Hickey | Syracusefan.com

Hickey

iommi

Living Legend
I know he has all the preseason accolades. I know he'll be playing on Sundays next year, but outside of a few plays (ie: his pancake block on PTG's long TD run), he was less than impressive. We seemed to run left a lot, including when we were stuffed repeatedly in OT. I know he's WAY down the list of issues coming out of this game, but his performance certainly was nothing special at all tonight.

I hope the OLine plays harder next game. It'll be interesting to see who has the guts to dig deep and come out ready to go next game. We looked unprepared for this game...and as others have said, Joe Adam needs to do a better job of coaching these guys up-- if he's capable. Thats a big IF.

One final note: Lasker was the wrong guy to be playing this stupid East/ West scheme. He has zero lateral quickness. Why weren't we pounding the ball straight ahead against a team with smaller athletes???? Playing like we did allowed Villanova's smaller athletes to run and swarm to the ball and play in space, something they were more than happy to do. McDonald's game plan and lack of adjustments: disturbing at best.

Last edited:
I'm bumping this because it got lost in the post-game. I'd like some opinions/ feedback. Thanks.

To me, the status quo O-Line(especially the interior) still do not pass the "look test" for modern linemen. Shortish, pudgy with bulges in weird places is the exact opposite of the new look prototype. Long/lean/rangy AND atheletic...

Funny, Tuttle, but tell me why you disagree...assuming you do.

Hickey was not the issue our LG, center, RG were getting blown thr F**k up. The nova dline was getting huge penetration.

Go figure he was the only OL to get a hold, right? Or did Foy get one too?

oldpinepoint said:
Hickey was not the issue our LG, center, RG were getting blown thr F**k up. The nova dline was getting huge penetration.

Exactly the case!

oldpinepoint said:

Exactly the case!

I know he has all the preseason accolades. I know he'll be playing on Sundays next year, but outside of a few plays (ie: his pancake block on PTG's long TD run), he was less than impressive. We seemed to run left a lot, including when we were stuffed repeatedly in OT. I know he's WAY down the list of issues coming out of this game, but his performance certainly was nothing special at all tonight.

I hope the OLine plays harder next game. It'll be interesting to see who has the guts to dig deep and come out ready to go next game. We looked unprepared for this game...and as others have said, Joe Adam needs to do a better job of coaching these guys up-- if he's capable. Thats a big IF.

One final note: Lasker was the wrong guy to be playing this stupid East/ West scheme. He has zero lateral quickness. Why weren't we pounding the ball straight ahead against a team with smaller athletes???? Playing like we did allowed Villanova's smaller athletes to run and swarm to the ball and play in space, something they were more than happy to do. McDonald's game plan and lack of adjustments: disturbing at best.
Wasn't Hickey at all. As said earlier, the C and G spots were blown up all night long. The right side of the line was weak and they consistently brought more guys on the other side to try to overwhelm Hickey and create as much penetration from all sides as possible. Lasker and Foy were garbage most of the night and Miller was in the backfield on most plays. We need Nick Robinson and Omari Palmer to get healthy, and quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom