Hopkins recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins recruiting

SBU72

All Conference
With JB stating he'll only by at SU for 3 more years (at most) and Hopkins the designated next head coach and recruiting pretty much done for next season, when does the control of recruiting start leaning towards Hoppy? I mean the next targets are for the 17-18 incoming class, just one year away from him taking over. Does he get the chance to begin shaping his team now?

I think shaping and input have been there already but maybe starting to be more prevalent 2017 imo.

I think Hop has been the lead recruiter for a while now. JB is the closer

Spot on.

I don't think there will be any "transition" -- Hopkins has done the heavy lifting for a long time now. And externally, he is generally acknowledged as being one of the top AC's / recruiters in the country. It remains to be seen whether he has the chops to be a "great" head coach, but I have zero concerns about Hopkins as a recruiter.

Spot on.

I don't think there will be any "transition" -- Hopkins has done the heavy lifting for a long time now. And externally, he is generally acknowledged as being one of the top AC's / recruiters in the country. It remains to be seen whether he has the chops to be a "great" head coach, but I have zero concerns about Hopkins as a recruiter.

My only concern with coach Hop is he's too much a nice guy. Sometimes the coach has to be a little more like Bobby Knight and not so much a player's best friend. I like coach Hop and I hope for the best.

I was able to have a conversation with Hop once. Best half hour of my life. That man will be able to walk into anyone's house, and convince the whole family that syracuse is the place to be. Hell of a guy

My only concern with coach Hop is he's too much a nice guy. Sometimes the coach has to be a little more like Bobby Knight and not so much a player's best friend. I like coach Hop and I hope for the best.

Yeah the head coach, not the assistant coaches. He probably changes a little after some time of being HC.

I agree - and this will only be known once he is handed the reins. I have no doubts he can run the program. To me, the question is can he be (or can he get used to the role of being) the 'bad guy' when necessary. I have no concerns about anything else.

Yeah the head coach, not the assistant coaches. He probably changes a little after some time of being HC.

It's going to be really weird to see ultra-nice-guy HC whip out the dragon!

While Hop may be more of a "nice guy" than JB, he is no doubt smart enough to understand that his role will change once he takes over the program, and I am confident he will make the necessary adjustments.

I think Hop has been the lead recruiter for a while now. JB is the closer
I am aware that Hop has been the lead with JB closing but who chooses whom to recruit, that is the question. JB tends toward tall and lean on the wings and up front. Centers more lean and quick than wide and tall. Now I don't know if Hoppy thinks otherwise but if he did would JB be ok with building a team along the line Hop wants.

While Hop may be more of a "nice guy" than JB, he is no doubt smart enough to understand that his role will change once he takes over the program, and I am confident he will make the necessary adjustments.
Jerry being the good cop to his "bad"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom