Hopkins Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins Thoughts

WoodyUK

Lax Maven
What the Hopkins game usually brings is an opposition coaching staff that has a tendency to over Coach, once again this year with a talented squad they haven’t won the games they should have.

The Jays will be highly motivated this week and defensively they will be well Prepared for the likes of Trimbo and Durdevic. We have to have other players step up and out of the shadows! Dearth needs a break out and our second line needs to add some points.

Their defence is good and will keep the attack busy, the only way to really beat them is off ball as they are good one and one and cover each other with their team def.

Other ways to score for us will be in the sub, clearing game and via poles like Kennedy!

It will be nice to see Seebold and if like to see a few more faces in our second and third middie line! I hope Ty Bomberry is back.

Anyone heard anything on Fernandez?

I hope Ty Bomberry is back.

Anyone heard anything on Fernandez?

Bomber expected to play.

Fernandez had an MRI waiting to hear back results, but they are fearing its ACL.

Bomber expected to play.

Fernandez had an MRI waiting to hear back results, but they are fearing its ACL.

Like Conrad unfortunately I would be shocked if it wasn't an ACL, sucks, Kid was really coming into his own. Fascinating to see what we do for back up LSM with Helmer still out. Either Murphy gets bumped back from SSDM or they go to Barlow. Can't see them moving Kennedy at this point, he has been to good.

Like Conrad unfortunately I would be shocked if it wasn't an ACL, sucks, Kid was really coming into his own. Fascinating to see what we do for back up LSM with Helmer still out. Either Murphy gets bumped back from SSDM or they go to Barlow. Can't see them moving Kennedy at this point, he has been to good.

Kennedy already plays the wing on FO's, and he's not shy about running a fast break.

How else to you keep Mellen, Bomber, Cunningham, and Kennedy on the field at the same time?

Kennedy already plays the wing on FO's, and he's not shy about running a fast break.

How else to you keep Mellen, Bomber, Cunningham, and Kennedy on the field at the same time?

Exactly. Get your best on the field. Kennedy's game suits the LSM position well. With Helmer and Fernandez out, makes perfect sense. Dynamic players between the lines win games.

Not sure but I think Kennedy is to valuable at this point to move to a part time position as the back up LSM versus a full time at close defense. At this point I think you have to rotate Bomberry and Cunningham at the third spot and figure something out at LSM until Helmer gets back hopefully in a few weeks. Murphy is an LSM so I assume he will get the nod as the #2 or they could move Dipetro to LSM as he is now the 5th close defender at this time.

These injuries are nauseating. Kids recover in time given medical advancements but it still blows . Keeping my fingers crossed for both and hoping for the best news. Cuse has good depth on D and position switches are an option but having all players at full health and settled into positions is obviously desirable from all vantages.

I'd guess Kennedy to LSM.
I found something to agree on. Kennedy is a natural at LSM, fast, aggressive, athletic and good on the ground. Like to see him try this week.

Ah yes, Hopkins . Better to leave the deflections and need to assuage to a fragile UVA fanbase and for Cuse's focus to be on a solid JH squad .

Hopkins has talent, their roster reads like a list taken from IL's top twenty five rankings. They are coming off a strong 2nd half vs Princeton which they apparently dominated with physical play so they will likely come into the Dome with confidence and emotionally charged. Meanwhile, the controversy has somewhat distracted from a good team performance, hopefully has not lessened the uplift that a good road victory normally provides.

It's been a topsy turvy season for almost all top teams and this game has its trappings if Cuse not on its game.

Solomon's movement and passing will likely be missed. Assume Voight will start, he is a good player with great hands and has that lazer, hopefully the ball will find him in his spots. Hopkins has braun so not the easiest intro for a youngster but perhaps the considerable skills of Seebold are seen as well and the staff might surprise with a twist or two. Mids seems to be hitting stride as time jells and keys begin to surface.

On D, not sure who takes on Williams given his size but assume it would be Tyson B if he is back. Hopkins fogo and wing play will be another tough challenge, we fortunately have depth and several options. Not that keen on jockeying talent around because coordination suffers but might need to be done. Hoping for great news on both Fernandez and Conrad and a return to fold by Helmer and others .

Cuse may be slight favorites given home game but it will be highly competitive as always with JH.

According to this: Despite injuries, Syracuse thrives with next-man-up mentality

Sounds like Bomberry will be back and Helmer likely will not. LSM will be a problem as I doubt Fernandez will play even if its not the ACL. I think you have to slide Kennedy to LSM and Bomber back at close.

Not sure the staff is going to move Kennedy at this point, he is way more valuable playing the entire game at close then every other shift or every two shifts as the back up LSM. They should either give Murphy the long stick back or role with Barlow or another close guy like Dipetro as the back up LSM. Swigart is still on the roster - 6'4 200 something, can he be that bad? As for D matchups, Mellen will surely draw Stanwick and Fusco will take Tinney. Bomberry matches up size with Cole Williams but not sure he has the speed. I could see them putting Kennedy on Cole Williams and putting Bomberry/Cunningham on Marr who isn't much of a dodger at all. We will need to keep an eye on Desimone, hes been runnign some with the 1st mid line, he will definitely be poled if he stays on the second line when he comes in. Hopkins 6 on 6 offense outside of the Princeton game hasn't been good. Can't give them a lot of man up situations thats where they can kill you. There SSDM are their achilles heal. Don't be surprised if they try and double pole the midfield and short stick Bomberry.

cuse also got the Chaz and Schwas combo for wing play if hoppy wants to get jiggy with it.

I think Petro is likely to have bad memories of Bomberry's goal in OT last year. It may prevent Brendan from getting a shortie.

Not sure the staff is going to move Kennedy at this point, he is way more valuable playing the entire game at close then every other shift or every two shifts as the back up LSM. They should either give Murphy the long stick back or role with Barlow or another close guy like Dipetro as the back up LSM. Swigart is still on the roster - 6'4 200 something, can he be that bad? As for D matchups, Mellen will surely draw Stanwick and Fusco will take Tinney. Bomberry matches up size with Cole Williams but not sure he has the speed. I could see them putting Kennedy on Cole Williams and putting Bomberry/Cunningham on Marr who isn't much of a dodger at all. We will need to keep an eye on Desimone, hes been runnign some with the 1st mid line, he will definitely be poled if he stays on the second line when he comes in. Hopkins 6 on 6 offense outside of the Princeton game hasn't been good. Can't give them a lot of man up situations thats where they can kill you. There SSDM are their achilles heal. Don't be surprised if they try and double pole the midfield and short stick Bomberry.
If they double poled the midfield with Dordevic and Trimbo each seeing a pole, Bomberry getting the shortie, you think the staff would consider a dodging heavy attack of Rehfuss, Seebold, Curry?

If they double poled the midfield with Dordevic and Trimbo each seeing a pole, Bomberry getting the shortie, you think the staff would consider a dodging heavy attack of Rehfuss, Seebold, Curry?

I don't know about Seebold and Curry both on the field, thats a little to much youth. I think Dekso would definitely go to Seebold or Curry and tell them to start dodging. Voigt loves to shoot in tight so I could see him playing a big part in this game if we can force slides. Bomberry still seems a bit lost to me at attack. He was the most aggressive I have seen him this past game at attack as he actually looked to dodge a few time and got himself a great doorstep look in I think the third that he somehow missed. I know there is some question about Seebolds youth but I think you have to give him extended minutes and let him play through it and see what happens. Kid was an UA were not talking about a late recruit whose only other offer was Cortland or Hobart.

I got all excited about Kennedy at LSM and then I remembered with your help, Fusco plays there. He did not play badly against UVA, but against Army he seemed slow to react. So, let's leave Kennedy on the wing and watch Bomberry and Fusco closely. Kennedy could sub for either. Williams is a big dude who loves to force his way to the middle of the field and unload mostly with his left hand high. Bomberry might be a fit because he could barge his way through a screen. Stanwyck is a puzzle. His brothers improved over their careers until as seniors they were very dangerous x guys. He seems to disappear for periods and when he reappears he has trouble getting around single coverage. Still demands close coverage though. It's Tinney and Desimone who can score in different ways. Petro, for my money, overuses Tinney on d and exhausts him until he loses offensive effectiveness in the second halves of games. He does not have the stamina of a Conrad. I'd like to see Murphy on one of the two, probably Desimone. Marr is a pure shooter. Have to make him move off his spots or he'll score a ton.

On offense, Bomberry is a puzzle. I have not been paying enough attention. Maybe they try this all the time. How about a two man game with Rehfuss around the goal. It might be a way to free him without the need for him to dodge. As far as the third attack, count me clueless. Voigt seems to need that good passing, double drawing x. How about 4 middies and a thousand inverts. Curry, Dordevic, Dearth and Trimboli, with Rehfuss and Voight or Bomberry. Seebold maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom