made a big impression on Melo that JB had no issues going to any part of Baltimore. I also remember that Carlton Hines documentary which one of Hines close "affiliates" basically said the reason he committed to SU was that JB just came by himself into the hood and knocked on his door.

Doesn't he also say something about hearing that Jimmy was in b-more to watch him and he said "ain't no Boehiem coming around here." I agree I think it made a big impression on Melo that JB had no issues going to any part of Baltimore. I also remember that Carlton Hines documentary which one of Hines close "affiliates" basically said the reason he committed to SU was that JB just came by himself into the hood and knocked on his door.
That was huge for Melo. Heck I'd imagine it would be huge for any kid, but Melo never expected an old curmudgeon to take on the Baltimore hood to see him. The impression it left was huge. Now Giles doesn't live in quite the situation Melo does. But if JB were sitting on his doorstep on a Thursday afternoon when he gets off the school bus, you can't tell me that wouldn't make one heck of an impression.

Disclaimer: being that Giles is a 2016 I have no idea when that sort of thing would be allowed by NCAA rules. But JB should be going all out for him (and Battle) when it becomes possible to do in home visits. Also he needs to get Giles on campus soon.

Disclaimer: being that Giles is a 2016 I have no idea when that sort of thing would be allowed by NCAA rules. But JB should be going all out for him (and Battle) when it becomes possible to do in home visits. Also he needs to get Giles on campus soon.

I was wondering this myself as inhomes seem closely regulated.

Francis any indication that we will get Giles on campus for a visit at some point? I refuse to let myself hope until that happens.

Juniors are allowed to take their official visits starting on Jan 1st. So I gotta assume they'll try and work something out during ACC play if he's really serious about SU. Hopefully we're not just a courtesy name drop for him, which I kind of doubt anyway because JB isn't the one to fly around and recruit players that he believes would be a long shot and waste of time.

Juniors are allowed to take their official visits starting on Jan 1st. So I gotta assume they'll try and work something out during ACC play if he's really serious about SU. Hopefully we're not just a courtesy name drop for him, which I kind of doubt anyway because JB isn't the one to fly around and recruit players that he believes would be a long shot and waste of time.

Does he have the option of taking an official junior year, and another official senior year? I have no idea how that works.

But to get him on campus soon is key. Show off the Melo center, and anything can happen.

I can't see Giles not ending up the #1 player in the 2016 class. The guy is a monster and as he refines his game and gets stronger/faster I can't even begin to explain the type of player he is capable of being.

Does he have the option of taking an official junior year, and another official senior year? I have no idea how that works.

But to get him on campus soon is key. Show off the Melo center, and anything can happen.

I can't see Giles not ending up the #1 player in the 2016 class. The guy is a monster and as he refines his game and gets stronger/faster I can't even begin to explain the type of player he is capable of being.
Nope, only one official visit per school. That's why I think he'll be tough to get out of Carolina, because he can visit those schools unofficially whenever he wants and build tight relationships with those staffs.

Nope, only one official visit per school. That's why I think he'll be tough to get out of Carolina, because he can visit those schools unofficially whenever he wants and build tight relationships with those staffs.
Realistically, what percentage of a shot at him do you think we have? Maybe 10-15% at this point?

This is off topic here, but that's funny that Boeheim has no issues doing that. I remember sophomore year of high school in English class, I wrote a short story about basketball recruiting, and it featured "totally not Jimmy B" walking into the hood to recruit a kid, so it's funny all these years later to learn that he was actually doing that sort of stuff.

This is off topic here, but that's funny that Boeheim has no issues doing that. I remember sophomore year of high school in English class, I wrote a short story about basketball recruiting, and it featured "totally not Jimmy B" walking into the hood to recruit a kid, so it's funny all these years later to learn that he was actually doing that sort of stuff.

I believe his nonchalance or unaffectedness in the projects was also a factor in getting Pearl. I could be off on this one.

Hard for me to get any kind of excitement over Big Harry...yet. until an unofficial or any rumblings or even staff visits occur, I try not to get any hopes up. hes nasty, perfect fit, etc etc but like Francis and others have said-no tea leaves to read that would have him leaving the state of Carolina. nice to see our staff offer a legit top 3 guy for his class though, we have to land another again soon-truely believe its essential to have 1 or 2 sprinkled in with 2-3 yr guys and a sr or 2 for NC runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom