hmmm... UConn deserve another look? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

hmmm... UConn deserve another look?

The ACC already has plenty of schools with good basketball and mediocre to poor football.

Hilarious.

In the eyes of the football schools when it comes to support. The football schools want big stadium schools and that is a simple fact. I'm talking about support not quality of play.

Regardless of the outcome of tonight's game, does UConn deserve an invite to the ACC.? I realize a lot more goes into an invitation than a basketball record, and coming off an NCAA suspension is cause for concern, but I feel that this tournament run by the Huskies is a nice boost to their resume. Although their football program has been headed in the wrong direction for the past seasons but, should they win tonight, UConn will be the only D1 team to boast 3 men's basketball NCs since the turn of the century and 4 back to '99. And, there's no doubt that their women's team is THE dominant force in the college ranks. Again, I know there are other factors to consider but with Maryland on the way out and L'ville on the way in, the league is still left at a clumsy 15. If I set my emotions aside, I would welcome a UConn invitation.

Thoughts?

I'll go against the grain here and say bring them on. Need to get to 16 for hoops so we eliminate those clumsy weekends off that necessitate scheduling inequities like when we had to go to Maryland for a Saturday - Monday turnaround while the Terps rested up for 6 days. Much easier to manage an odd number for football than hoops. Four championships in 15 years speaks for itself and don't give me that tired - "but look who they beat" line. And when BC brings something - ANYTHING - to the table they can start to complain. And the APR issue is not limited to UConn. Let's be honest - we've certainly walked the tightrope here and if not for the obligatory two scholarships we give to high achieving walk-ons each year we might have found ourselves on the wrong side of the line. Look - I hated watching last night's game - two of my least favorite programs, but in the interest of the league overall I say add Storrs.

I'll go against the grain here and say bring them on. Need to get to 16 for hoops so we eliminate those clumsy weekends off that necessitate scheduling inequities like when we had to go to Maryland for a Saturday - Monday turnaround while the Terps rested up for 6 days. Much easier to manage an odd number for football than hoops. Four championships in 15 years speaks for itself and don't give me that tired - "but look who they beat" line. And when BC brings something - ANYTHING - to the table they can start to complain. And the APR issue is not limited to UConn. Let's be honest - we've certainly walked the tightrope here and if not for the obligatory two scholarships we give to high achieving walk-ons each year we might have found ourselves on the wrong side of the line. Look - I hated watching last night's game - two of my least favorite programs, but in the interest of the league overall I say add Storrs.

Whoever we add has to increase revenue for all teams. Otherwise we don't NEED to add anyone.

SmilinBob said:
In the eyes of the football schools when it comes to support. The football schools want big stadium schools and that is a simple fact. I'm talking about support not quality of play.

Like Wake Forest, BC, Pitt and Duke?

Like SU, which switches the date of its opener so as not to compete with a country singer and the state fair?

That kind of support?

If divisions are scrapped like the ACC is wanting and we went to pods it would be easier to add the Huskies without having to add a 16th team. It would also allow the southern teams to not have to visit the northern 'wastelands' as frequently.

It would just then boil down to getting ESPN to pay up. You would have to think adding a 4 time national championship program to an already loaded ACC would move the needle with ESPN enough to have them pony up some cash.

UConn IS NOT GETTING ADDED TO THE ACC. The conference has had 3 expansions since 2003, and hasn't selected UConn 1 time. 2003- they weren't a contender, 2011- Pitt was chosen over UConn, 2012- Louisville was chosen over UConn.

They aren't getting into the ACC unless ND agrees to join fulltime or another ACC team leaves. The B1G isn't adding them because they can't find a 16th team to go with them. Congrats to them winning another NC, but they will be in the AAC.

Alsacs said:
UConn IS NOT GETTING ADDED TO THE ACC. The conference has had 3 expansions since 2003, and hasn't selected UConn 1 time. 2003- they weren't a contender, 2011- Pitt was chosen over UConn, 2012- Louisville was chosen over UConn.

They aren't getting into the ACC unless ND agrees to join fulltime or another ACC team leaves. The B1G isn't adding them because they can't find a 16th team to go with them. Congrats to them winning another NC, but they will be in the AAC.

Pluses for UConn - a state of eyeballs and cable subscribers for an ACC network that will likely get on basic cable in the state.

Content - strong sports overall to create interesting programming for an ACC network.

Flagship state university. Glad Louisville is coming in, but UConn is a bigger brand and after losing Maryland it would be nice to bring in a school that allows the ACC to own a state.

Solidifies NYC because the B1G with RU, PSU, Michigan + UConn will have a bigger footprint than us on our own and UNC and Duke bandwagon fans can bring.

Minuses - bad regular season tv ratings. No football tradition. Declining attendance for basketball in spite of their success. Clemson and FSU will hate it.

Pluses might outweigh the negatives. Jesus, I just talked myself into wanting UConn in the ACC.

Pluses for UConn - a state of eyeballs and cable subscribers for an ACC network that will likely get on basic cable in the state.

Content - strong sports overall to create interesting programming for an ACC network.

Flagship state university. Glad Louisville is coming in, but UConn is a bigger brand and after losing Maryland it would be nice to bring in a school that allows the ACC to own a state.

Solidifies NYC because the B1G with RU, PSU, Michigan + UConn will have a bigger footprint than us on our own and UNC and Duke bandwagon fans can bring.

Minuses - bad regular season tv ratings. No football tradition. Declining attendance for basketball in spite of their success. Clemson and FSU will hate it.

Pluses might outweigh the negatives. Jesus, I just talked myself into wanting UConn in the ACC.
NKR it isn't happening.
Expansion has been all about the $$$.

B1G expansion has been Rutgers/Maryland who were added for cable boxes and $$$, Nebraska was added because of its top 10 FB brand.

ACC expansion has been in 2003 to get a FB conference championship game with Miami, BC, VPI, in 2011 it was to rectify a shortsighted ESPN TV contract signed in 2010. The ACC needed expansion to go from 14 million dollars per school to 20 million dollars per school, and Louisville was selected because their FB potential was better than UConn's FB potential.

SEC expansion was about getting into TX for recruiting, and $$$ from new TV markets for an SEC Network. Mizzou was chosen over WVU because they were a better brand and gave the SEC new TV markets in St. Louis and the rest of Missouri.

Big XII expansion was done after the conference lost Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri and they chose TCU to give the conference a TX replacement for A&M and WVU was chosen because they were willingly to help the Big XII keep their TV contract and get into the conference for 2011 when the conference needed their membership immediately. WVU was seen as a better FB brand than Louisville.

Pac-12 expansion was done to get the Pac-12 into new markets for a Pac-12 network.

UConn would be in the ACC if the Football schools FSU and Clemson didn't cash in political capital and get the ACC to add a better FB school than UConn. FSU and Clemson didn't want another BB first school and UConn will never be a FB school. SU/Pitt had WAY more history and national respect in FB than UConn. UConn won't even be the next AAC school to leave IMO. The Big XII will likely add 2 of Cincy, UCF, USF, BYU in the future. If BB mattered then UConn would be gone. You gotta tip your cap to their 4th title, but it isn't going to make a difference as the ACC won't add another member till Notre Dame commits fulltime or another team leaves after the GOR expires.

Regardless of the outcome of tonight's game, does UConn deserve an invite to the ACC.? I realize a lot more goes into an invitation than a basketball record, and coming off an NCAA suspension is cause for concern, but I feel that this tournament run by the Huskies is a nice boost to their resume. Although their football program has been headed in the wrong direction for the past seasons but, should they win tonight, UConn will be the only D1 team to boast 3 men's basketball NCs since the turn of the century and 4 back to '99. And, there's no doubt that their women's team is THE dominant force in the college ranks. Again, I know there are other factors to consider but with Maryland on the way out and L'ville on the way in, the league is still left at a clumsy 15. If I set my emotions aside, I would welcome a UConn invitation.

Thoughts?
Aren't they about to be skating on very thin ice again with serious possibility of more academic probation?

NKR it isn't happening.
Expansion has been all about the $$$.

B1G expansion has been Rutgers/Maryland who were added for cable boxes and $$$, Nebraska was added because of its top 10 FB brand.

ACC expansion has been in 2003 to get a FB conference championship game with Miami, BC, VPI, in 2011 it was to rectify a shortsighted ESPN TV contract signed in 2010. The ACC needed expansion to go from 14 million dollars per school to 20 million dollars per school, and Louisville was selected because their FB potential was better than UConn's FB potential.

SEC expansion was about getting into TX for recruiting, and $$$ from new TV markets for an SEC Network. Mizzou was chosen over WVU because they were a better brand and gave the SEC new TV markets in St. Louis and the rest of Missouri.

Big XII expansion was done after the conference lost Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri and they chose TCU to give the conference a TX replacement for A&M and WVU was chosen because they were willingly to help the Big XII keep their TV contract and get into the conference for 2011 when the conference needed their membership immediately. WVU was seen as a better FB brand than Louisville.

Pac-12 expansion was done to get the Pac-12 into new markets for a Pac-12 network.

UConn would be in the ACC if the Football schools FSU and Clemson didn't cash in political capital and get the ACC to add a better FB school than UConn. FSU and Clemson didn't want another BB first school and UConn will never be a FB school. SU/Pitt had WAY more history and national respect in FB than UConn. UConn won't even be the next AAC school to leave IMO. The Big XII will likely add 2 of Cincy, UCF, USF, BYU in the future. If BB mattered then UConn would be gone. You gotta tip your cap to their 4th title, but it isn't going to make a difference as the ACC won't add another member till Notre Dame commits fulltime or another team leaves after the GOR expires.

I'm done predicting their demise and think I'm going to go for the reversed jinx route.

I'm done predicting their demise and think I'm going to go for the reversed jinx route.
Their basketball demise will never happen to the degree people on here want to believe. I think they will need to and be able to schedule tough in the non-conference, but their program isn't going to die. They just won't have the wiggle room in mediocre seasons. Their football program is f'ed no doubt. They aren't the top FB brand in their own conference and the success they would need to achieve would be greater than season they had in the Big East for football.

Aren't they about to be skating on very thin ice again with serious possibility of more academic probation?

No. Our current players just reported a perfect score.

Their basketball demise will never happen to the degree people on here want to believe. I think they will need to and be able to schedule tough in the non-conference, but their program isn't going to die. They just won't have the wiggle room in mediocre seasons. Their football program is f'ed no doubt. They aren't the top FB brand in their own conference and the success they would need to achieve would be greater than season they had in the Big East for football.

BB is fine as long as Ollie is around. We can schedule anyone OOC - we'll be playing Duke in MSG - and after #4 it going to be a bigger deal having UCONN come to town, even for p5 schools. I think recruiting is going to take an uptick - you have to imagine some talented players will want to play for Ollie.

FB comes down to coaching. Nobody in the NE (except Penn St) is going to lock down multiple 5 star players. To have success, you have to coach up everyone and find some guys who can play at a 5 star level. QBing is a big part of it. When SU had McNabb, they could play with anyone. Same with BC & Ryan/Flutie. WVU could with White/Major Harris.

CR really hurts UCONN from a coaching perspective - if Diaco wins big, he is gone. But SU just lost a coach with more modest success.

If Diaco can coach, UCONN can be the top football program on the field over the next few years. I think he can coach.

Our vulnerability isn't really on the court or on the field. It being excluded from playing. When the p5 go to a benefits model, some people will be permanently shut out. I think another round of CR will occur at that time and UCONN will be fine.

You know you are in real trouble when a Conference picks Rutgers instead of you.

You know you are in real trouble when a Conference picks Rutgers instead of you.

I honestly didn't think about Rutgers last night. I did think about the ESPN poll that had UCONN as the #5 BB program behind UCLA, KY, Duke & UNC.

I honestly didn't think about Rutgers last night. I did think about the ESPN poll that had UCONN as the #5 BB program behind UCLA, KY, Duke & UNC.
No offense dude, but go enjoy your title with your fans. I said you weren't a troll 2 days ago, but this is a troll comment.

This behavior is why most can't stand UConn fans. They take obnoxious pills.

No offense dude, but go enjoy your title with your fans. I said you weren't a troll 2 days ago, but this is a troll comment.

You are right. My bad.

Thoughts?
No

Well that and $3.oo will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

The conference expansion results are in. UConn wasn't selected.

Ten more years in the AAC is almost a certainty ... but at least you'll have your memories.

Like Wake Forest, BC, Pitt and Duke?

Like SU, which switches the date of its opener so as not to compete with a country singer and the state fair?

That kind of support?
Well, to be fair (no pun intended), it is Villanova mind you, and it would be embarrassing to say the least that we end up with half a stadium for opening day. But isn't that what people wanted and have been crying about, start of with some warm up games instead?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom