Here we go again | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Here we go again

thing that jumped out at me about that list is that the ACC has pretty good coaches. big change from lots of years in the big east.

Big East had plenty of good coaches too, they just all moved onward and upward as soon as they possibly could.

In the ACC, they are more likely to stick around.

There's probably a dream job joke in there somewhere, I'll just keep it to myself once I finalize the wording.

Decided to vent about how idiotic it is that no one seems to care about the academic success: http://.com/su-football-excelling-academically-and-no-one-cares/
It's a nice feel good story and its great that the players are doing well in school. But not a single football fan has ever bought a ticket because a kid did good on a math and history test. It's not that nobody cares, it's just that it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. People pay to watch a winning and exciting football team.

It's a nice feel good story and its great that the players are doing well in school. But not a single football fan has ever bought a ticket because a kid did good on a math and history test. It's not that nobody cares, it's just that it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. People pay to watch a winning and exciting football team.
I really don't disagree with that. But every talking head talks about how important it is to remember these are "student" athletes and then they immediately ignore when people excel at the student part.

I really don't disagree with that. But every talking head talks about how important it is to remember these are "student" athletes and then they immediately ignore when people excel at the student part.

No one really think it's important, including the schools.

You know, other programs in the ACC have better team GPAs AND better records. It's possible to win at Syracuse, but Scott Shafer hasn't proven yet that he has what it takes to create that winner. Why shouldn't he be at the bottom of the list?

And to those who are complaining about Syracuse.com reposting the story- grow some thicker skin. It's impossible to polish the turd of a season that Syracuse had. What's supposed to be said in the off-season when the reporters aren't granted any access?

I have no problem with the PS talking about the Sporting News thing, but my whole point is that why do they seem to go out of their way to put a negative spin on everything while ignoring positive stuff like the GPA? It's not about "polishing a turd"...it's about actually giving a little bit of credit once in awhile, instead of only taking the worst angle on everything. Like, one recent recruit we're going after with offers from Rutgers and Pitt, among others, they had in the first line how he "only has single digit offers." What is the point of that? Why take THAT angle on it, instead of pointing out we made the top five for a guy with multiple power 5 offers?

Stern said:

It matters to the kids and to their parents and to recruits parents. It also build character - which does translate to the field. But yeah - other than that, you're right ;).

LeMoyneCuse said:
You know, other programs in the ACC have better team GPAs AND better records. It's possible to win at Syracuse, but Scott Shafer hasn't proven yet that he has what it takes to create that winner. Why shouldn't he be at the bottom of the list? And to those who are complaining about Syracuse.com reposting the story- grow some thicker skin. It's impossible to polish the turd of a season that Syracuse had. What's supposed to be said in the off-season when the reporters aren't granted any access?

Are you saying regurgitating a BS list is better than the improvement in the classroom? It's not polishing a turd - both came out today and they ran the negative story. Omitting the positive one all together.

I'm pretty sure they could get a sound bite from someone concerning the 3.0 club. Easier and more monetarily advantageous to run the BS list story.

You know, other programs in the ACC have better team GPAs AND better records. It's possible to win at Syracuse, but Scott Shafer hasn't proven yet that he has what it takes to create that winner. Why shouldn't he be at the bottom of the list?

And to those who are complaining about Syracuse.com reposting the story- grow some thicker skin. It's impossible to polish the turd of a season that Syracuse had. What's supposed to be said in the off-season when the reporters aren't granted any access?
Part of the reason they don't get access, is the fact that they have a history of looking for all the bad things dating back over 25 years.

baggerbob said:
Part of the reason they don't get access, is the fact that they have a history of looking for all the bad things dating back over 25 years.

And since going primarily "web" - the relationship is strained. I don't know that they understand the customer (the fan) well. They go for click bait (you kind of have to a bit if that to get ad $) - at the expense of fans wanting real info. I'm not saying all positive - just a fair shake, with inside info you can't get other places. They feel entitled to access while running garbage. Earn trust the old fashioned way.

I take it the people who always complain about how "run down" and "out of date" the Dome is don't spend much time at Fenway Park or Cameron Indoor.
Or Neylund. You'd be surprised how "old" Neylund looks...

Yep. The coaches know what's what.

Who'd want to grant access to a reporter that incessantly belittles? That's like constantly going back to the ex-wife because you crave the verbal abuse. No thanks.

First time, long time. A couple things: I'm sure you may be right, but could you post which ACC teams had better GPAs this semester so we can see who beat SU out? Secondly, since Narduzzi "hasn't proven yet that he has what it takes to create that winner", how can he be ranked ahead of a coach with a bowl win? Thank you, I'll hang up and take your answers off the air.

First time, long time. A couple things: I'm sure you may be right, but could you post which ACC teams had better GPAs this semester so we can see who beat SU out? Secondly, since Narduzzi "hasn't proven yet that he has what it takes to create that winner", how can he be ranked ahead of a coach with a bowl win? Thank you, I'll hang up and take your answers off the air.
I thought the same about Narduzzi when I saw the list. These lists are jut lazy journalism. My 9 year-old could have created it by simply taking last years W-L and ranking it that way. Not sure what she would do about Narduzzi though ;)...maybe ask her magic 8 ball.

I thought the same about Narduzzi when I saw the list. These lists are jut lazy journalism. My 9 year-old could have created it by simply taking last years W-L and ranking it that way. Not sure what she would do about Narduzzi though ;)...maybe ask her magic 8 ball.

Isn't that what 9 year old girls use those paper fortune tellers for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom