Heisman | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Heisman

That is true. UL had a really easy schedule this season. NC State, Syracuse, Wake, Duke, Virginia and BC were the dregs of the conference and somehow they played them all.

Losing to Houston and Kentucky wasn't great either.

Watson had a lot of talent surrounding him and the expectations were so great it was almost impossible to have a season most would consider great.

The thing is, Jackson was so spectacular. He is the kind of talent you see maybe once a decade in college football. Those kinds of players tend to win Heismans...
Fair points. He was crazy good. Heck he put up great numbers against us on the road.

I do however feel that the award has turned into a popularity contest. I mean, why weren't Dalvin Cook and Jake Browning even invited?

I'd go with Jackson, but I don't really care as much as I used to. I'm not even sure I could name many of the last decade's winners.

I'll be that guy.

Why did Brown win it? There must be something he did to deserve it.

39 Rec. 846 yards and 3 TD in his stellar heisman campaign.

Fair points. He was crazy good. Heck he put up great numbers against us on the road.

I do however feel that the award has turned into a popularity contest. I mean, why weren't Dalvin Cook and Jake Browning even invited?

Makes no sense. The Heisman has been a joke for a while.

B/c they didn't finish in the top-5 in voting.

Jackson or Peppers will win it. Jackson had it in the bag the entire season but Louisville's terrible ending to the season will cost him votes. He probably still wins but it may be closer than some think as Michigan and Harbaugh are media darlings on some level and get a lot of exposure. Plus some of those voters will want to be the..."everyone is voting for Jackson but I know better" and vote for someone else and Peppers is the they guy they would vote for as there really isn't anyone else. Which will make this tight.

Who would you vote for. Who do you think will win.

I would vote for Watson, I think Jackson is going to get it, even though after the past couple of games, I don't feel he deserves it.
Does any one outside fans of the nominees follow this anymore? It used to be a big deal, but does anyone care about it?

Does any one outside fans of the nominees follow this anymore? It used to be a big deal, but does anyone care about it?
Nope. As was said earlier in this thread, I never followed closely again after Donnie lost in 87. The only thing that could get me back is if a Syracuse player was invited to the ceremony.

I do but its like a 60 or 90 min show for a 2 min announcement at the end of the telecast. So I only watch the last 10 min or so.

It is the single greatest individual award in all of sports. Nobody cares about MVP's and stuff like that, the Heisman Trophy is on a different level. When you win a Heisman and die it is literally the first sentence of your obituary for all that win it. No other award carries that kind of importance that it is how your life is defined from the moment you win it on.

Jackson.

But, as others have stated, the Heisman hasn't been about the best player in college football in a very long time.

Holy Ron Dayne!! I wonder what he was on. That was hilarious.

I'm so glad Lamar won. I see him all the time around here. He's a great kid and a great ball player.

So glad lamar won too. not sure why peppers was even there. shows the power of the brand in college football. 72 tackles , 3 sacks, 1 pick, 3 rushing tds, 1 punt return for td. only 2 road games, home heavy schedule . if he plays for Virginia or iowa st. this isnt a discussion .

That's over 20 yards per catch. Solid.
Still with only 3 TD'S

As dirty as Clemson's defense was and still is I never want them to win an award.There is one thing playing hard and hitting hard,but Dabo has his team trying to inflict serious injuries in many games. Bulware is just a raging angry player that will not translate well into the NFL. NO.6 has had a few helmets to helmets that he wasn't called for either.Dabo could stop this this,but I am not seeing it during the games.

Last edited:
7962300_600x338.jpg

...would have been my choice.

I wish they waited until after the bowl games to decide. We use the bowl games to decide the national championship, why not the Heisman?

until the Downtown Athletic Club marches into Paul Hornung's house, takes his Heisman and delivers it to Jim Brown, then I will continue to ignore the Heisman Trophy ceremony

1956:

Jim Brown: 158 carries 986 yards (6.2) 13TDs, 5 catches 56 yards (11.50 1 TD3/4 passing 76 yards 1TD. He also kicked 22 PATs for 106 points, including a record 43 in one game. This came in 8 games and we were 7-1, (remember bowls not included: Jim rushed for 126 yards and 3TDs and kicked three more PATs for a total of 1,112 yards rushing and 127 points in 9 games). He finished 5th in the voting with 561 votes, including 118 first place votes. .

Paul Hornung, who played quarterback: 59 for 111 ((53.2) for 917 yards 3TDs and 13 interceptions. Carried the ball 94 times for 420 yards and TDs. Caught 3 passes for 26 yards 0TDs, scored 36 points. He returned two interceptions for 59 yards and back 20 kicks for 559 yards and 1 score and kicked 14PATs for 56 points. He did this in 10 games for a 2-8 team. He finished 1st with 1066 points, including 197 first place votes.

1987:

Don McPherson led the nation in passing with a 164.3 rating and his team to a perfect 11-0 record- exactly what Vinnie Testaverde had done the previous year to win the Heisman while Tim Brown finished 3rd. Donnie Mac completed 129 of 229 passes (56.3) for 2,341 yards 22TDs 11int. He ran the ball 110 times for 230 yards and 5 scores. and caught a 7 yard pass for a score. Total offense: 2,578 yards 28TDs. He got 841 points, including 167 first place votes.

Tim Brown, in 1986 when he finished 3rd, had caught 45 passes for 910 yards (20.2) and 5TDs rushed 59 times for 254 yards (4.3) and 2 TDs and returned 27 kicks for 773 yards and 2 scores. All-purpose yards: 1,937 and 9TDs. His team went 5-6. In 1987 he caught 39 passes for 846 yards (21.7) and 3 scores, rushed 34 times for 144 yards (4.1) and 1 score and returned 57 kicks for 857 yards and 3 scores. All-purpose yards: 1,847 and 7TDs. His team went 8-3. He won with 1,442 points, including 324 first place votes.

I remember Bill Jauss of the Chicago Sportswriter's show talking about the "phantom yards" Brown produced because the defense concentrated so much on him that other players could gain yards.

Isn't a quarterback in some way responsible for ALL his team's yards?

Fun fact: Jim Brown, as a running back, threw 1/3 as many touchdown passes as Paul Hornung, a quarterback, threw in 1956 and Don McPherson, a quarterback, caught 1/3 as many touchdown passes as Tim Brown,a receiver, caught in 1987.

Waiting until after the bowl games makes too much sense. I remember the AP poll and coaches poll having their final vote before the bowl games and then one year ND beat number 1 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and then that too was changed. At the time the AP poll had recently changed but not the coaches poll.

Speaking about the Heisman, I saw this interesting story which told me more than I already knew:

Ernie Davis becomes the first African-American to win the Heisman Trophy

Last edited:
7962300_600x338.jpg

...would have been my choice.

I wish they waited until after the bowl games to decide. We use the bowl games to decide the national championship, why not the Heisman?

Because like MVP awards in other sports, the Heisman is a "Regular Season Award". Postseason doesn't count

Because like MVP awards in other sports, the Heisman is a "Regular Season Award". Postseason doesn't count

Maybe MVP awards should include the post season, too.

The NCAA now counts bowls numbers in a player's season stats. It thus makes no such distinction between the regular season and the bowls.

Maybe MVP awards should include the post season, too.

The NCAA now counts bowls numbers in a player's season stats. It thus makes no such distinction between the regular season and the bowls.

It would make little sense to include Postseason stats and games in MVP and Heisman voting. As every team doesn't play in the postseason. It's a regular season award because its equal footing for all the players who play an equal amount of games in the regular season.

Stats are one thing, awards are another. It will always be a regular season award as almost every sports awards are.

1956:

Jim Brown: 158 carries 986 yards (6.2) 13TDs, 5 catches 56 yards (11.50 1 TD3/4 passing 76 yards 1TD. He also kicked 22 PATs for 106 points, including a record 43 in one game. This came in 8 games and we were 7-1, (remember bowls not included: Jim rushed for 126 yards and 3TDs and kicked three more PATs for a total of 1,112 yards rushing and 127 points in 9 games). He finished 5th in the voting with 561 votes, including 118 first place votes. .

Paul Hornung, who played quarterback: 59 for 111 ((53.2) for 917 yards 3TDs and 13 interceptions. Carried the ball 94 times for 420 yards and TDs. Caught 3 passes for 26 yards 0TDs, scored 36 points. He returned two interceptions for 59 yards and back 20 kicks for 559 yards and 1 score and kicked 14PATs for 56 points. He did this in 10 games for a 2-8 team. He finished 1st with 1066 points, including 197 first place votes.

1987:

Don McPherson led the nation in passing with a 164.3 rating and his team to a perfect 11-0 record- exactly what Vinnie Testaverde had done the previous year to win the Heisman while Tim Brown finished 3rd. Donnie Mac completed 129 of 229 passes (56.3) for 2,341 yards 22TDs 11int. He ran the ball 110 times for 230 yards and 5 scores. and caught a 7 yard pass for a score. Total offense: 2,578 yards 28TDs. He got 841 points, including 167 first place votes.

Tim Brown, in 1986 when he finished 3rd, had caught 45 passes for 910 yards (20.2) and 5TDs rushed 59 times for 254 yards (4.3) and 2 TDs and returned 27 kicks for 773 yards and 2 scores. All-purpose yards: 1,937 and 9TDs. His team went 5-6. In 1987 he caught 39 passes for 846 yards (21.7) and 3 scores, rushed 34 times for 144 yards (4.1) and 1 score and returned 57 kicks for 857 yards and 3 scores. All-purpose yards: 1,847 and 7TDs. His team went 8-3. He won with 1,442 points, including 324 first place votes.

I remember Bill Jauss of the Chicago Sportswriter's show talking about the "phantom yards" Brown produced because the defense concentrated so much on him that other players could gain yards.

Isn't a quarterback in some way responsible for ALL his team's yards?

Fun fact: Jim Brown, as a running back, threw 1/3 as many touchdown passes as Paul Hornung, a quarterback, threw in 1956 and Don McPherson, a quarterback, caught 1/3 as many touchdown passes as Tim Brown,a receiver, caught in 1987.

Those facts aren't very much "fun".

F ND. That is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom