Here's the Deal: Rhode Island is Terrible | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Here's the Deal: Rhode Island is Terrible

To me a blowout goes a long way towards saying we can do what we need to do, I.e. Dominate inferior opponents. To me, that's ALOT better than playing a close one against URI. Does it mean we will win every game? No. But it might mean we've improved.

I think a blowout means that either we don't stink or that we get to have another week of thinking we don't stink. Either is good.

We beat Rhode Island 63-17 in 2002. it was the only one of our first seven games we won on the way to 4-8.

Last edited:
orangeinjersey said:
Hmm this statement doesnt bode well for our hopes this season now does it

I don't think we were as bad as people think. Injuries and offense. Ones a fluke the other hopefully fixed

I don't think we were as bad as people think. Injuries and offense. Ones a fluke the other hopefully fixed
I know this is you standard here and maybe you're right. But we weren't bad. We were horrible. That will be hard to replicate.

AZOrange said:
I know this is you standard here and maybe you're right. But we weren't bad. We were horrible. That will be hard to replicate.

Yep. By any measure were bad. If you want to discount the reasons and take just the simplest of views you can just write off the whole season.

I look at it objectively. Lots of bad plays and coaching. But tons of other stuff too.

They won 1 game last year. They were repeatedly crushed by FCS competition. A team this bad doesn't do a 180 degree reversal overnight. They are not by any stretch of the imagination even remotely Villanova.

SU will win for sure. But, given how bad Rhode Island is, how do you gauge this win? IMHO, 28 - 0 at the half is the marker. Any less than that indicates we have problems on one side of the ball or the other, or both.

Whatever the big boys routinely do to FCS opponents, thats what SU should do. Anything less means this team either has more work to do to get better physically and/or mentally. In the past, I always wanted SU to take their foot off the gas early. Now I feel differently. Put up as many points as you can.

we weren't horrible until Hunt was done for the season. 1st 4 1/2 games were were alright despite the 1st game showing vs Villanova (and Hunts stupidity as he was the #1 can't lose player to our offense last yr )

Well we know we arent going to open up the offense, because we will attempt to keep parts hidden until a real opponent. Having said that...id like to see 200+ on the ground as well as 200+ in the air. Hold them to nothing but FGs or less, and keep our guys healthy and i will be happy. If we could score over 40 it will be nice.

Should be an easy W. But even after last year we learned we can't take these teams lightly even though Villanova was in a whole other class than Rhode Island. Defense should be fine. May have a few busts because there are a lot of fresh faces but still should be able to shut them down. And offensively we should be able to overpower them. It might look a little ugly early, but by the 2nd and 3rd quarter I expect to put them away in a big way. If not, we'll have to get a lot of things fixed before Wake. But I expect this one to be a blowout. 1-0!!!

Whatever the big boys routinely do to FCS opponents, thats what SU should do. Anything less means this team either has more work to do to get better physically and/or mentally. In the past, I always wanted SU to take their foot off the gas early. Now I feel differently. Put up as many points as you can.
I want this or this:

September 19 12:00 PM Rutgers #13 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY ESPN+ W 70–14 42,716
November 28 3:30 PM #19 Miami (FL) #21 Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY CBS W 66–13 49,521

Well we know we arent going to open up the offense, because we will attempt to keep parts hidden until a real opponent.

I think I've heard this rationale against every FCS opponent since at least the 1st year of DM. We waited 2 seasons to see the offense unveiled at the Pinstripe Bowl during his tenure.

I want to see a smart, confident football team. I'm not expecting perfection week 1 nor do I think it will be requisite to win comfortably. What I do want to see is a limited number of penalties, blown coverages, and missed blocking assignments. This will be indicative of a team that understands and has confidence in what the coaches want from them. That said it is game 1 and there will likely be a few hiccups (even if they don't show up on the scoreboard) so when they happen let's all do our best to fight the urge to jump to our demise from the 300s.

I think I've heard this rationale against every FCS opponent since at least the 1st year of DM. We waited 2 seasons to see the offense unveiled at the Pinstripe Bowl during his tenure.
Its not my rationale... Our coaches have constantly admitted that we wont be opening up the playbook entirely. I don't agree with it by any means. It's not like hiding parts of the playbook is going to steal us any plays.

Its not my rationale... Our coaches have constantly admitted that we wont be opening up the playbook entirely. I don't agree with it by any means. It's not like hiding parts of the playbook is going to steal us any plays.

My post wasn't directed at you or the post. Just reminded me since the start of DM anytime we don't score as much as we hoped against a FCS people claim we are saving the playbook for "the big game"

Is that juco qb that they're starting any good?
I don't know much about his situation, but I look at it like, he went to JUCO and the best he could do was land at a low FCS team. That should bode well for SU. Was he offered by better teams? I'll be honest, I didn't check. That being said, he shouldn't kill us. If he does, the D will need to grow up in a huge hurry! Hopefully we'll be fine.

My post wasn't directed at you or the post. Just reminded me since the start of DM anytime we don't score as much as we hoped against a FCS people claim we are saving the playbook for "the big game"
Great point

The miss the old days when we would argue about whether we should be taking a knee up 59-0 on a cupcake or not.

Great point

two years ago we scored 50 points in back to back games and held teams to under 17 points so this is not exactly true, and last year once.

vs Wagner 54-0
vs Tulane 52-17

vs CME 40-3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors