HOF Trivia | Syracusefan.com

HOF Trivia

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
With the election of John Smoltz to the HOF the Braves had several years with a starting rotation that boasted 3 eventual Hall of Famers - Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz.

Name another pitching staff that included 3 eventual HOFers, but didn't include any of the aforementioned Braves.

Some Native American guy named Day Of Rain was part of the trio.

Yup, i don't knbow why I didn't get them first.

Koufax/Drysdale/Sutton

I was surprised that Sutton was on the same staff with those two guys. It was Koufax's last season 1966.

Turn of the 20th century A's had Eddie Plank, Rube Waddell, and Chief Bender

Unit, Pettitte, Mussina (maybe one day :p)

If the question is just pitching staff as opposed to rotation, you'd only need one of Pettitte and Moose to make it, with Rivera in the pen.

mets came close for awhile

seaver and ryan

Matlack/koosman/tug mcgraw got some run with votes

I noticed the 1968 team had Bill Conner, who went on to nice career as a pitching coach, his 1954 LL team beat my dads team the week before they went to the LL world series and won it.. that team also had Jim Barbeiri who was the first to play in the LL and MLB world series along with Boog Powell. 4 mlb players in that 1954 world series. there have only been 12

he also went on to play for SU for a couple years. My dad said he seemed pretty good at the time, didnt know he was gonna be a MLB player though.

If the question is just pitching staff as opposed to rotation, you'd only need one of Pettitte and Moose to make it, with Rivera in the pen.

Yankees also have a rotation with Clemens, Mussina and Pettitte with Rivera in the bullpen that one day could be a pitching staff with 3 or 4 members in the Hall. Similar to the Unit, Pettitte and Moose rotation. Obviously the Unit is now in, but I think Rivera is a first or second ballot lock and I think Clemens is a shoe-in eventually, when history decides how it will treat the drug era. I also think Pettitte will eventually be in, just not sure how long it will take. 256 career wins 19 post season wins 4-1 record for 5 World Championship teams. When he was good, he was really good. He just wansn't quite consistent enough to be a high end candidate......as he also mixed in some clunkers.

Pettitte is very borderline to me, at best.
At this point, not sure when Roger makes it in. Of course he deserves to.

I think Pettitte will ultimately make it for a couple of reasons (i) reasonable albeit not gold standard qualifications (ii) 5 World Series Rings (iii) pitched for teams that went to three others including one with the Astros (iv) played in NY and (v) seems like a solid likable guy. It may be that it happens through the Veterans committee or whatever that process is referred to now, but I think eventually he'll get there.

I think Pettitte will ultimately make it for a couple of reasons (i) reasonable albeit not gold standard qualifications (ii) 5 World Series Rings (iii) pitched for teams that went to three others including one with the Astros (iv) played in NY and (v) seems like a solid likable guy. It may be that it happens through the Veterans committee or whatever that process is referred to now, but I think eventually he'll get there.
You do not think PEDs hurt his chances?

People like Pettitte so he's allowed to lie about using PEDs

No more than Clemens or anyone else from the era. I think eventually people will realize that we really have no idea whether anyone was clean and more or less have to look at everyone throughout that era has having been a user or everyone as having been a non-user. Ultimately, the fault is with MLB and the union for not developing/allowing strong enough rules and testing regimens to make the use of peds clearly off limits.

Everyone seems to assume that guys like Jeter and Griffey, Jr. weren't users, but how do you prove a negative, when we aren't even able to prove the positive with respect to most players (presumed users). Yes a few guys have admitted use, but what of all the others that have smartly chosen to keep their mouths shut or flat out lie.

People like Pettitte so he's allowed to lie about using PEDs
If the Hall elects guys like Pettitte and Piazza, they'd sure as hell better elect Bonds, Clemens, and McGwire.

No more than Clemens or anyone else from the era. I think eventually people will realize that we really have no idea whether anyone was clean and more or less have to look at everyone throughout that era has having been a user or everyone as having been a non-user. Ultimately, the fault is with MLB and the union for not developing/allowing strong enough rules and testing regimens to make the use of peds clearly off limits.
I have one person I'm about 99% confident in never taking PEDs: Ken Griffey Jr. Nothing would stun me more (from a baseball perspective) than learning he ever used.

If the Hall elects guys like Pettitte and Piazza, they'd sure as hell better elect Bonds, Clemens, and McGwire.

Pettitte is borderline even with the PEDs. The other 4 are so far beyond the standard of the HOF its ridiculous they aren't in. Though Mike should be fine next year.

Pettitte is borderline even with the PEDs. The other 4 are so far beyond the standard of the HOF its ridiculous they aren't in. Though Mike should be fine next year.
Oh I know - I meant more how completely hypocritical it would be to elect Piazza, let alone Pettitte, while still keeping Bonds and McGwire out.

Hell, look at the numbers Bonds put up even before his "steroid years"...when he was in Pittsburgh, he was still one of the best players in the world.

Oh I know - I meant more how completely hypocritical it would be to elect Piazza, let alone Pettitte, while still keeping Bonds and McGwire out.

Hell, look at the numbers Bonds put up even before his "steroid years"...when he was in Pittsburgh, he was still one of the best players in the world.

Ha, preaching to the choir. Bonds was the best player in the game in Pittsburgh. Should have won 4 MVP's in a row.

As for Pettitte; the writers have been really difficult on starting pitchers. (And yeah they just elected 5 but all of those guys are better candidates than Pettitte; Smoltz is the only one in the same ballpark) So I'm not sure he makes it in.

It hurts everyone else on the ballot that Bonds/Piazza/Clemens can't get in cause it's taking votes away from other people.

Ha, preaching to the choir. Bonds was the best player in the game in Pittsburgh. Should have won 4 MVP's in a row.

As for Pettitte; the writers have been really difficult on starting pitchers. (And yeah they just elected 5 but all of those guys are better candidates than Pettitte; Smoltz is the only one in the same ballpark) So I'm not sure he makes it in.

It hurts everyone else on the ballot that Bonds/Piazza/Clemens can't get in cause it's taking votes away from other people.
Yep, they should just elect those guys and get them out of the gridlock. I'm also of the belief that Pete Rose should be in the HOF, because what he did as a player makes him Hall worthy.

Here's the way I look at the Hall: can you tell the story of baseball without this player? When it comes to Rose, Bonds, Clemens, and McGwire, no, you absolutely cannot. Just because you choose to ignore issues doesn't make them go away.

jekelish said:
I have one person I'm about 99% confident in never taking PEDs: Ken Griffey Jr. Nothing would stun me more (from a baseball perspective) than learning he ever used.
How can you be so confident?