Here's the Deal: Rhode Island is Terrible | Syracusefan.com

Here's the Deal: Rhode Island is Terrible

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
They won 1 game last year. They were repeatedly crushed by FCS competition. A team this bad doesn't do a 180 degree reversal overnight. They are not by any stretch of the imagination even remotely Villanova.

SU will win for sure. But, given how bad Rhode Island is, how do you gauge this win? IMHO, 28 - 0 at the half is the marker. Any less than that indicates we have problems on one side of the ball or the other, or both.

I'm hoping for 50+ points from the offense (although I'd really like to see us in the 60s) and 14 or fewer points from the defense. Should be a stomping.

That said, I want this to play out like a real football game. Hunt's got to put the ball in the air. If all we do is run the ball it means we're content. Content won't get us where we need to be. We need to push.

I'll gauge success by how well the O and D execute. That may, or may not, mean a high scoring game. Would like to see RI never get across the 50, and would like to see us push the ball downfield at will. Somewhere in the neighborhood of a 28 pt spread would make me feel much better, too.

I'm hoping for 50+ points from the offense (although I'd really like to see us in the 60s) and 14 or fewer points from the defense. Should be a stomping.

That said, I want this to play out like a real football game. Hunt's got to put the ball in the air. If all we do is run the ball it means we're content. Content won't get us where we need to be. We need to push.

I really agree with the need to see Hunt push the ball down the field successfully. I am confident we should be able to run the ball down their throat, but I want to see Hunt look sharp in the passing game.

Last edited:
A blowout win really wont tell us much but if the game is 17-7 or something like that midway through third then we know we have some major issues. Getting out to fast start for a change would be great, 14-0 midway through the first would be ideal.

If and when we get stopped it will be from a missed assignment, turnover or penalty. If they move the ball on us or score it will be for the same reasons. We may get off to a slow start or we might stall on offense at some point but we will win by atleast 25-30 points.

The Rhodies will be sky high flying around adrenaline bunnies......mis direction early then get in rhythem execute and pound the crap out of them when they settle down.

I say the first half is a little sloppy and nervewracking, in the 2nd half we play a lot better and pull away. 34-14

Blowout tells you nothing. Close game means we stink. No ifs ands or buts about it. If we score at will but can't stop URI we stink on defense or vice versa. 24-21 game we stink everywhere without a doubt.

We squeak by uri we will win 2-3 games

I think it may be Dungey who gets the mop-up time. Coach Shafer looked way too coy when talking about him at his recent press conference...

Yeah I'm hoping we roll on these guys so that we can get the young bloods in there to get some in game experience. Like if we reallllly take it to them we could see them get the whole last quarter, which would be nice. I really want to see what Dungey/Fredricks/Strictland got.

But then again do you blow redshirts for situations like that when Wilson can adequately handle situations like that?

Does a blowout mean we don't stink?
As coaches say, "The team that does the blowing out is not as good as it looked, and the team that got blown out is not as bad as they looked."

My thinking is this: If we score 28 in the first half and they score 0, that means their offense never had a sustained drive which is essential for us to mount four scoring drives. If we score 28, we drove the field efficiently four times. Those would be good signs and about as much as we could take from this game. After the half, it doesn't matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom