Hey stat boy... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hey stat boy...

it's too bad they're such a long shot for the playoffs. stupid punts against KC kill them. beat KC and you're in great shape

they do have the best defense I've ever seen in Buffalo and i've given him credit for being 3-3 choosing defensive coordinators
No Kyle Orton and EJ kills them... you can't assume they would score even if they kept the ball on those 4th downs against KC. What you can see is Kyle Orton missing wide open receivers all throughout the second half of that game. You can also EJ completely self-destructing against the Texans in another game they had no business losing. Marrone is pretty bad at in game decisions but what really has killed this team are terrible qb's, terrible oline, terrible TE's and insisting on running a 2/3 TE set as your base when you have terrible TEs. I think Hackett is a smart dude but I have no idea why he is in love with three TE sets when they don't even have one good TE.

I've watched football a long time, Odell is special. With Cruz in the fold, and a new RB, that offense can be extremely potent. If Randle is around he'll be better just because he's gonna get single coverage all day.

Hell, the defense knows we're going to Beckham right now and still can't stop it. Dudes special.
I've watched a lot of football too... Sammy is better than Beckham. He is being held back by the worst QBs in the league. Take a look at the catch he had in the first quarter of the Packers game where he just snatched the ball out of the air. Special.

I've watched a lot of football too... Sammy is better than Beckham. He is being held back by the worst QBs in the league. Take a look at the catch he had in the first quarter of the Packers game where he just snatched the ball out of the air. Special.
I won't debate specific catches, bc, I like ours better. They are both special players, we didn't have to get rid of next years number 1 for ours though. And, fwiw, even though I think they're both going to be around for a long time, I'd still take Beckham over Watkins.

Dixon holds on to the ball, they win. Chandler hold onto the catch, they win. McKelvin doesn't fumble, they win, Lawson plays fundamentally sound they get the ball on the Buffalo 40 and keep the lead.
Physical gaffes will happen. Mental gaffes don't have to. If you do the smart things when making decisions, it provides more slack for physical errors.

because hes spent 2 years learning from future Hall of Famer Tom Coughlin and future Hall of Famer Eli Manning...

that new education alone pushes him up to a 2 or 3.
Yes. 3rd round and Manuel for The Pride of The Orange.

at least that win gives us at least another year of these threads

2 best pass defenses are Cleveland and Buffalo

someone might give schwartz another chance next year and marrone might go 4-4. Schwartz seems weird but he might deserve another chance - i think matt stafford is seriously overrated and that makes people think less of schwartz
Wrong. People think less of Schwartz because he sucked as a HC. The team had 0 discipline and couldn't finish games. The personnel hasn't changed, the coaching staff has. 1st place in the NFC North under Caldwell with 2 games to go. Schwartz had 1 winning season in 5 years and it was year 3. Caldwell has already matched Schwartz's best effort in his first year and if he wins 1 out of the next 2 games, Detroit will have their best record since 1991.

Physical gaffes will happen. Mental gaffes don't have to. If you do the smart things when making decisions, it provides more slack for physical errors.

But there neither of those decisions were "gaffes".

Wrong. People think less of Schwartz because he sucked as a HC. The team had 0 discipline and couldn't finish games. The personnel hasn't changed, the coaching staff has. 1st place in the NFC North under Caldwell with 2 games to go. Schwartz had 1 winning season in 5 years and it was year 3. Caldwell has already matched Schwartz's best effort in his first year and if he wins 1 out of the next 2 games, Detroit will have their best record since 1991.
making his players carry him off the field should probably disqualify him

Kaiser just fleeced you. No one in the league would trade anything more than a fourth round pick for Ryan, tops.

Six round maybe, not even Buffalo's front office is giving anything for Nassib.

I won't debate specific catches, bc, I like ours better. They are both special players, we didn't have to get rid of next years number 1 for ours though. And, fwiw, even though I think they're both going to be around for a long time, I'd still take Beckham over Watkins.

There both good players and Beckam has looked amazing the past month the guy obviously has the tools to be a Dez/Megatron type of player.. That said hes played against 3 of the worst secondaries in all of football with a going no where Giants team who is just throwing it around the backyard. Next year assuming both players are healthy and the Bills have some semblance of QB play they will both be great to watch.

Meathead just beat the hottest team in football on the road.

Man up and give him the credit he is due.

Polian and Carucci talking about "Coach of the Year".

Too damn funny.

But Stern told us it was certain he was getting fired.

Obviously a huge win for Buffalo and an amazing win especially for those of us who have been suffering for the better part of two decades. Its clear the current D is special and outside of Kyle Williams the D is pretty young and all of this is happening without Alonso. Sets up pretty well for the future especially if Buffalo can add another CB as the Mckelvin era may drawing to a close soon. Offensively the Bills are what they are. Orton's lack of accuracy is really bad and while I love Fjax its clear father time is winding down that career. Buffalo needs to bring a new RB along with a TE and another WR. Tough to fill all of that in one offseason but with the D in pretty good shape and Alonso and Mckelvin coming back (assuming were re-signing Hughes) Buffalo could go offensive heavy in both the draft and FA and try to have a new look going into next year.

Great win for the franchise but need to be sure we take care of business next week. Nothing would epitomize the Bills current streak of ineptness more then following this win up with a total dud next week in Oakland. Marrone will be back next year as well zero question.

Meathead just beat the hottest team in football on the road.

Man up and give him the credit he is due.

Yes, though he is "stupid," Doug Marrone seems to know how to win football games.

And though according to some he was over his head as HC for Syracuse University, I wish he were still here.

Buffalo has an outstanding D, good skill position guys, but need OL help and definitely need a QB.

I don't know if they have many FAs or how much cap space they have for 2015. Marrone should keep his job, and honestly have 1 year tacked on for his performance.

Buffalo shouldn't have lost at home to San Diego and Kansas City, but they got unlucky and if they won one of those two games they would likely be a playoff team. @ New England is a tough game for them as NE hasn't lost a regular season home game with Tom Brady as QB to an AFC since 2006.

New England has a couple more good years in them. The Pats will have 14 million dollars in salary cap they will carry over to next year. As long as they give Revis an extension the team will be able to do some stuff if BB wants to.

Buffalo will also need to give Orton a pay raise. Starting QBs are making 12-15 million even if they are mediocre these days. I can't see Orton not wanting to re-negotiate his contract if he is the starter. When QBs like Alex Smith are getting 17 million its sad.

millhouse never makes suggestions on how to fix the problems at hand. he only harps on the pro blems. therefore, he is never wrong.

millhouse never makes suggestions on how to fix the problems at hand. he only harps on the pro blems. therefore, he is never wrong.
I apologize. when i criticize marrone and shafer for punting in many situations, i thought it was implied that i was suggesting to not punt in those situations. for you, i will make sure to spell out how keeping the ball is a solution to punting the ball

I apologize. when i criticize marrone and shafer for punting in many situations, i thought it was implied that i was suggesting to not punt in those situations. for you, i will make sure to spell out how keeping the ball is a solution to punting the ball
Trenchant!

SMARTER FOOTBALL
4th Down: When to Go for It and Why
SEPT. 4, 2014

This post is meant to be a quick tutorial on fourth-down strategy.

First, the No. 1 lesson from my 10 years of data analysis about what to do on fourth down: Teams need to go for it much more often than they do. It does get a little complicated toward the end of games, but coaches should almost always consider going for it.

In a reasonably close game, and any time until the last 10 minutes of the fourth quarter — when time and score become even more important considerations — here are my recommendations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/upshot/4th-down-when-to-go-for-it-and-why.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

SMARTER FOOTBALL
4th Down: When to Go for It and Why
SEPT. 4, 2014

This post is meant to be a quick tutorial on fourth-down strategy.

First, the No. 1 lesson from my 10 years of data analysis about what to do on fourth down: Teams need to go for it much more often than they do. It does get a little complicated toward the end of games, but coaches should almost always consider going for it.

In a reasonably close game, and any time until the last 10 minutes of the fourth quarter — when time and score become even more important considerations — here are my recommendations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/upshot/4th-down-when-to-go-for-it-and-why.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

The basic premise for his analysis is meaningless:

"More than half of all plays in the N.F.L. gain 4 or more yards, which means the numbers are on the offense’s side and a conversion is more likely than not."

No it doesn't.

Yes, though he is "stupid," Doug Marrone seems to know how to win football games.

And though according to some he was over his head as HC for Syracuse University, I wish he were still here.

I don' t think his coaching credentials can be questioned, unless you hold punting decisions as the golden rule to rule all other metrics - but his recruiting prowess (or at least his enthusiasm for recruiting) was less than great.

Marrone's best trait as a football coach is picking defensive coordinators. He just never gets it wrong.

He also was good at fetching Payton's coffee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom