hmmm... UConn deserve another look? | Syracusefan.com

hmmm... UConn deserve another look?

cap2nine

Scout Team
Regardless of the outcome of tonight's game, does UConn deserve an invite to the ACC.? I realize a lot more goes into an invitation than a basketball record, and coming off an NCAA suspension is cause for concern, but I feel that this tournament run by the Huskies is a nice boost to their resume. Although their football program has been headed in the wrong direction for the past seasons but, should they win tonight, UConn will be the only D1 team to boast 3 men's basketball NCs since the turn of the century and 4 back to '99. And, there's no doubt that their women's team is THE dominant force in the college ranks. Again, I know there are other factors to consider but with Maryland on the way out and L'ville on the way in, the league is still left at a clumsy 15. If I set my emotions aside, I would welcome a UConn invitation.

Thoughts?

Regardless of the outcome of tonight's game, does UConn deserve an invite to the ACC.? I realize a lot more goes into an invitation than a basketball record, and coming off an NCAA suspension is cause for concern, but I feel that this tournament run by the Huskies is a nice boost to their resume. Although their football program has been headed in the wrong direction for the past seasons but, should they win tonight, UConn will be the only D1 team to boast 3 men's basketball NCs since the turn of the century and 4 back to '99. And, there's no doubt that their women's team is THE dominant force in the college ranks. Again, I know there are other factors to consider but with Maryland on the way out and L'ville on the way in, the league is still left at a clumsy 15. If I set my emotions aside, I would welcome a UConn invitation.

Thoughts?
It has nothing to do with the quality of their bball team. It has everything to do with their footprint and currently BC and Cuse cover it.

No.

They have a great basketball program. Awesome.

What they don't have is a brand, a football program worth anything and a geographic location that brings anything to the ACC, but we should totally piss off Clemson and FSU by bringing in another basketball school.

I would love to have them in the ACC. They had nothing to play for last year other than Ollie's job and they had a good season and got him that job. Says something about their pride and character. Besides who do you get more exited to play against UConn or Wake forrest, Va tech ? It would be nice to have another northeast team in my opinion. Hope they get them before the Big 10 does.

Nope. I still have a small hope that UC gets another look. If they are looking at schools that are in a quality recruiting area then i think UC fits the bill. The hoop is good and the football is light years better than UConn. Plus then I'd get SU games in Cincy again. Why can't they see the positives in that?

If the ACC wanted them they would be in that conference now. The football schools FSU, Clemson, Miami didn't want UConn over Louisville. The ACC isn't expanding again unless teams leave after the GOR expires or ND commits full-time which isn't happening.

Will Uconn get into the Big Ten? Who else would they be looking to add?

Here is how it works. Lets say each team in a league gets $10 from the league from tv and marketing. If you want to bring in another team, each team must at the very least keep the teams in the league at $10. Most likely, the league won't do it unless each team starts getting say $11 from the league. The B1G is already looking at disappointing numbers from the addition of Rutgers and Maryland. UConn doesn't add to the value of the B1G. There are not any signs that the B1G is interested in going down that road. The ACC would be their best bet and they show little signs that they are interested for a number of reasons.

Here is how it works. Lets say each team in a league gets $10 from the league from tv and marketing. If you want to bring in another team, each team must at the very least keep the teams in the league at $10. Most likely, the league won't do it unless each team starts getting say $11 from the league. The B1G is already looking at disappointing numbers from the addition of Rutgers and Maryland. UConn doesn't add to the value of the B1G. There are not any signs that the B1G is interested in going down that road. The ACC would be their best bet and they show little signs that they are interested for a number of reasons.

Thank you for pointing this out. Any school thats brought in has to increase the pie enough so that everyone gets a bigger slice. How does Uconn do that?

Remember when the Big 12 was a mess a few years back and it looked like Texas was leaving.

Everybody was jumping for the opportunity to get Kansas... oh wait, they weren't. And UConn basketball no matter the titles, is not Kansas basketball.

It's pretty clear that UCONN is going all-in in its pursuit of the B1G. Being the finals for mens and women's BB has put the UCONN president in the spotlight and everything she is saying is meant for the ears of the B1G.

AAU is on track and will likely happen. The state is continuing to invest in the university.

I'm hoping they come to feel that adding UCONN to the group of MD, Penn St & RU makes sense

If UConn can at least keep the payouts the same then they would be okay to add. I'd hate to see them go to the B1G. Cuse and BC would be most hurt by that.

The myth of Kansas and UConn to the Big Ten is just talk on a few message boards. Missouri is a more valuable commodity than Kansas and the Big Ten passed on them. Also, Kansas has a 95% acceptance rate. AAU or not, that is pathetic on the academic side of things. UConn is not AAU, not contiguous, and doesn't help the Big Ten where they need it the most: on the football side of things. UConn is going to need a string of consecutive bowl appearances before they get a look from either the ACC (which is a more likely destination) or the Big Ten.

If UConn can at least keep the payouts the same then they would be okay to add. I'd hate to see them go to the B1G. Cuse and BC would be most hurt by that.

How would UCONN to the B1G hurt SU? We are both national BB programs, not regional.

I don't think it would impact SU at all.

The myth of Kansas and UConn to the Big Ten is just talk on a few message boards. Missouri is a more valuable commodity than Kansas and the Big Ten passed on them. Also, Kansas has a 95% acceptance rate. AAU or not, that is pathetic on the academic side of things. UConn is not AAU, not contiguous, and doesn't help the Big Ten where they need it the most: on the football side of things. UConn is going to need a string of consecutive bowl appearances before they get a look from either the ACC (which is a more likely destination) or the Big Ten.

1) Academically (not research) UCONN is right inline with other B1G programs.
2) Delaney is on record saying contiguous doesn't matter
3) UCONN & the state of CT is making a huge push for AAU
4) The B1G doesn't need a new program to help in fb - they need Michigan and Penn St to be Michigan and Penn St

sdhusky said:
How would UCONN to the B1G hurt SU? We are both national BB programs, not regional. I don't think it would impact SU at all.

You're still hung up on this basketball thing aren't you? Basketball success is down the list for importance to conference affiliation. Win or lose tonight, it won't move the needle at all one way or the other. Same with getting to the F4. If basketball mattered, you'd be in a conference already. My god, rutgirls is. That has to hurt.

1) Academically (not research) UCONN is right inline with other B1G programs.
2) Delaney is on record saying contiguous doesn't matter
3) UCONN & the state of CT is making a huge push for AAU
4) The B1G doesn't need a new program to help in fb - they need Michigan and Penn St to be Michigan and Penn St
UConn doesn't offer the Big Ten anything that they don't already have.
1. They have a part of the New York market
2. They have "top" programs in basketball - Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin, Maryland.
3. And UConn stinks at football, which is undoubtedly the most important piece in conference realignment.
4. UConn is NOT AAU

You're still hung up on this basketball thing aren't you? Basketball success is down the list for importance to conference affiliation. Win or lose tonight, it won't move the needle at all one way or the other. Same with getting to the F4. If basketball mattered, you'd be in a conference already. My god, rutgirls is. That has to hurt.

I'm actually not hurting right now. As a UCONN fan, I have to admit, I'm on a bit of a high right now.

It's exciting. Thrilling. I can't wait for tonight. 4 titles in 16 years? Good lord, never in my wildest dreams...

You may be 100% correct about CR. I don't know. I'm just telling you that UCONN is pursuing the B1G with gusto. Could very well be a total waste of energy. Burton has donated money to UCONN to help them pursue CR. They must think there is a chance.

I'm actually not hurting right now. As a UCONN fan, I have to admit, I'm on a bit of a high right now.

It's exciting. Thrilling. I can't wait for tonight. 4 titles in 16 years? Good lord, never in my wildest dreams...

You may be 100% correct about CR. I don't know. I'm just telling you that UCONN is pursuing the B1G with gusto. Could very well be a total waste of energy. Burton has donated money to UCONN to help them pursue CR. They must think there is a chance.

He donated a lot of money for football too. Look how that's turned out. ;)

He donated a lot of money for football too. Look how that's turned out. ;)

Well, two BE championships? A BCS game? I think it worked out beyond expectations.

We've had a couple of down years but Diaco gives me the same feel as Ollie. I think we will be better than ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom