Here's a good question to ask to everyone, who do you think will be the leading scorer on next years | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Here's a good question to ask to everyone, who do you think will be the leading scorer on next years

Kaleb, because he will have the ball in his hands the most.

Enough with the innuendo about Coleman's health and future. And none of us are entitled to "more details on his injury."

"innuendo", I thought I could not be more clear.

KJ, Cooney or Roberson.

KJ will have the ball in his hands the most.

Cooney will have the green light to shoot the most.

Roberson, hopefully, will be at the FT line the most.

If I had to put money on it, I would probably go with Cooney, by a slim margin.

Just a guess, but I think next year will be one where we have 6-7 guys who average 8-12 ppg. and we won't have any one player who's far and away from the rest.

Roberson, McC, Christmas, Cooney, Gbinije, Joseph I think will each fall into this range. If Coleman plays I think he'll falls into this group too. The wild card between a solid and good, possibly very good season is BJ I think.

Papadakis said:
Roberson or "Byron Wesley"

Doubt we go after a guy who is used to 35mpg and is not a perimeter shooter. We need a 8mpg PG.

I think it all comes down to how much of a sophomore leap BJ / Buss make, and how ready Joseph is. I'm more confident about the former two, since they've been in the program for a year. If Joseph can shoot a little bit [and I'm encouraged by that article the other day detailing how he's working on his shooting to get ready for when he arrives], then we have a good nucleus. You also have to factor in Cooney and Gbinije, and Roberson [I know people are skeptical, but this kid can really shoot--just wait]. We could go from having 2-3 guys who could make threes--two of whom were wildly inconsistent--to having 6 guys who can shoot.

That's a big difference.
I agree, if Buss and Joseph can handle minutes at guard, Boeheim may be tempted to use Gbinije at forward more. If Buss gets Boeheimed and Joseph can't handle 30+ minutes I think it opens it up for BJ to get minutes at forward and maybe even guard.

That's a great question- unanswerable at this time.

Off of the results of recent years, it will probably be a forward:

1976-77 Jimmy Williams guard 14.1
1977-78 Marty Byrnes forward 16.3
1978-79 Roosevelt Bouie center 15.2
1979-80 Roosevelt Bouie center 16.1
1980-81 Danny Schayes center 14.6
1981-82 Eric Santifer guard 17.0
1982-83 Eric Santifer guard 17.8
1983-84 Rafael Addison forward 17.7
1984-85 Rafael Addison forward 18.4
1985-86 Pearl Washington guard 17.3
1986-87 Sherman Douglas guard 17.3
1987-88 Rony Seikaly center 16.3
1988-89 Sherman Douglas guard 18.2
1989-90 Billy Owens forward 18.2
1990-91 Billy Owens forward 23.3
1991-92 Dave Johnson forward 19.8
1992-93 Lawrence Moten forward 17.9
1993-94 Lawrence Moten guard 21.5
1994-95 Lawrence Moten guard 19.6
1995-96 John Wallace forward 22.2
1996-97 Otis Hill center 15.7
1997-98 Todd Burgan forward 17.6
1998-99 Jason Hart guard 13.9
1999-00 Etan Thomas center 13.6
2000-01 Preston Shumpert forward 19.5
2001-02 Preston Shumpert forward 20.7
2002-03 Carmelo Anthony forward 22.2
2003-04 Hakim Warrick forward 19.8
2004-05 Hakim Warrick forward 21.4
2005-06 Gerry McNamara guard 16.0
2006-07 Demetris Nichols forward 18.9
2007-08 Donte Green forward 17.7
2008-09 Jonny Flynn guard 17.4
2009-10 Wes Johnson forward 16.5
2010-11 Kris Joseph forward 14.3
2011-12 Kris Joseph forward 13.4
2012-13 CJ Fair forward 14.5
2013-14 CJ Fair forward 16.5

But since our forwards are either going to be playing out of position, (Christmas), or starting for the first time, (Roberson) or freshmen, (McCullough), this could be year when our leading scorer could be a guard. It will only be a center if Coleman makes an astonishing turn-around. But Joseph may be similar to Johnny Flynn, the last guard to lead us in scoring. Cooney could have a big junior years. I think the scoring will likely be flat, with several guys in or close to double figures. (Of course, if we score like we did this year it could be both flat and low). I don't have a good feeling about McCullough, at least as freshman. I don't think Roberson is the type to be a high scorer. I don't think Coleman will be ready for a big year. And I don't see Cooney as a #1 scorer unless he expands his game. So I'll go with Joseph, who will have to play 35 minutes a game and will have the ball in his hands more than anyone else.

2 things

1. no returning isolation player.
2. no returner who has even showed enough glimpses they can pull up off the dribble, let alone under alittle pressure.

Your guess is as good as mine.

IMO, Joseph will be our best isolation player that isn't a center, and I don't think a center has ever lead Syracuse in scoring in the last 50 years. Maybe once.

Just have to do this......how about 6 times in the Boeheim era.

Thomas led us in scoring in 99-00
Hill led us in scoring in 96-97
Seikaly led us in scoring in 87-88
Schayes led us in scoring in 80-81
Bouie led us in scoring in 79-80 and 78-79

edit: and now reading the thread I see others beat me to this.

Just have to do this...how about 6 times in the Boeheim era.

Thomas led us in scoring in 99-00
Hill led us in scoring in 96-97
Seikaly led us in scoring in 87-88
Schayes led us in scoring in 80-81
Bouie led us in scoring in 79-80 and 78-79

edit: and now reading the thread I see others beat me to this.

interesting, its been about 15 years. In Fairness Onuaku was pretty good and had Wes Johnson on his team.

Last edited:
team?

This will be interesting to see how this pans out as the season goes on. Like some have said already if Chris M. is the real deal then hopefully he's going to be leading us in scoring or Tyler Roberson. I think we'll get decent scoring from Joseph and let's pray that Cooney's shooting is on.

Cooney will be top scorer. Experience factor.

DC is my biggest problem with the program. I don't think he recovers from the knee injury. They are too hush about it. I feel bad for the kid but I think he's done.

I was in this camp until I saw that picture of Coleman so skinny and realized it wasn't a fake. Him dropping 40 pounds (like it appears) is going to make it so much easier on his knees. I thought he was done, but I am cautiously optimistic now. I think the kid has one more shot.

Great player. He gets my vote as the top center in program history.

I know he put up great numbers his last couple years, but I never saw him play. I became a fan the year after he graduated - the year of "Roy Runts".

Among the players I've seen play, Rosie was the best defensively, even better than Etan because of the intimidation factor. Etan was an explosive athlete, but Rosie was damn scary back there.

Offensively, it took quite a while for him to put it all together, but nobody was better than Rony Seikaly his last year and a half.

I was in this camp until I saw that picture of Coleman so skinny and realized it wasn't a fake. Him dropping 40 pounds (like it appears) is going to make it so much easier on his knees. I thought he was done, but I am cautiously optimistic now. I think the kid has one more shot.

I wish they told us more about the type of knee injury he has. Less weight will help for sure. It will be really tough to just have Rak and Obokoh as centers next year. I hope DC makes a solid contribution one of these seasons.

I wish they told us more about the type of knee injury he has. Less weight will help for sure. It will be really tough to just have Rak and Obokoh as centers next year. I hope DC makes a solid contribution one of these seasons.

Could McCullough play center? I understand he has a 7-2 wingspan.

46 points from your top 5 scorers? That wouldn't bode well at all.

That would be the 2005-06 team with Cooney instead of GMAC.

Could McCullough play center? I understand he has a 7-2 wingspan.

The center spot in the 2-3 zone is the toughest to learn and play from what I have heard. If he can do it as a freshmen it would be sorely needed.

Where do you think DC's basketball career goes from here?

46 points from your top 5 scorers? That wouldn't bode well at all.

The team will need to score more than 50 points per game to actually win. The defense this year held teams to around 50 points per game. I think we will need serious contributions from BJ, Paterson, and Roberson. I thought Paterson showed some speed and shooting ability. I hope JB just doesn't play Cooney at the 2 spot all game all season.

Dave85 said:
I hope JB just doesn't play Cooney at the 2 spot all game all season.

Cooney played 32mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom