Help me out here - 5 second call | Syracusefan.com

Help me out here - 5 second call

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
I thought that was abolished this year? What was the call against G?

Consigliere said:
I thought that was abolished this year? What was the call against G?
I believe they did away with the 5 second call while the player with the ball is dribbling.

If he picks up the dribble, the clock starts and if it gets to 5 seconds, it is a turnover...

I believe they did away with the 5 second call while the player with the ball is dribbling.

If he picks up the dribble, the clock starts and if it gets to 5 seconds, it is a turnover...

That is correct based on what they said on the tv broadcast.

Watching the BC replay from 1985 I learned the 5 second rule was entirely different back then. If a player crossed the "hash mark" (what we would refer to as the line identifying the coach's box) then a new 5 second count started, but I believe the player couldn't have a total count of more than 8 seconds. I'm not sure how the refs kept track of two separate counts and the players position crossing a implied invisible line at the same time.

Had the same call the other night on Gbinije against FSU. I was a bit confused until announcer explained as you mentioned.

getting rid of the call makes no sense.. do you want someone to be rewarded for not doing anything with the ball for 25 secs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom