Helmet Stickers | Syracusefan.com

Helmet Stickers

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Saltine Warrior Logo.jpg
For those sick of uniform threads, please ignore.

I was watching Stanford play the other day and noticed that the Cardinal players now have helmet stickers. And, I noticed the same thing for the Michigan players - I recall back in the early 1970s the Wolverines used football-shaped stickers but do not recall them being used under Carr or those who followed him.

Of course, Ohio State has used them for years - the Buckeye stickers are the best. And Florida State has used the tomahawk stickers for years.

I like them a lot.

So, it got me thinking. As I have made painfully clear over the past three years I want a return to the plain orange helmets - see attached photo.

But, I think helmet stickers would be a nice addition - to satisfy those who want some addition to the traditional look.

I would love to use the old Saltine Warrior cartoon character as the model for the sticker, but that's out. Maybe Tomcat's "War Damn Otto" character? Or maybe a round orange with a Block S?

Whatever, it think the look would be great.
Antonio Johnson.jpg
View attachment 85783 View attachment 85783

View attachment 85784 For those sick of uniform threads, please ignore.

I was watching Stanford play the other day and noticed that the Cardinal players now have helmet stickers. And, I noticed the same thing for the Michigan players - I recall back in the early 1970s the Wolverines used football-shaped stickers but do not recall them being used under Carr or those who followed him.

Of course, Ohio State has used them for years - the Buckeye stickers are the best. And Florida State has used the tomahawk stickers for years.

I like them a lot.

So, it got me thinking. As I have made painfully clear over the past three years I want a return to the plain orange helmets - see attached photo.

But, I think helmet stickers would be a nice addition - to satisfy those who want some addition to the traditional look.

I would love to use the old Saltine Warrior cartoon character as the model for the sticker, but that's out. Maybe Tomcat's "War Damn Otto" character? Or maybe a round orange with a Block S?

Whatever, it think the look would be great. View attachment 85782 View attachment 85783 View attachment 85783
I see that you're conflicted so I'll resolve your problem. If the Orangemen had helmet stickers over the past decade and a half, most of the helmets would still be plain. :p

Hard to put an orange, or orange block S on an orange helmet. Plus, with SU wearing 3 or 4 different helmets, do they transfer the stickers to each helmet? Sorry to be a buzzkill.

A blue football with an orange block S would work, provided we go exclusively with the orange helmet.

Hard to put an orange, or orange block S on an orange helmet. Plus, with SU wearing 3 or 4 different helmets, do they transfer the stickers to each helmet? Sorry to be a buzzkill.
How about a mini blue football shape with white block S or mini white football with a blue block S? Mini blue or white Otto's would work too

I personally hate the idea of adding helmet stickers as it promotes the success of the individual versus the team. If it's a tradition elsewhere, cool. If it's adding it here, hate the idea.

I don't think the saltine warrior would make the cut in this politically correct world we live in

I'm not against helmet stickers, in fact I would be in favor of it. But I agree the saltine warrior would not be it as there would be people marching in the streets over that one. Especially being so close to the Turning Stone and how the Turning Stone people are fighting with the Washington Redskins.

If anything the sticker would have to be an Orange (the fruit) I would think. Makes the most sense to me. Or a "44" sticker would probably work.

I'm not against helmet stickers, in fact I would be in favor of it. But I agree the saltine warrior would not be it as there would be people marching in the streets over that one. Especially being so close to the Turning Stone and how the Turning Stone people are fighting with the Washington Redskins.

If anything the sticker would have to be an Orange (the fruit) I would think. Makes the most sense to me. Or a "44" sticker would probably work.

I like the "44" idea. Even the orange wouldn't be bad, as long as they settle on one helmet style.

I like the "44" idea. Even the orange wouldn't be bad, as long as they settle on one helmet style.

Yeah the more I think of it the "44" might be the best one. Damn I'm smart...lol. Actually instead of an "orange" maybe an "Otto" sticker...lol.

And Ohio St has multiple helmets as most schools do these days. When someone gets a sticker just put one on each helmet. It's not that big of a deal.

I was thinking the same thing watching OSU - would love to see us add stickers.
And IMO it's enough of a college footall tradition that we wouldn't be stealing someone else's schtick.

Simple round Orange stickers would look great on all helmets and yes I think they would transfer stickers to all alternate helmets.

Just seems like a fun way to reward kids for great plays and seeing helmets full of stickers is always impressive to me as a fan watching on TV.

Yeah the more I think of it the "44" might be the best one. Damn I'm smart...lol. Actually instead of an "orange" maybe an "Otto" sticker...lol.

And Ohio St has multiple helmets as most schools do these days. When someone gets a sticker just put one on each helmet. It's not that big of a deal.
It's only a bit tricky because it probably means 2-3 stickers. We have an orange, blue, and white helmet.

It's only a bit tricky because it probably means 2-3 stickers. We have an orange, blue, and white helmet.

I'm sure if someone sat down they could come up with a sticker color that would work on all 3 colored helmets. A white sticker with an orange 44 on it probably works on all color helmets. Or a darker orange sticker with a blue 44 would show up on all 3 colored helmets

Wouldn't that go against Dino's idea of La Familia?

We win as a team, not as individuals.

Interesting.

So, what do you think?

Dino and his staff don't grade individual game performances?

I personally hate the idea of adding helmet stickers as it promotes the success of the individual versus the team. If it's a tradition elsewhere, cool. If it's adding it here, hate the idea.

Agree.

Think of the reaction here if UConn or Rutgers or BC or Pitt started using helmet stickers. We'd mock the crap out of that as being derivative.

Well, we do put the names of the players on the back of jerseys.

And, it works for Ohio State, Michigan, Stanford, and Florida State.

And, you will recall that we did it with Frank Maloney.

Joe Paterno didn't like it because he felt that it rewarded a player for doing what he was supposed to do.

I can see that.

But, I also don't believe necessarily in "everybody gets a trophy" thinking.

I kind of like rewarding players for outstanding plays or outstanding games. It's a nice way to motivate kids. So, again, if it works for coaches like Urban Meyer and Harbough, I'm okay with it.

Last edited:
Agree.

Think of the reaction here if UConn or Rutgers or BC or Pitt started using helmet stickers. We'd mock the crap out of that as being derivative.

Actually Pitt did it under Majors and Sherrill and the rest when the Panthers were a true national power.

The 44 sticker would be a good idea.

Maybe railway tracks or a train to symbolize The Express and 44's significance.

Actually Pitt did it under Majors and Sherrill and the rest when the Panthers were a true national power.

Yep, 40 years ago. We used to have a little "SU" on our helmet in a football silhouette too.