Hopkins to St John's? | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins to St John's?

kidorange

2nd String
Per northjersey.com:

"St. John’s also has interest in Rhode Island coach Danny Hurley, Manhattan coach Steve Masiello and longtime Syracuse assistant coach Mike Hopkins, according to sources."

Let's hope he's not disgruntled from the recent lack of respect.

hop should jump on it if he has the chance. always interesting how syracuse is trolling the same coaching pool as USC and the bonnies and johnies.

Would be a good gig for Hop. However, it may be difficult for Hop to get any job in the next three years with JB's retirement looming. A school would always worry about him jumping ship back to SU.

The thing I find silly about this whole thing is that many here equate what "they" know the same as what Hopkins knows. There is SO MUCH told behind closed doors and not disclosed to the public for obvious reasons. Hopkins and SU will both be just fine.

Per northjersey.com:

"St. John’s also has interest in Rhode Island coach Danny Hurley, Manhattan coach Steve Masiello and longtime Syracuse assistant coach Mike Hopkins, according to sources."

Let's hope he's not disgruntled from the recent lack of respect.
"Lack of respect"? What

https://twitter.com/Coach_Hopkins/status/578642734610808832

Knock it off with trying to stir up trouble where there is none. It's bush league.

St. John's isn't a great gig. Yeah, they're in NYC and play at MSG, so it should be a nice job. But I just don't think it's worth jumping ship over. Lavin was much more of a proven coach than Hop is and he hardly did anything there. Hop is a great recruiter and the head coaching experience would be nice, but the risk-reward is a hard sell.

Of course, this is ignoring money considerations.

Knock it off with trying to stir up trouble where there is none. It's bush league.

Definitely not trying to start trouble. I'm as big of a Hopkins/ Cuse fan as you'll find and I don't know Hop's standing. Because of 1 tweet I'm supposed to assume everything is peachy? Of course he wants negative talk defused. He said he's comfortable, not head coach in waiting. I'm comfortable at my job and loyal too, but money and opportunity talk. If he was willing to take other gigs when he had the "in waiting" tag, why would he not now? That's not bush league, it's reality, or at least possibility.

St John's, IMO, could be a good opportunity for him. It's a stepping stone school that could be more. The BE isnt great any more, but you can still have a nationally relevant team. Lavin recruited pretty well there, just didn't get any results.

kidorange said:
Definitely not trying to start trouble. I'm as big of a Hopkins/ Cuse fan as you'll find and I don't know Hop's standing. Because of 1 tweet I'm supposed to assume everything is peachy? Of course he wants negative talk defused. He said he's comfortable, not head coach in waiting. I'm comfortable at my job and loyal too, but money and opportunity talk. If he was willing to take other gigs when he had the "in waiting" tag, why would he not now? That's not bush league, it's reality, or at least possibility. St John's, IMO, could be a good opportunity for him. It's a stepping stone school that could be more. The BE isnt great any more, but you can still have a nationally relevant team. Lavin recruited pretty well there, just didn't get any results.

He doesn't need a stepping stone. He's in line to get one of the best ten jobs in CBB.

St. John's isn't a great gig. Yeah, they're in NYC and play at MSG, so it should be a nice job. But I just don't think it's worth jumping ship over. Lavin was much more of a proven coach than Hop is and he hardly did anything there. Hop is a great recruiter and the head coaching experience would be nice, but the risk-reward is a hard sell.

Of course, this is ignoring money considerations.
NYC is a pro town. The Johnnies job will be a major uphill battle.

TheCusian said:
He doesn't need a stepping stone. He's in line to get one of the best ten jobs in CBB.
Nobody knows that for a fact; especially with a new AD coming.

Suttree said: Knock it off with trying to stir up trouble where there is none. It's bush league.

realorange said:
It's the chancellor's decision to make.
Do you think the search committee is telling AD candidates that they will have no say in hiring the next basketball coach? If that is the case (I find it hard to believe), that will severely limit the list of candidates.

Do you think the search committee is telling AD candidates that they will have no say in hiring the next basketball coach? If that is the case (I find it hard to believe), that will severely limit the list of candidates.
They may have a say, but the buck stops where?

realorange said:
They may have a say, but the buck stops where?
My statement stands; either it is not a fact or the AD choices are going to be limited.

Definitely not trying to start trouble. I'm as big of a Hopkins/ Cuse fan as you'll find and I don't know Hop's standing. Because of 1 tweet I'm supposed to assume everything is peachy? Of course he wants negative talk defused. He said he's comfortable, not head coach in waiting. I'm comfortable at my job and loyal too, but money and opportunity talk. If he was willing to take other gigs when he had the "in waiting" tag, why would he not now? That's not bush league, it's reality, or at least possibility.

St John's, IMO, could be a good opportunity for him. It's a stepping stone school that could be more. The BE isnt great any more, but you can still have a nationally relevant team. Lavin recruited pretty well there, just didn't get any results.
No doubt that Hop could, or even might, take another job--though I think that's even less likely now that we're on a one- to three-year timeline for JB riding off into the sunset. Not just because Hop knows the schedule, but because all those other schools know the schedule now, too, and could view him as a flight risk.

Thanks for not escalating. My beef with you was how you summarily assumed the "disrespect." And while one tweet isn't conclusive proof that all's well on the home front, it's an affirmative statement not to worry from the guy you said has been disrespected.

In 21st century NCAA tournament wins for teams from the state of New York.
Syracuse - 24
Siena- 3
Cornell-2
St. John's- 1

The St. John's job is nothing special but fool's gold they have stunk since 2001. I would hope Hopkins want a better job.

No doubt that Hop could, or even might, take another job--though I think that's even less likely now that we're on a one- to three-year timeline for JB riding off into the sunset. Not just because Hop knows the schedule, but because all those other schools know the schedule now, too, and could view him as a flight risk.

Thanks for not escalating. My beef with you was how you summarily assumed the "disrespect." And while one tweet isn't conclusive proof that all's well on the home front, it's an affirmative statement not to worry from the guy you said has been disrespected.
You're correct in saying I assumed disrespect. I'm probably a little annoyed he hasn't been shown more love publicly. Hope all things good are going on behind closed doors. The first order of businesses for the new AD should be to reaffirm Hop's HCIW title.

2 questions; Is it safe to assume that it is not written into his contract that he will be next HC (wouldn't that have been said by now)? What would the Chancellor not be able to say because of the appeal that pertains to Hop?