Hearing over, nothing new to report | Syracusefan.com

Hearing over, nothing new to report

I'm still confused by the process. There have been report this is the investigatory process, then it seem like this was more an appeal to the NCAA. This makes it seem much more like the former. What wa the 2010 bball issue? What was the 2007 self report about?

The NCAA has been investigating for months.

They called a few people in for questioning, and hopefully we had the right answers.

It'll be 30-60 days until they release their findings.

If SU doesn't agree, they can appeal.

Let me guess, the COI is also the same group that hears the appeals?

In other words, don't expect to hear much for at least a month.

Then expect an appeal and another several months before we hear back.

Enjoy the season, if possible. This isn't going to be resolved for some time.

In other words, don't expect to hear much for at least a month.

Then expect an appeal and another several months before we hear back.

Enjoy the season, if possible. This isn't going to be resolved for some time.
Unless, of course, we take the bull by the ba11s and self-impose something the NCAA accepts. And maybe even then...

I think SU has a feel for what might be coming down, but you won't get anyone to talk.

The good news is by the time this is settled, it will be too late to shake up the 2015 class. They'd be hanging those kids out to dry.

If we lose scholies, it's going to be for 2016 and beyond.

Happy Halloween!

Last edited:
OrangeXtreme said:
Since it's against NCAA rules for SU (and JB) to comment on an active investigation ... why does the media keep asking JB to comment? :crazy:

It's their job.

You have to ask...even if they don't expect a comment.

And just as JB and SU say the media should know better, JB and SU should know better.

I was in the newspaper biz for 20 years.

had they played by NCAA rules in the first place they wouldn't be in that position

ya but we were just trying to play by the same rules as everyone else. nobody will ever be able to convince me that anything that is going down now is worse then any big time college football program. both sports are still under the NCAA why should we be penalized when others do what they want? i'll answer my own question. they are afraid of the P5 schools breaking away, and penalizing a big money maker in football would be a much bigger deal then hitting a basketball program. it's BS.

had they played by NCAA rules in the first place they wouldn't be in that position
you don't know if they did or did not playa by NCAA rules, that is why they are being investigated

"My definition of cheating is doing something nobody else is doing."

~Charlie Francis (Ben Johnson's coach) :D

Does anyone think LOI day Nov. 19th will offer a glimpse of what might be coming down?

I'm still confused by the process. There have been report this is the investigatory process, then it seem like this was more an appeal to the NCAA. This makes it seem much more like the former. What wa the 2010 bball issue? What was the 2007 self report about?

There was an investigation, then a Notice of Allegations was presented to SU (this summer, I think), and then the case went to the Committe on Infractions phase.

Initially, The NCAA infractions enforcement process begins when the school self reports a potential bylaw violation or when the NCAA enforcement staff, the association’s staff tasked with investigating potential bylaw violations, becomes aware of a potential violation.

If that investigation uncovers evidence of major violations, the enforcement staff then issues a Notice of Allegations setting forth the alleged violation, and the process continues on one of two paths: Summary Disposition or a Committee on Infractions hearing. SU was aware of the allegations and proposed sanctions before appearing in front of the Cmmitte on Infractions.

The Committee on Infractions hearing path generally occurs when violations are particularly egregious or when the enforcement staff and the school or an involved coach cannot agree about the existence or scope of a violation. The case is then presented for the Committee's consideration at a hearing. The NCAA enforcement staff present their case, and then SU presents its case. This is what happened on Thursday and Friday. The Committee will now deliberate on the evidence and publishe a finding/make a ruling on the alleged violations and sanctions. From there, either a school or an involved coach can appeal the finding to the Infractions Appeals Committee; however, the grounds for appeal are very narrow. NCAA bylaws do not provide for further appeals from an Infractions Appeals Committee decision.

We are now waiting on the Committe on Infrations to render a decision over the next 30-60 days (or longer).

72Cuse said:
Does anyone think LOI day Nov. 19th will offer a glimpse of what might be coming down?

Nope

There was an investigation, then a Notice of Allegations was presented to SU (this summer, I think), and then the case went to the Committe on Infractions phase.

Initially, The NCAA infractions enforcement process begins when the school self reports a potential bylaw violation or when the NCAA enforcement staff, the association’s staff tasked with investigating potential bylaw violations, becomes aware of a potential violation.

If that investigation uncovers evidence of major violations, the enforcement staff then issues a Notice of Allegations setting forth the alleged violation, and the process continues on one of two paths: Summary Disposition or a Committee on Infractions hearing. SU was aware of the allegations and proposed sanctions before appearing in front of the Cmmitte on Infractions.

The Committee on Infractions hearing path generally occurs when violations are particularly egregious or when the enforcement staff and the school or an involved coach cannot agree about the existence or scope of a violation. The case is then presented for the Committee's consideration at a hearing. The NCAA enforcement staff present their case, and then SU presents its case. This is what happened on Thursday and Friday. The Committee will now deliberate on the evidence and publishe a finding/make a ruling on the alleged violations and sanctions. From there, either a school or an involved coach can appeal the finding to the Infractions Appeals Committee; however, the grounds for appeal are very narrow. NCAA bylaws do not provide for further appeals from an Infractions Appeals Committee decision.

We are now waiting on the Committe on Infrations to render a decision over the next 30-60 days (or longer).
Exactly. Syracuse and the NCAA had 5 months to agree on a resolution and they couldn't do it. Best guess is that the NCAA found 20 5 dollar violations and say that is equal to a 100 violation. The Orange said no it isn't. In my opinion that is what the last two days were about. The NCAA making the claim that there is a pattern of small violations and the cuse saying we have already gone about correcting things.

JB looks like he wants to punch somebody.

Under his pull-over:

brian%2Bbosworth.jpg

ya but we were just trying to play by the same rules as everyone else. nobody will ever be able to convince me that anything that is going down now is worse then any big time college football program. both sports are still under the NCAA why should we be penalized when others do what they want? i'll answer my own question. they are afraid of the P5 schools breaking away, and penalizing a big money maker in football would be a much bigger deal then hitting a basketball program. it's BS.

So the truth comes out quickly somebody sweep it under the carpet before someone finds out about what the ncaa is getting away with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom