Heading to Williamsburg and Virginia Beach for Vacation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Heading to Williamsburg and Virginia Beach for Vacation

Agreed, 95 can be an absolute mess during commuter hours which run longer around here because people commute all the way from D.C. to Fredricksburg. Unless your coming through in the middle of the night, take 64. The only real backup you could see is actually most likely around Williamsburg. You could hit Busch Gardens traffic, or just bottle-necked because its only two lanes. Once you head to VB, you might get backed up at the Bridge Tunnel, especially during commuter hours.

We find ourselves doing 301 during heavy traffic times. Nice ride, maintains your sanity.

Agreed, 95 can be an absolute mess during commuter hours which run longer around here because people commute all the way from D.C. to Fredricksburg. Unless your coming through in the middle of the night, take 64. The only real backup you could see is actually most likely around Williamsburg. You could hit Busch Gardens traffic, or just bottle-necked because its only two lanes. Once you head to VB, you might get backed up at the Bridge Tunnel, especially during commuter hours.

lol...I didn't see your first post on that route, i just read tomcats plea and knew exactly what to say w/o going thru the whole thread

This was one of my Virginia Beach haunts near the ocean when I lived in Norfolk in the late '70s (and I wasn't in the Navy), I see they have a spot in Williamsburg, too. http://jewishmother.com

Been a while since I've lived down there, so the golf landscape has changed, here's a link that may help. http://www.golfadvisor.com/destinations/155-virginia-beach-va/

Jew Moms ain't the same as it was when it was at the oceanfront. Also heard they were closing down and moving to a new location back at the beach again, so I'm not sure if its open right now. Saw some great shows there back in the day though. My buddy Promotes all their shows for them.

My sister has lived in Virginia Beach for 25 years (she works for the VB school district) and I sent her an email with your questions and here is her response (FYI she has 4 kids a little older than yours (12 to 20) and doesn't golf so I didn't ask about courses):

The Jamestown Colony in Williamsburg is an interactive museum that is GREAT!

Then of course Busch Gardens, Great Wolf Lodge and Watercountry in Williamsburg.

I heard that there is a great zip lining park in Williamsburg too - it just opened this year.(Go Ape Park)

In Virginia Beach there are fireworks on the beach on Saturday nights. They have street performers and bands at the beach on Saturdays. I would go to the south end of the beach for those - like streets 9th thru 17th streets and lots of gift shops...good people watching...

There are outdoor restaurants - like Calypso (12th street) and on 31st street there is a stage and outdoor restaurant that is fun - big statue of King Neptune (the restaurant there is a bit pricey). On the water but not oceanfront is Chic's Restaurant where boats pull up to go to restaurant. (it's on an inlet)

Another couple of restaurants that are good but somewhat pricey: Watermans and Crocs, Mahi Mah's, Lynnhaven Fish House, all those are oceanfront or bayfront.

Fun things to do in Va Bch: Virginia Marine Science Museum (they currently have a zip line too), Ocean Breeze Waterpark, renting bikes at the beach. As far as beaches - we like the less crowded north end of the beach - but then it's only on street parking which can be hard to find. We also like Sandbridge where they have public parking but is a bit out of the way.

Our on-line newspaper, PilotOnLine, has regular events listed under the Hampton Roads section!

There is alot more going on but it depends on the weekend they are here.

I hope this is helpful!

Jew Moms ain't the same as it was when it was at the oceanfront. Also heard they were closing down and moving to a new location back at the beach again, so I'm not sure if its open right now. Saw some great shows there back in the day though. My buddy Promotes all their shows for them.
It's been years, so I have no clue what state the Jew Mo. as this Jewish kid, knew it, is in. I was gonna suggest a trip to the Duck Inn, a great old joint right at the foot of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, but I Googled and see the Duck Inn has been sleeping with the fishes since 2005.

Bayside44 said:
We find ourselves doing 301 during heavy traffic times. Nice ride, maintains your sanity.

301 is a nice drive. Lived right off it when I lived in southern Maryland for 4 years.

Went to Virginia Beach when I was TDY to Norfolk a while back.

Only thing I have to add to this conversation is that I agree with previous statements that Waterman's was fantastic for both food and the Orange Crushes.

Impossible to replicate when I got home, despite the fact that I bought a new juicer, ice crusher, and tons of different vodkas and additives to test various online recipes.

Having lived in Virginia for almost a decade and as a regular visitor to Williamsburg I can strongly advise you to do 81 to 64. Depending on the time of day there will be some snags around Richmond but that is the fastest way. Do not do 95, I have done that and it is a nightmare unless done at night.

One of the things I enjoyed most about Williamsburg was the hiking/biking directly in the town. I think there is a bike trail up route 5 all the way from Williamsburg to Richmond. Speaking of route five, that is an awesome route to take in - or out - of Williamsburg. Very quaint. Tree lined roads. Several plantations along the way with tours, those may be of interest to your family. Some are most certainly better than others but you'll have to consult TripAdvisor for that information, it has been too long for me.

At one time I looked at charter fishing tours, they were pricey for a full day but if you get a whole family on the water for that same price then it might be a great deal. Can't recommend one in particular.

Opus 9 Steakhouse is great but pricey eats. The Blue Talon near the college has a great breakfast and is pretty affordable. Five forks is a diner with great food, also affordable -- definitely a great lunch/breakfast spot but arrive early to beat the trendy crowd from the college. Typically a mixed crowd of locals and students. Dog Street Pub was fine. Do NOT do the Chickahominy House, their food is crap.

My family has had a condo in kingsmill for the past 5 years, you will have a great time, The Golf course at Kingsmill is a great course, its actually a stop on the lpga tour.

If you do take I-95 (and that could be reasonably free, depending on the time of day you're passing through), stop for a meal at Dixie Bones in Woodbridge. Good BBQ.

I've grown up in VA but I'm more knowledgeable on the Harrisonburg and Richmond areas considering that is where I live. I don't know as much about Williamsburg other than Colonial Williamsburg which was a cool field trip when I was kid. I would definitely recommend Busch Gardens or Kings Dominion, I've been going to both for as long as I can remember and they both have their pros and cons as to which one to go to. If you want places to eat in H'burg or Richmond just say so and I can mention a few places. Richmond has a whole bunch of good restaurants so finding a restaurant even without my help would be easy.

Now VA beach can be a good time but as someone who lives in VA, Myrtle and the OBX are better but that might be because I'm so used to VA beach. I wish I could remember the name of this restaurant that is about two or three blocks off of the beach. It is essentially a house that has been fitted to be a restaurant and the food is great. I'm sure you can ask around for it because it is pretty well known by people who spend any sort of time at VA beach regularly. They also serve some pretty good drinks which may be a necessity when you have 4 young kids.

I'd definitely tell you to avoid I95 if you can because, frankly, it is awful. As someone who used to drive on I95 for work every day, I do no miss it at all and that is with me cutting off a significant amount of time on the road with 288. It is dreadful. I81 can be a bit rough in some parts, a lot of big commercial vehicles, but it tends to move pretty quickly. Obviously try to avoid rush hour and you should be okay. 64 is a pretty nice and easy drive until you hit Richmond, depending on the time, but it is nice to cruise on it. I find driving on 64 for most of it to be rather relaxing.

There's a BBQ joint called Barbecue Exchange that is in Gordonsville, it is great (hushpuppies there are mediocre though), which can be driven to off of 81 and 64 depending on which way you go. If traffic is bad on I81, you can take the scenic route (33) and make it to 64 and Barbecue Exchange is on 33.

When I travel to Myrtle Beach, I take route 15 out of Harrisburg, Pa past Gettysburg to Frederick, Md. Depending on the time of day, I'll either continue on 15 to route 17 to Fredericksburg or take I-270 to I-495 and then I-95. From either spot I would take I-95 to I-295 onto I-64 and then you would avoid Richmond altogether. Route 15 through Pa. and Md. for the most part is like route 20 here, 4 lane divided highway with speed limits of 60 or 65. South of Frederick it's mostly 2 lane, but going this way saves you about 100 miles and an hour travel time. As far as traveling to Florida, 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 is the way to go. Charlotte and Jacksonville are the only big cities you have to go through and it saves you about 50 miles over the 81 to 64 to 95 way and you avoid 95 for the most part.

AAA send most folks heading south to Florida in the winter onto RT 64 as previously mentioned here

that's odd because they shut the road down when the ice hits as they have virtually no salting and snow equipment as you are traveling in the mountains.

I still take it though, but AAA advised me not to.

When I travel to Myrtle Beach, I take route 15 out of Harrisburg, Pa past Gettysburg to Frederick, Md. Depending on the time of day, I'll either continue on 15 to route 17 to Fredericksburg or take I-270 to I-495 and then I-95. From either spot I would take I-95 to I-295 onto I-64 and then you would avoid Richmond altogether. Route 15 through Pa. and Md. for the most part is like route 20 here, 4 lane divided highway with speed limits of 60 or 65. South of Frederick it's mostly 2 lane, but going this way saves you about 100 miles and an hour travel time. As far as traveling to Florida, 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 is the way to go. Charlotte and Jacksonville are the only big cities you have to go through and it saves you about 50 miles over the 81 to 64 to 95 way and you avoid 95 for the most part.
I use to take that route when I was working in Gettysburgh

I was surprised how nice that way was the first time I used it. Saved miles and time.

I have a few questions I was hoping the wise people that frequent this board might be able to answer.

1) What is the best way to drive from Syracuse to Williamsburg? It will almost surely be during the day and I will probably be limited to driving 65 MPH because another vehicle is pulling a UHaul trailer.

Was thinking of taking I81 to Winchester, then 50 and 17 to I95 near Fredericksburg, then I64 around Richmond to Williamsburg.

2) What is a good place to stop for a meal on the way down? Will have 4 girls in tow ranging in age from 6 to 13. Was thinking the the Snow White Grill in Winchester.

3) Any recommendations on family friendly restaurants in or near Williamsburg or Virginia Beach?

4) Any recommendations on golf courses near Williamsburg or Virginia Beach?

5) Any recommendations on things to do in these areas other than the obvious?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom