hmmm... UConn deserve another look? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

hmmm... UConn deserve another look?

What's Wake Forest's "footprint"? Conferences should be about rivalries and strength of teams, not just "footprints".

The real problem is that with Louisville coming on board, we've already got 16 teams. I'd love to get rid of Notre Dame's "one foot in, the other out" program and replace it with UCONN, who would be a great rival for both BC and SU and brings 4 national titles to the ACC mix in basketball, (plus their 9 women's titles). We'd have 16 football schools, not 15.

There are only 14 full time members.

Well the ACC certainly can't add UConn or anyone else for that matter if they dilute the financial picture rather than add to it and carry their own share. I just see this loose end in the tri-state area with the ACC having a NY team and part of ND, the Big Ten with a NJ team, and then UConn hanging out there. Cincinnati doesn't do much for me. They will always be badly overshadowed by Ohio State. If it comes to that, I'd be more keen on revisiting West Virginia.
UConn was passed over by the B1G for Rutgers who has won ZERO in collegiate sports. If the B1G valued UConn over Rutgers they would have gotten NYC the same with UConn as they did with Rutgers. The UConn program would have had given the B1G a top 10 basketball program and mediocre football program instead of a horrible basketball program and mediocre football program in Rutgers. The B1G valued the cable boxes of NJ over the winning of UConn and CT cable boxes. NJ population is 8.8 million while CT population is 3.6 million. The B1G isn't going to add UConn even if they were AAU as they don't help B1G football and if they were number 15 then number 16 would have to come from the ACC or Big XII. If a team from those conferences became available its likely they would take 2 of them rather than 1 and UConn.

UConn's basketball program will remain elite, but their football program will die because they waited too long to get into Division 1 Football and the program isn't located in a prime football recruiting ground to stock their program like Rutgers has with NJHSFB

If Notre Dame joined then I would be okay with any of West Virginia, UConn, or Cincinnati as the 16th team. UConn is a good school, but their football program is why they are where they are its pretty much that.

Well the ACC certainly can't add UConn or anyone else for that matter if they dilute the financial picture rather than add to it and carry their own share. I just see this loose end in the tri-state area with the ACC having a NY team and part of ND, the Big Ten with a NJ team, and then UConn hanging out there. Cincinnati doesn't do much for me. They will always be badly overshadowed by Ohio State. If it comes to that, I'd be more keen on revisiting West Virginia.

I think West Virginia would jump at the chance too be in the ACC. They have lost all regional rivalries and play teams that have them within their states. They are the "fifth wheel" of the Big 12!

They would immediately have rivalries against Pitt and Syracuse.

UConn was passed over by the B1G for Rutgers who has won ZERO in collegiate sports. If the B1G valued UConn over Rutgers they would have gotten NYC the same with UConn as they did with Rutgers. The UConn program would have had given the B1G a top 10 basketball program and mediocre football program instead of a horrible basketball program and mediocre football program in Rutgers. The B1G valued the cable boxes of NJ over the winning o and CT cable boxes. NJ population is 8.8 million while CT population is 3.6 million. The B1G isn't going to add UConn even if they were AAU as they don't help B1G football and if they were number 15 then number 16 would have to come from the ACC or Big XII. If a team from those conferences became available its likely they would take 2 of them rather than 1 and UConn.

UConn's basketball program will remain elite, but their football program will die because they waited too long to get into Division 1 Football and the program isn't located in a prime football recruiting ground to stock their program like Rutgers has with NJHSFB

If Notre Dame joined then I would be okay with any of West Virginia, UConn, or Cincinnati as the 16th team. UConn is a good school, but their football program is why they are where they are its pretty much that.
I think it was more about NJ then it was CT or NY in my opinion.

The fun part comes now when the UConn fans start to realize their elite BBall programs still keep them on the outside looking in...for the forseeable future. They're kinda stuck right now- they need to hope Rutgers will do a Rutgers and implode in the B1G, so that maybe the B1G gives them a 2nd look. The ACC is waiting on ND, and I doubt that they'd want UConn as their partner- so the BigXII is likely their best bet moving forward.
If they had a more agreeable fanbase, I'd have more sympathy. But they don't, so the schadenfreude is strong w/ me.

The fun part comes now when the UConn fans start to realize their elite BBall programs still keep them on the outside looking in...for the forseeable future. They're kinda stuck right now- they need to hope Rutgers will do a Rutgers and implode in the B1G, so that maybe the B1G gives them a 2nd look. The ACC is waiting on ND, and I doubt that they'd want UConn as their partner- so the BigXII is likely their best bet moving forward.
If they had a more agreeable fanbase, I'd have more sympathy. But they don't, so the schadenfreude is strong w/ me.

I think you are overestimating how "terrible" it is being a UCONN fan right now :)

I think you are overestimating how "terrible" it is being a UCONN fan right now :)

It'll hit you when the AAC FB + BB schedule comes out for next year.

It'll hit you when the AAC FB + BB schedule comes out for next year.
Right now it doesn't matter. Maybe in 10 years if they decline, but how can it hurt being a UConn fan right now? They always get great NC games regardless. Their not looking for the role model in CBB, they are it at the moment, like it or not.

I think the B1G is printing so much cash they may choose to add UCONN for the basketball brand - a luxury item they can afford.

It instantly make the B1G the top womens bb conference.

It adds a men's program that has more NC's than the rest of the B1G since the field expanded to 64.

It opens a BB recruiting pipeline to NYC.

B1G fans are warming up to the idea. This latest NC has really changed the way people see UCONN.

I think the B1G is printing so much cash they may choose to add UCONN for the basketball brand - a luxury item they can afford.

It adds a men's program that has more NC's than the rest of the B1G since the field expanded to 64.

B1G fans are warming up to the idea. This latest NC has really changed the way people see UCONN.

Are you referring to B1G fans on couple message boards? The majority of Big Ten fans don't like the league adding Eastern teams like Rutgers and certainly don't want another Northeastern team that is an even worse football brand than RU. The B1G doesn't care about women's basketball. It's nice filler on the network but it doesn't even move the needle an inch as far as realignment is concerned. The Big Ten isn't just throwing around invites because they have $$. Taking a look at the UConn board today, it's beginning to look like a West Virginia board with all the delusions and nonsense being posted.

sdhusky said:
I think the B1G is printing so much cash they may choose to add UCONN for the basketball brand - a luxury item they can afford. It instantly make the B1G the top womens bb conference. It adds a men's program that has more NC's than the rest of the B1G since the field expanded to 64. It opens a BB recruiting pipeline to NYC. B1G fans are warming up to the idea. This latest NC has really changed the way people see UCONN.

They don't add teams for the fun of it, just to hand out money. If you don't increase the per team income, it's not worth it. And you still don't know what brand means.

If it was so great you'd be on your own board instead of taking up permanent residence here. I think there's a secret desire here to be a Cuse fan...just fishing for an invite.

Are you referring to B1G fans on couple message boards? The majority of Big Ten fans don't like the league adding Eastern teams like Rutgers and certainly don't want another Northeastern team that is an even worse football brand than RU. The B1G doesn't care about women's basketball. It's nice filler on the network but it doesn't even move the needle an inch as far as realignment is concerned. The Big Ten isn't just throwing around invites because they have $$. Taking a look at the UConn board today, it's beginning to look like a West Virginia board with all the delusions and nonsense being posted.

A few months ago, I definitely got the feeling the typical B1G fan could care less about UCONN.

However, I think the 4th National Championship has changed things. Maybe only temporarily?

Newspapers all over B1G country (from nebraska to MI to Toledo to NJ) have written articles about UCONN with many of them asking if the B1G made mistake choosing RU instead of UCONN.

I agree that women's BB doesn't move the dial financially but it does get viewers. UCONN women's most watched game had just a fraction below the number of viewers Duke vs. SU (2.8 vs a 2.9 rating).

CR isn't a cold mathematical financial analysis. Look at the cocktails and dinner that preceded TCU's invite to the B1G12. Father Leahy is still claiming the move to the ACC was academics.

UCONN does have hockey and elite BB programming for the BTN.

Conference expansion isn't about basketball. It's about markets and unfortunately CT is a small market. Rutgers can go 0-100 in hoops and football but NJ still has almost 3x more cable boxes/ TV households than CT. NY State has 6x more. Unless you can build an iconic brand in football with a national following, like Nebraska, it's probably not changing for UConn.

A few months ago, I definitely got the feeling the typical B1G fan could care less about UCONN.

However, I think the 4th National Championship has changed things. Maybe only temporarily?

Newspapers all over B1G country (from nebraska to MI to Toledo to NJ) have written articles about UCONN with many of them asking if the B1G made mistake choosing RU instead o .

I agree that women's BB doesn't move the dial financially but it does get viewers. UCONN women's most watched game had just a fraction below the number of viewers Duke vs. SU (2.8 vs a 2.9 rating).

CR isn't a cold mathematical financial analysis. Look at the cocktails and dinner that preceded TCU's invite to the B1G12. Father Leahy is still claiming the move to the ACC was academics.

The women's basketball TV rating was property of the NCAA not the AAC. Big difference from a regular season SU-Duke game which was part of the ACC's contract. There is some serious lack of understanding of conference realignment going on in the minds of your fanbase. Once September rolls around do you really think Wisconsin, Michigan or Ohio State fans/writers are going to be saying "If only we had added Uconn..." Definitely No. I understand the wet dream that UConn fans have over sticking it the ACC and rolling into the Big Ten but it is so far from reality that I almost feel a little bad for you guys. But not really.

I understand the wet dream that UConn fans have over sticking it the ACC and rolling into the Big Ten but it is so far from reality that I almost feel a little bad for you guys. But not really.

Kinda like when you felt bad about the "death" of UCONN basketball. Sweet :)

If Notre Dame comes in full time (not any time soon), then the team added to get to 16 is probably UConn on academics alone which still matters in the ACC even with Louisville's inclusion.

Newspapers all over B1G country (from nebraska to MI to Toledo to NJ) have written articles about UCONN with many of them asking if the B1G made mistake choosing RU instead o .

All due respect to your latest NC's, but the ground hasn't shifted as much as you'd like to think. RU is your barrier right now, regardless of what some B1G newspapers have to say. You don't have to tell us how much Rutgers sucks, but at least we have the luxury of leaving them in the rearview...they're the B1G's and your problem now.
Best case scenario right now, you figure at least a decade- maybe more, for MD & RU to get settled in, and perhaps after that UConn gets the call. ND will likely want another travelling partner if they go ACC so you're honestly looking at a BigXII invite to try & escape purgatory.
Meanwhile, your NC's can keep you warm...while we'll be chilling in conference & financial security. What position would you rather be in? :cool:

Last edited:
Kinda like when you felt bad about the "death" o basketball. Sweet :)
I never claimed the death of the UConn basketball, the return has been very impressive. I'm just saying that there isn't some huge battle going on between the B1g and ACC to grab UConn. Many UConn fans seem to believe they're going to get two invites and are going to be able to stick it to the ACC and run off to the B1g. It's a nice fantasy but the ACC is a much more realistic destination.

the return has been very impressive. I'm just saying that there isn't some huge battle going on between the B1g and ACC to grab UConn. Many UConn fans seem to believe they're going to get two invites and are going to be able to stick it to the ACC and run off to the B1g. It's a nice fantasy but the ACC is a much more realistic destination.

Well, as an institution, UConn is a better B1G fit. That is the direction of president etc. is heading.

I don't think we would ever say no to the ACC, but its clear we want to align/rival with Rutgers & Penn ST not BC & SU.

Well, whichever side wins more NC and gets to more FF.
Enjoy being like the next Gonzaga, Butler, etc...good & proud programs no doubt, but still a step below the P5.
Don't kid yourself, UConn needs to get into a P5 conference to remain viable, long term. Fyi- my nephew is a UConn alum & he certainly sees the writing on the wall, if the status quo remains the same.
Hug and kiss your accomplishments, you deserve them...but the big picture hasn't changed. Enjoy the AACk!

All due respect to your latest NC's, but the ground hasn't shifted as much as you'd like to think. RU is your barrier right now, regardless of what some B1G newspapers have to say. You don't have to tell us how much Rutgers sucks, but at least we have the luxury of leaving them in the rearview...they're the B1G's and your problem now.
Best case scenario right now, you figure at least a decade- maybe more, for MD & RU to get settled in, and perhaps after that UConn gets the call. ND will likely want another travelling partner if they go ACC so you're honestly looking at a BigXII invite to try & escape purgatory.
Meanwhile, your NC's can keep you warm...while we'll be chilling in conference & financial security. What position would you rather be in? :cool:

Actually for me, I would rather have the NC's than conference financial security.
I mean seriously, is this what we hang our hat on as a program now? "Financial security through conference afilliation"? That really sounds kinda lame. Give me wins and titles. Thats what I care about as a Syracuse fan. CR stuff bores me. The thought of winning NC's excites me. I wish we had Uconn's post season resume.

Actually for me, I would rather have the NC's than conference financial security.
I mean seriously, is this what we hang our hat on as a program now? "Financial security through conference afilliation"? That really sounds kinda lame. Give me wins and titles. Thats what I care about as a Syracuse fan. CR stuff bores me. The thought of winning NC's excites me. I wish we had Uconn's post season resume.
To each his own, but as a pragmatic, realistic fan of all-things SU, I want my grandkids to be able to cheer for SU athletics at the highest level. This isn't about a couple of NC's over a few years, the entire playing field has shifted. UConn, whether they like it or not, is on the outside looking in. Long-term, the P5 schools are in a superior position, REGARDLESS of how many NC's they win.
That's the reality of the situation and UConn, Cincy, UCF/USF...their fans know it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom