Has SU Hired A Director of Football Operations Yet? | Syracusefan.com

Has SU Hired A Director of Football Operations Yet?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Shouldn't we have someone in place by now? Curious as to why we do not...

Why do we even need one and what are the responsibilities? I just looked at the department directory and found:

Bob Brotzki Assistant Athletics Director for Player Development
William Hicks Assistant Athletics Director for Athletic Performance
Eric White Director of Recruiting Operations
Cole Dial Operations and Recruiting Quality Control

The school has just appointed an assistant Provost to oversee athletics and the compliance folks have been taken away from the AD and given to the University's General Counsel.

Why do we even need one and what are the responsibilities? I just looked at the department directory and found:

Bob Brotzki Assistant Athletics Director for Player Development
William Hicks Assistant Athletics Director for Athletic Performance
Eric White Director of Recruiting Operations
Cole Dial Operations and Recruiting Quality Control

The school has just appointed an assistant Provost to oversee athletics and the compliance folks have been taken away from the AD and given to the University's General Counsel.

Do you want to compete with other ACC schools?

If so, you need to fill every single one of the slots available on your staff.

I haven't looked, but I would bet other schools have near double the support staff that we do.

Thes

I haven't looked, but I would bet other schools have near double the support staff that we do.

NCAA staff slots are coaches. Support staff could number in the 100's if we wanted to. I agree, without looking i'd bet most schools have double what we have.

I believe a few years back it was rumored Buttgers had 40 some admins sending out recruiting letters.

Again, who makes that hire?

How are you going to start staffing low-level positions without a real, long-term AD? Gotta have the horse before you can worry about the carts.

That position handles all the logistics of practices, travel, camps, and I believe supervises the managers. It's a position that typically the HC hires from what I understand, so not having an AD in place shouldn't hold this up. It's not something that will require a long-term contract.

That position handles all the logistics of practices, travel, camps, and I believe supervises the managers. It's a position that typically the HC hires from what I understand, so not having an AD in place shouldn't hold this up. It's not something that will require a long-term contract.
If that's the case, then I would guess after the spring game. Things seems to be moving smoothly right now with practice and recruiting visits, no need to rush.

Most SEC schools have around 10 extra coaches on the support staff

EDIT: I've read a few articles on it. Here is 1 where it says in 2011 Bama was paying over $4m on their Support staff alone http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8043332/bigger-better-college-football-support-staffs

Last edited:
If that's the case, then I would guess after the spring game. Things seems to be moving smoothly right now with practice and recruiting visits, no need to rush.

I disagree. There has to be a lot of work going on for summer camps and 2016 recruiting, not to mention the travel for next year. These positions need to be in place so the other folks can focus on their tasks and not this work.

Again, who makes that hire?

How are you going to start staffing low-level positions without a real, long-term AD? Gotta have the horse before you can worry about the carts.

Head coach makes this hire. It should have already been made by now, the guy in the spot this past season left February 3. We're on the verge of starting month #3 without this staff spot filled.

May be a salary question that is holding things up, but I'm pretty sure Shafer would be able to go to the Chancellor or someone close to him with any questions/concerns he would have.

Again, I really want to give Shafer the benefit of the doubt on a lot of things and really hope he wins, but there are some puzzling decisions that are being/have been made that do not help his case/cause. As has been mentioned, the trickle down effect shouldn't be taken lightly.

SUFan44 said:
Head coach makes this hire. It should have already been made by now, the guy in the spot this past season left February 3. We're on the verge of starting month #3 without this staff spot filled. May be a salary question that is holding things up, but I'm pretty sure Shafer would be able to go to the Chancellor or someone close to him with any questions/concerns he would have. Again, I really want to give Shafer the benefit of the doubt on a lot of things and really hope he wins, but there are some puzzling decisions that are being/have been made that do not help his case/cause. As has been mentioned, the trickle down effect shouldn't be taken lightly.

Not without an AD's say-so he doesn't. Especially given the NCAA decision - it's reasonable to give everyone in the dept the benefit of the doubt for awhile, IMO.

If it's a Compliance concern, that office can vet the candidates. This positions is entirely football's call, and doesn't need anything but the final signature from any of the dozens of admins still at Manley.

A friend of mine was hired as a director of operations for the men's soccer team today. So SU is still hiring without a permanent AD.

A friend of mine was hired as a director of operations for the men's soccer team today. So SU is still hiring without a permanent AD.

Do you know how long that position was open? Just curious as to any guidelines/requirements that might be involved as to how long a job must be posted? Then is the university required to interview current employees first for the position before bringing in outside candidates?

Head coach makes this hire. It should have already been made by now, the guy in the spot this past season left February 3. We're on the verge of starting month #3 without this staff spot filled.

May be a salary question that is holding things up, but I'm pretty sure Shafer would be able to go to the Chancellor or someone close to him with any questions/concerns he would have.

Again, I really want to give Shafer the benefit of the doubt on a lot of things and really hope he wins, but there are some puzzling decisions that are being/have been made that do not help his case/cause. As has been mentioned, the trickle down effect shouldn't be taken lightly.

Maybe it is because the Chancellor changed the structure and the Operations Directors do not report to the coaches any longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom