has anyone rewatched to try and understand the oline issues? | Syracusefan.com

has anyone rewatched to try and understand the oline issues?

upperdeck

Living Legend
espn3 replays make it pretty hard but live i couldnt begin to see who was struggling the most, i know we had no push up the middle but again hard to see if that was a numbers issue or a player issue.

espn3 replays make it pretty hard but live i couldnt begin to see who was struggling the most, i know we had no push up the middle but again hard to see if that was a numbers issue or a player issue.
Don't think it was so much not being able to push up the middle as much as it was tons of blitzing. Colgate was daring us to throw, and wasn't gonna allow the run. Coach Babers called their bluff, and had Dungey throw the piss out of the football.

I was fine with that.

Pitt had the same issue verse Vill. 85 yards and couldn't get any push. the downside is thats what you see in the red zone and we need to be able to work through that.

This has been talked about in 5-6 other posts. Colgate returns a great front 7, they sold out to stop the run, they would biltz anywhere from 3-7 people from the same formation all game long. We took what the defense gave us and will continue to do so. Does the OL did to gel a bit and get a better, yes. We will have our game where we rush for a ton of yards because that's what the defense is giving us.

Pitt had the same issue verse Vill. 85 yards and couldn't get any push. the downside is thats what you see in the red zone and we need to be able to work through that.

If we're within 10-15 yards of the end zone, it's tough to score a passing TD. Everybody's all cramped up together. Very difficult for receivers to get decent separation from DBs. That's when we really need to have that "push". I suppose we could still spread things a bit; have TEs get in there for some sort of size advantage against opposing DBs. Or, we could go with a 2 TE set and use them as blockers.

PAcuse said:
This has been talked about in 5-6 other posts. Colgate returns a great front 7, they sold out to stop the run, they would biltz anywhere from 3-7 people from the same formation all game long. We took what the defense gave us and will continue to do so. Does the OL did to gel a bit and get a better, yes. We will have our game where we rush for a ton of yards because that's what the defense is giving us.

Exactly. I'm not claiming our OL is good - just that we have no idea. Same with Strickland. Colgate decided that they'd rather lose via pass.

The teams that will do well against us will be teams that can cover in m2m and stuff the run with 5 in the box. FSU, Clemson, ND.

Very true. Colgate didn't get to the FCS semi-finals because they suck.

Absolutely right. There were times it was 7 on 5 in there. You're not going to win that battle. It's a scheme thing, not a talent thing (at least not against Colgate). Babers and Co. took the other options.

There will be teams on the schedule who are not afraid to face us one on one up the middle and on the edges (Louisville probably being one of them). If you have better athletes on defense, you're not going to be afraid to match us up one on one all over the field. That's where this offense shines, in finding those mismatches and letting our athletes play. You run the pace, you score your points, you hope the defense can't keep up in the 2nd half, and you win the game.

If things work the way they're supposed to. Talent will still trump us the next couple of years, but there's a time in the not so distant future where better talent + this scheme is going to put us in the conversation against just about any team in the country. Sounds a lot like the mobile QB + SU's option in the late 80s to mid 90s to me.

I zoned in on Conway on the replay. When it was one-on-one in matchup,he handled his guy each time. A lot of times Colgate brought more than we had and guys did end up not finding somebody to block on other plays. Communication will take time but I can tell you this...Macky thinks Mike Lynch is a great OL football mind and a great teacher. So, we'll see.

I zoned in on Conway on the replay. When it was one-on-one in matchup,he handled his guy each time. A lot of times Colgate brought more than we had and guys did end up not finding somebody to block on other plays. Communication will take time but I can tell you this...Macky thinks Mike Lynch is a great OL football mind and a great teacher. So, we'll see.

Good to hear about Conway. Bodes well for the future, if the LT is in capable hands for the next three years.

From the stands it looked like our o-line, especially the interior, was getting blown up at the line of scrimmage. Seemed even on running plays they were getting pushed 2 yards into the backfield before the QB/RB exchange even happened. Pass protection seemed to be a little better, but as stated earlier, Colgate was blitzing from everywhere.

This offensive line seems a little "light in the a$$" for lack of a better term. I'm hopeful that they come together in a hurry because they are going to get absolutely abused in conference games if they do not. Fortunately, for once in a great while I have confidence in this coaching staff to make it happen.

I wasn't sure if it was a lack of of push or the new trap system with Gate gambling through the gaps. The backs seemed to be looking for a hole and a bit hesitant due to no room. That said, Gate blitzing will help teach the OL for the next gigs.

From the stands it looked like our o-line, especially the interior, was getting blown up at the line of scrimmage. Seemed even on running plays they were getting pushed 2 yards into the backfield before the QB/RB exchange even happened. Pass protection seemed to be a little better, but as stated earlier, Colgate was blitzing from everywhere.

This offensive line seems a little "light in the a$$" for lack of a better term. I'm hopeful that they come together in a hurry because they are going to get absolutely abused in conference games if they do not. Fortunately, for once in a great while I have confidence in this coaching staff to make it happen.
Please re-read the following...
Absolutely right. There were times it was 7 on 5 in there. You're not going to win that battle. It's a scheme thing, not a talent thing (at least not against Colgate). Babers and Co. took the other options.

There will be teams on the schedule who are not afraid to face us one on one up the middle and on the edges (Louisville probably being one of them). If you have better athletes on defense, you're not going to be afraid to match us up one on one all over the field. That's where this offense shines, in finding those mismatches and letting our athletes play. You run the pace, you score your points, you hope the defense can't keep up in the 2nd half, and you win the game.

If things work the way they're supposed to. Talent will still trump us the next couple of years, but there's a time in the not so distant future where better talent + this scheme is going to put us in the conversation against just about any team in the country. Sounds a lot like the mobile QB + SU's option in the late 80s to mid 90s to me.

Please re-read the following...

Yes, as I acknowledged in my post, Colgate was blitzing pretty heavily. Frequently it was 5 on 6 or 7 as was stated. I get that. I do know enough about the game, however, to recognize when guys are losing 1 on 1 blocking assignments. Just getting flat blown up off the line. The interior line in particular seemed to be getting pushed back consistently. That was Colgate. Did you watch the Clemson DL last night? Wowzers.

Not trying to be overly pessimistic. Just calling it how I see it.

If our Oline had issues handling Colgate's Dline, it aint going to be pretty vs Louisille...they one of the best Dlines in the country.

watched the first quarter and there was far less 7 in the box unless you count the 2 OLB where were cheating a touch in trying to cover the slots.. so far the main issues were assignment mistakes. the RT made several trying to get to the 2nd level and the DE was able to crash down. some of the dungey scrambles were just a lack of patience and not pressure which is good.

Yes, as I acknowledged in my post, Colgate was blitzing pretty heavily. Frequently it was 5 on 6 or 7 as was stated. I get that. I do know enough about the game, however, to recognize when guys are losing 1 on 1 blocking assignments. Just getting flat blown up off the line. The interior line in particular seemed to be getting pushed back consistently. That was Colgate. Did you watch the Clemson DL last night? Wowzers.

Not trying to be overly pessimistic. Just calling it how I see it.

Yeah, I watched the Clemson DL last night. They're tough. Especially Wilkins. Pagano is coming into his own, too. That being said, if Dungey can get the ball out within 3ish seconds, and hit his targets, the boys will be able to hang with Clemson.

I keep wondering why Colgate would "sell out to stop the run" against an Air Raid scheme.

orangenirvana said:
I keep wondering why Colgate would "sell out to stop the run" against an Air Raid scheme.
they were blitzing to try to disrupt run AND pass. They understood SU had the speed advantage on the outside. The only chance to beat us was to get pressure on Dungey all game and screw up the quick passing attack. They stayed in because they sold out on the blitz in the hope it would bother our QB enough that our passing game wouldn't get on track. By the way, this isn't a traditional Air Raid offense.

Babers isn't air raid, it is spread and take what the d gives you. He specifically said this week we are not the old Texas Tech, we won't forget about the run. Colgate wants to stop the run and only had one safety deep, take what the D gives you.

Watching the game live, I thought that the RBs were sometimes a touch slow to the snap. That I think is something that will get better with more practice in this offense and has less to do with poor blocking. One of the things that really struck me watching the MAC championship game last year was how quick the RBs were up to the line and into the second level before the defense could react.

I suspect we'll see some more creative run plays next week. Either by plan as if they just didn't want film of it yet, or out of necessity of having a difficult time running up the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom