Has Syracuse Played Everyone? | Syracusefan.com

Has Syracuse Played Everyone?

Orijinal

All Conference
How is it that Syracuse has played at least one of the teams in just about every bowl game I have seen this year?

Louisville now, Clemson later, Pittsburgh, South Florida, Boston College, and Virginia Tech.

Those are just the games that I have seen bits and pieces of (or will see), not to mention NC State and Florida State. And Note Dame was bowl eligible but declined, right? Wake Forest in a bowl too?

Goodness sakes ...

We play in the top conference and are expected to play tough out of conference. Comes with trying to rebuild a football program back to beyond just relevance.

11 of 14 ACC teams made bowl games, so each of our league games is represented.

Only 1 of our 4 OOC opponents made a bowl, which seems ironic given all the discussion lately.
Goodness.

Only 1 of our 4 OOC opponents made a bowl, which seems ironic given all the discussion lately.

I am not complaining about the OOC this year, USF was bad when we scheduled them, and ND is mandatory every 3 years and they were bad. LSU? I am complaining about that. It is an interesting and ironic thing when all 8 conference opponents made a bowl, true. Which is why the LSU game is so dumb

Our OOC wasn't that tough.
Who could've seen Notre collapsing like they did with a supposed #1 QB.

USF was a legitimate top 20 team in my opinion.

Notre Dame was a trainwreck but still loaded with talent. That game comes with the territory though. USF is needless.

What current D1 teams have we never played in history? I think SWC made a thread about this before.

Safe to say that ND was better than some teams that did make bowls. Sometimes they are a victim of their ambitious scheduling, too.

How is it that Syracuse has played at least one of the teams in just about every bowl game I have seen this year?

Louisville now, Clemson later, Pittsburgh, South Florida, Boston College, and Virginia Tech.

Those are just the games that I have seen bits and pieces of (or will see), not to mention NC State and Florida State. And Note Dame was bowl eligible but declined, right? Wake Forest in a bowl too?

Goodness sakes ...
Norte Dane went 4-8, which isn't normally good enough to be bowl eligible.

...buuuuuut they're Notre Dame, so they might have been.

Driving home early AM after the New Years Party I was at and the overnight sports radio guy talked about how he evaluates conference strength based on Sagarins division rankings and our division was either first or second in the entire P5.

Life?

Colgate
UConn
USF
ND

One team with a winning record. The team that was 2-10 three years ago when we scheduled them.

Go by recruiting rankings.

I am not complaining about the OOC this year, USF was bad when we scheduled them, and ND is mandatory every 3 years and they were bad. LSU? I am complaining about that. It is an interesting and ironic thing when all 8 conference opponents made a bowl, true. Which is why the LSU game is so dumb
When the LSU H&H was scheduled several years ago, Syracuse was desperate for increased attendance, money and national ink.

Haha. The rankings people rip as being biased? OK?

No the ones that are mostly been proven accurate by the huge study people bring up here all the time. The one that shows a correlation between stars and wins.

Realistically, given our recruiting rankings over the same period, we should beat UCONN and Colgate. USF is slightly better in rankings - and were in year 4 of Taggert vs year 1 of Babers; if you gave me just the recruiting rankings and years guys have played in the same system, I'd bet we could guess who'd win with like a 60-70% accuracy. ND's classes are way better.

To be clear - I don't have a problem scheduling USF. I'd prefer a different school from that conference, but we should be right there with any of them. We don't get a choice in playing ND or not - but the years we know we are playing them, we should go lighter in the other games. USF would have beaten ND this season. ND should be the toughest OOC.

I think most people are in a agreement that it works best if we do: 1FCS/2G5 + 1P5. I'm just saying if we can help it, one of our G5 and one of our P5 shouldn't be teams that routinely vie for their conference championship and bring in way better or similar recruiting classes.

I don't think what we did back in the days should have any bearing on what we're trying to do now. CFB has changed a bunch, we've got a horrible 15 year stretch to drag around, and a new coach we'd like to keep. Starting him off with 4 OOC wins every year would help keep him around I think.

USF was a legitimate top 20 team in my opinion.

They had zero Top 30 wins this year vs. the 82nd toughest schedule in the country.

I see them as a 6-6/7-5 type team if they played in a P5 conference. They feasted on mediocre AAC competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom