Here's a good question to ask to everyone, who do you think will be the leading scorer on next years | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Here's a good question to ask to everyone, who do you think will be the leading scorer on next years

A torn meniscus is impossible to recover from? That's not true at all. I know 2 HS kids that had surgery a few months back for a meniscus tear and they were both back in 6-8 weeks. Another just tore his a couple weeks ago and he ended up having it "shaved off" and the prognosis is he'll be back in 4-6 weeks.
Yup. Depends where the tear is? if on bottom they just clean the area (shaving). Apparently the bottom is not subject to repairing/healing because of blood flow? If on top then a repair is in order. My daughter tore her ACL playing BB and the wife tore her Meniscus. Totally different situation. The latter was easy to recoup from since it was a bottom tear. The ACL takes 6-9 months.

Cooney. Or Roberson. Or Joseph.

These three will be the leading scorers--no doubt in my mind.

Last edited:
2 things

1. no returning isolation player.
2. no returner who has even showed enough glimpses they can pull up off the dribble, let alone under alittle pressure.

Your guess is as good as mine.

IMO, Joseph will be our best isolation player that isn't a center, and I don't think a center has ever lead Syracuse in scoring in the last 50 years. Maybe once.

Last edited:
DC is my biggest problem with the program. I don't think he recovers from the knee injury. They are too hush about it. You can recover very well from an ACL tear. But a torn meniscus is impossible. I wish we had more details on his injury. I feel bad for the kid but I think he's done.
Enough with the innuendo about Coleman's health and future. And none of us are entitled to "more details on his injury."

In conference or total?

Total, will be Cooney.

In conference it will probably Cooney again, but I've given up on predicting players' advancement and we could very easily have a repeat from last season where he gets shut down or he could blow up and do it all.

In conference or total?

Total, will be Cooney.

In conference it will probably Cooney again, but I've given up on predicting players' advancement and we could very easily have a repeat from last season where he gets shut down or he could blow up and do it all.

I suspect that Cooney won't get shut down if we have a more diversified offense, with other players who can score and other shooters to space the floor and make teams pay for junk scheming to overplay Cooney. Not suggesting that next year's team will be able to accomplish this, but I suspect that they will more than most expect.

2 things
1. no returning isolation player.
2. no returner who has even showed enough glimpses they can pull up off the dribble, let alone under alittle pressure.
Your guess is as good as mine.
IMO, Joseph will be our best isolation player that isn't a center, and I don't think a center has ever lead Syracuse in scoring in the last 50 years. Maybe once.
Bill Smith, late 60's

I suspect that Cooney won't get shut down if we have a more diversified offense, with other players who can score and other shooters to space the floor and make teams pay for junk scheming to overplay Cooney. Not suggesting that next year's team will be able to accomplish this, but I suspect that they will more than most expect.

Will we have more shooters? It is fully on the development of Buss and Johnson. I can also see some of their minutes happening at the 2 spot (while cooney is on the bench). Roberson, Mc, and Rak/Coleman will be the primary frontcourt, and I don't see much shooting at all.

Are we hoping BJ can put on enough strength to play the three out there with cooney? I don't see Buss as a three.

Bill Smith, late 60's

One of my all time favs being old enough to watch his whole career. Nasty player too.

What do people think BJ's role will be this yeaR?

I think he ends up taking the majority of the 3 minutes from Gbinije, though I love Gbinije.

Bill Smith, late 60's
and Rosie Bouie . . . plus I'm pretty sure that Rony Seikaly, Otis Hill and Etan Thomas all led the team in scoring at least once in their careers

team?

This will be interesting to see how this pans out as the season goes on. Like some have said already if Chris M. is the real deal then hopefully he's going to be leading us in scoring or Tyler Roberson. I think we'll get decent scoring from Joseph and let's pray that Cooney's shooting is on.

I could see it being a similar scoring dynamic to the 1999-2000 SU team which had 5 players average between 10-13 points per game. But if I absolutely had to choose, I guess I'd say Cooney averaging 13-14 ppg.

What do people think BJ's role will be this yeaR?

I think he ends up taking the majority of the 3 minutes from Gbinije, though I love Gbinije.
I don't think he breaks 10 minutes a game. I think he'll have a slightly longer development curve. He could wind up being a stud in his junior season though.

Gbinije is going to be the 2nd or 3rd best player on the team.

Will we have more shooters? It is fully on the development of Buss and Johnson. I can also see some of their minutes happening at the 2 spot (while cooney is on the bench). Roberson, Mc, and Rak/Coleman will be the primary frontcourt, and I don't see much shooting at all.

Are we hoping BJ can put on enough strength to play the three out there with cooney? I don't see Buss as a three.

I think it all comes down to how much of a sophomore leap BJ / Buss make, and how ready Joseph is. I'm more confident about the former two, since they've been in the program for a year. If Joseph can shoot a little bit [and I'm encouraged by that article the other day detailing how he's working on his shooting to get ready for when he arrives], then we have a good nucleus. You also have to factor in Cooney and Gbinije, and Roberson [I know people are skeptical, but this kid can really shoot--just wait]. We could go from having 2-3 guys who could make threes--two of whom were wildly inconsistent--to having 6 guys who can shoot.

That's a big difference.

I think Chris but probably by a slim margin. Cooney and Tyler should be right there with him. I could see Kaleb leading as well. Who knows maybe BJ, Mike or Ron have a break out year. Still I think we are looking at a more balanced club offensively with more places to go to score than last year. That said who is the crunch time go to guy?

Cooney with 14 PPG, but Kaleb will get close to catching him by the end of the season.

One of my all time favs being old enough to watch his whole career. Nasty player too.

Great player. He gets my vote as the top center in program history.

Also, if Cooney is our leading scorer at 14 ppg, I think we'll be a much better team if that scoring average is a product of lots of games between 10-20 points, as opposed to 2 points, 25 points, 4 points, 27 points, etc. stretches.

Can we please remember how much Cooney improved over last season? I see no reason not to expect the same improvement, I think he just got worn out near the end (huge minutes increase).

Cooney with 15.7 ppg, and Roberson in second with 11.3 ppg... other than that I see Rak with 10 ppg and everyone else below that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom