Heading to Williamsburg and Virginia Beach for Vacation | Syracusefan.com

Heading to Williamsburg and Virginia Beach for Vacation

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I have a few questions I was hoping the wise people that frequent this board might be able to answer.

1) What is the best way to drive from Syracuse to Williamsburg? It will almost surely be during the day and I will probably be limited to driving 65 MPH because another vehicle is pulling a UHaul trailer.

Was thinking of taking I81 to Winchester, then 50 and 17 to I95 near Fredericksburg, then I64 around Richmond to Williamsburg.

2) What is a good place to stop for a meal on the way down? Will have 4 girls in tow ranging in age from 6 to 13. Was thinking the the Snow White Grill in Winchester.

3) Any recommendations on family friendly restaurants in or near Williamsburg or Virginia Beach?

4) Any recommendations on golf courses near Williamsburg or Virginia Beach?

5) Any recommendations on things to do in these areas other than the obvious?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Don't have much. Went to Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens when I was on a "teen tour", probably around 12 years old. The usual run of the mill stuff was a blast from what I remember. Have a great time. Not sure how you guys feel about amusement parks, but the rides (specifically roller coasters) were some of the best I've been on still to this day.

Don't have much. Went to Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens when I was on a "teen tour", probably around 12 years old. The usual run of the mill stuff was a blast from what I remember. Have a great time. Not sure how you guys feel about amusement parks, but the rides (specifically roller coasters) were some of the best I've been on still to this day.

i went to that busch gardens when i was about that age. i still remember a couple of the roller coasters names - the big bad wolf and alpine geist. i rode the alpine geist back to back and got motion sickness. other than that, had a blast.

Tom,

That route would be the way I would suggest you take. Wave as you pass my neck of the woods (Hagerstown, MD)

Stopping places for food, depends upon when you will be driving through the areas. I would also suggest that you try to make it to Winchester before you get gas, as you should be able to get it cheaper there, than anywhere in PA, MD or WV. If you can't make it that far before you need to fill up, MD is better than PA or WV.

If the girls are into amusement parks, there is a Busch Gardens amusement park in the Williamsburg area.

It's been a while since I've been on I-95 in that area, but I remember it being much more heavily trafficked than I-81. You could stay on I-81 a little longer and take I-64 if you want to stay on highway. You may avoid a few more police officers that way too, since they tend to be everywhere on route 17.

If you want quick food, this may sound weird, but stop at a Sheetz gas station. They have made to order burgers, fries, hot subs, cold subs, smoothies, etc. The variety is good if you have a bunch of different tastes, and the food is pretty good, at least by fast food standards.

Antiprodigy said:
Tom, That route would be the way I would suggest you take. Wave as you pass my neck of the woods (Hagerstown, MD) Stopping places for food, depends upon when you will be driving through the areas. I would also suggest that you try to make it to Winchester before you get gas, as you should be able to get it cheaper there, than anywhere in PA, MD or WV. If you can't make it that far before you need to fill up, MD is better than PA or WV. If the girls are into amusement parks, there is a Busch Gardens amusement park in the Williamsburg area.

Is Kings Dominion still there. I went to both that and Busch a couple times each in the early 80's. Like Kings Dominion better but it's been 30 years now.

i went to that busch gardens when i was about that age. i still remember a couple of the roller coasters names - the big bad wolf and alpine geist. i rode the alpine geist back to back and got motion sickness. other than that, had a blast.
Yes, big bad wolf! Nice little bit of nostalgia right there. Just checked it, been retired since 2009.
330451000.jpg

Do NOT swear on the sidewalk in VA Beach. And when cops are giving you the business because you swore on the side walk, do not say "Oh, I bet you were Navy, weren't yea" and when they say " yea, so what" do NOT say "because the Army wouldn't have created such sallys"

I mean, you can do these things if you want to, but I promise it will end with a drunk in public ticket (even tho you might not be drunk, they dont know, they wont even breathalyze you), a night in the drunk tank, and a $100 fine.

Other than that, VA Beach was a blast. I think there is still a youtube video of me dancing in a parking lot of VA beach.

Kingsmill is a good course but for my money the Golden Horseshoe is the best. So there is no confusion, I'm talking about the Gold Course. The Green course is fine but not the challenge of the Gold.

Last edited:
Was just up in Williamsburg for a family vacation in June. I came up from NC so I cannot tell you the the best way to get there from NY but I can tell you to stop by Pierce's Pitt BBQ in Williamsburg. Once of the better southern BBQ places I have ever eaten at.

I went to a camp thing as a teenager down there about this time of year. Be ready for the humidity. I remember stepping outside and immediately feeling soaked. It was really weird.

On the other hand, that trip was the first time I ever had Chik-Fil-A, so that was awesome.

WaWa is the counterbalance to Sheetz. Kings Dominion gets talk down to in comparison to Busch Gardens, which is also nice.

Williamsburg is really quaint. The village has lots of choices and it being a college town you don't have to go upscale French to get a nice meal. Also a little closer to campus there is Paul's and a couple of other places that work. If I remember it right it's Pauls that has a ton of sports stuff and massive, massive quantities of food.

The historic stuff is neat, and Jamestown and Yorktown are worth a look.

If you like seafood - go to Captain George's Seafood Restaurant in Va Beach. They had a buffet there when my kids were younger that they still talk about. It was all you can eat and they had crab legs, clams, oysters etc. When you walked in it was like entering a pirate ship up a plank etc. We haven't been back in years but we all still want to head back there when we do. It's on Laskin Road one of the main streets in Va Beach . Not cheap but so much food and very kid friendly. Enjoy your time at Va Beach.

http://www.captaingeorges.com/FreshCatch.aspx?id=0

Humidity surprisingly isn't bad right now thanks to freak weather but that could change. It's been absolutely beautiful though. Hopefully stays nice for you. Generally it's much hotter this time of year.

Kingsmill is nice but they changed this year to members only or resort guests. Sure there's a way to get on otherwise but it used to be much easier. The river course is a nice track -- recommend it sometime to play. It's a difficult layout -- not long but really a true shotmaker's course.

Golden Horseshoe is nice as someone else has recommended. Virginia Beach National is decent. I think the courses in Williamsburg are a little bit nicer than Virginia beach -- but there are some other decent ones I've played there. Hells Point is OK -- I played Heron Ridge before and actually really liked it -- but that was about seven years ago.

A bit off the beaten path (but convenient to 64) but there are a few nice courses inbetween Richmond and Williamsburg -- just PM me if you want recommendations. 64 can be a bitch traffic wise depending upon time of day with beach traffic etc as a warning. Really needs to be expanded.

If you like seafood - go to Captain George's Seafood Restaurant in Va Beach. They had a buffet there when my kids were younger that they still talk about. It was all you can eat and they had crab legs, clams, oysters etc. When you walked in it was like entering a pirate ship up a plank etc. We haven't been back in years but we all still want to head back there when we do. It's on Laskin Road one of the main streets in Va Beach . Not cheap but so much food and very kid friendly. Enjoy your time at Va Beach.

http://www.captaingeorges.com/FreshCatch.aspx?id=0

That place is good if you like to watch people consume disgusting quantities of seafood too (which can be a fun thing). It's more of an experience place to go than anything...people line up prior to it opening.

If you like quality, though, there are definitely better places to go...but it's an interesting place to see for sure. They have one in Williamsburg in addition to VA Beach.

64 can be a bitch traffic wise depending upon time of day with beach traffic etc as a warning. Really needs to be expanded.

Yes the last time we went down there Rte 64 was a parking lots for miles and miles. So bad that cars were overheating, running out of gas and they were getting out of their cars to stretch their legs. Make sure you have a full tank of gas.

Yes the last time we went down there Rte 64 was a parking lots for miles and miles. So bad that cars were overheating, running out of gas and they were getting out of their cars to stretch their legs. Make sure you have a full tank of gas.

There are some trouble spots on there for sure -- just look at traffic before you get on to 64 and evaluate...

You can also get off 64 and take the Pocahontas Trail -- it runs parallel to 64.

It's two lanes in each direction so usually stays moving.

I would probably take 81 to 64. I only really know about VB, been to williamsburg a couple times, but don't have too much knowledge. Restaurants you have to hit - Breakfast/Lunch- Doc Taylors cheap local fav. 2 dollar Momosas, Screwdrivers and Bloodys, Dinner- Tautogs, Fairly priced amazing fine dining cuisine, great beer selection (Same owners as Doc's, both historic beach cottages, great food, local and tourist favorites), Anytime- Baja Cantina Great Tacos, beef, fish, lobster, Nachos, and Wings. Watermans for Crabcakes and Orange Crush's. Amazing local drink, only place that makes them with fresh O.J. First 3 restaurants are all on 23rd street, Watermans is further down, I wannna say 15th maybe.

In Virginia Beach, you can check out Ocean Breeze Waterpark, First Landing State Park, Virginia Marine Science Museum, Edgar Cayce Center, Flipper McCoys arcade on the boardwalk. There is also Virginia Beach Town Center you could check out, with great restuarants and shopping in a downtown setting. Its like a 15 minute drive from the ocean front off Independence Blvd.

I have a few questions I was hoping the wise people that frequent this board might be able to answer.

1) What is the best way to drive from Syracuse to Williamsburg? It will almost surely be during the day and I will probably be limited to driving 65 MPH because another vehicle is pulling a UHaul trailer.

Was thinking of taking I81 to Winchester, then 50 and 17 to I95 near Fredericksburg, then I64 around Richmond to Williamsburg.

2) What is a good place to stop for a meal on the way down? Will have 4 girls in tow ranging in age from 6 to 13. Was thinking the the Snow White Grill in Winchester.

3) Any recommendations on family friendly restaurants in or near Williamsburg or Virginia Beach?

Went a couple years ago with the family. We enjoyed the boat tour of Norfolk Navy yard. A couple of carriers were in dock along with a couple battleships and a lot of cruiser/destroyer types. Went offshore fishing and ended up near battleship doing some maneuvers with lots of helicopters and smaller boats and jet skis racing all around. (didn't help the fishing!) Yorktown was interesting to me if you like history. My wife enjoyed Jamestown more. I like the battlefields and get a feeling of awe when I stand in a spot an think about what happened there. Lots of inter-mixed revolutionary and civil war stuff at many locations. We loved Virginia Beach as opposed to o when I went 30+ years ago. They've done a really nice job re-creating the boardwalk scene and the beach was also nice and not as packed as I remembered it. Navy fighters racing up and down the coast were actually pretty cool except for the occasional sonic boom. When in Williamsburg make a point to eat a meal at one of the old restaurants there. If you don't want to do a guided walking tour they have a great self-guided tour with headsets etc.

you can hit very heavy traffic that way once you get near fredericksburgh.

I take 81 to 64 and straight on thru Richmond two roads is all you need to know.

whitleys peanuts is not far from Va. beach...I've worked near that area a few times.

hopefully this works for you...http://www.mapquest.com/#f0fa93b31d786a502f047967

I guess that didn't work but I used the mapquest trip planner and it says 8 hours 43 minutes and I did it in about 8 hours with like two fast stops.

very beautiful country and you get to pass Va. university. it really is a no brainer as traffic is a total breeze that way whenever I go down there. check for road construction

Last edited:
you can hit very heavy traffic that way once you get near fredericksburgh.

I take 81 to 64 and straight on thru Richmond two roads is all you need to know.

whitleys peanuts is not far from Va. beach...I've worked near that area a few times.

Agreed, 95 can be an absolute mess during commuter hours which run longer around here because people commute all the way from D.C. to Fredricksburg. Unless your coming through in the middle of the night, take 64. The only real backup you could see is actually most likely around Williamsburg. You could hit Busch Gardens traffic, or just bottle-necked because its only two lanes. Once you head to VB, you might get backed up at the Bridge Tunnel, especially during commuter hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom