Here is a video of the entire 1987 East regional of Cuse vs UNC. | Syracusefan.com

Here is a video of the entire 1987 East regional of Cuse vs UNC.

watching this just depresses me. What teams we used to have.

This game got the #1 crew of the day. Musberger and DB Packer

Over/under how many posts will say the game isn't what it used to be and players aren't as good nowadays at x,y,z as they were back in the day?

I'm putting it at 5.

Over/under how many posts will say the game isn't what it used to be and players aren't as good nowadays at x,y,z as they were back in the day?

I'm putting it at 5.
Worth watching, especially if it was before your time. Legendary figures all over the place.

Nobody has teams like those anymore.

True, but we dont have anyone that is near the talent of sherm, coleman, rony, we usually have one mega talent at least.

True, but we dont have anyone that is near the talent of sherm, coleman, rony, we usually have one mega talent at least.
That's like saying that UNC has never had another team that compared to Jordan, Worthy and Perkins. It is a lot different now.

Our three guys each played all four years and played between 136 and 143 games for Syracuse. Then they each played in the NBA between 678 and 781 games. That's a wealth of talent and experience.

I'm putting it at 5.

Back in my day we had to trudge through -70F windchill through knee high snow for 5 miles to my make Psyc 101 class on time ... oh, wait, its that that kind of "back in the day" post ... my bad.

There used to a tape of the 1975 upset on the internet but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

The next game against Providence, get on YouTube and search for
1987 NCAA Final Four Semi Final Syracuse vs Providence

I've never rewatched it and I never will, but the championship game is also on YouTube, search for
1987 NCAA Basketball National Championship - Indiana vs Syracuse

memories

giphy.gif

Wow. Pure Awesomeness.

Also, isn't it nice to see the court on full screen? There are large stretches with no graphics. The score and shot clock appear for a moment and then disappear. The announcers were actually calling the game. Oh, the good ol' days.

Back in my day...blablabla..

Watched the whole thing last night. Wow Rony was just in some kind of zone in that tourney, averaged 26ppg!! And the rebounding was sick!

I noticed the previous game against Florida was also posted by the same guy. I think Rony had 33 in that game.

Watched the whole thing last night. Wow Rony was just in some kind of zone in that tourney, averaged 26ppg!! And the rebounding was sick!

I noticed the previous game against Florida was also posted by the same guy. I think Rony had 33 in that game.

He certainly was! I recall how Dicky V went on and on prior to the Florida game and ensuing North Carolina game how freshmen Dwayne Schintzius and JR Reid were going to eat Seikaly's lunch. Rony's response by having these monster games was a big F-U to Dicky. :)

Thanks for posting. it was terrific to watch that game again. Without a doubt one of the top wins for our program over the years. Man, what a difference size and talent makes on the inside - Derek and Ron. Also, a great PG. As we know, our free throws really hurt us in the Championship game that year. Well, for this game we were only 53% (15-28). In the Coach's post game comments after the 2003 National Title he even said he thought the 87 team was more talented than the 03 squad. GREAT MEMORIES

Couple other stats mentioned that blew my mind:

- Up to that point in the tourney Carolina was averaging 98+ ppg and were shooting 58% from the field.
- Syracuse was averaging 90 ppg
- All this with a 45 sec shot clock
- All ten starters for both teams were averaging double digit scoring for the year

Back in my day we had to trudge through -70F windchill through knee high snow for 5 miles to my make Psyc 101 class on time ... oh, wait, its that that kind of "back in the day" post ... my bad.
images

Ohh, that game brings back such fantastic memories (thanks for linking), was in the house for that one and Florida 2 nights earlier with my Dad and brother. We also went to New Orleans for the Providence game the following weekend and that is where my memory ends... (btw, coincidentally when I saw in November that our team was going to be a heavy 3-point shooting team, that Pitino squad was the team I immediately thought of).

But getting back to the link above , what I really want to know is how the hell did we watch all these games without high-def ???

When people tell me of walking through the snow to school when they were kids, I always say: "Was that you? I passed you every day because I lived farther out and walked faster."

In today's game Siekaly doesn't last at SU all 4 yrs and DC would've been one and done.
Seikaly's mom and sister lived next door to my parents. Rony was never recruited he just walked in JB's office and said he wanted to play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom