hopkins will need to chat with the old man | Syracusefan.com

hopkins will need to chat with the old man

orangehomer

All American
we don't have the players to play exclusive zone this year. it isn't there. I think this team can be decent on offense, maybe the wrinkle is switching defenses. maybe some of the wing players can guard a position higher, speed up the game a bit. we have the foundation of a zone team, but maybe there are ways to switch and steal a possession here and there.

we don't have the players to play exclusive zone this year. it isn't there. I think this team can be decent on offense, maybe the wrinkle is switching defenses. maybe some of the wing players can guard a position higher, speed up the game a bit. we have the foundation of a zone team, but maybe there are ways to switch and steal a possession here and there.
Son, you don't understand. There's not enough practice time to learn more than 1 defense.

AlaskaSU said:
To the contrary. The zone minimizes foul trouble.

Not true

Maybe for everyone but center, which is the problem

Not true

Maybe for everyone but center, which is the problem

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/offense_vs._defense_rebounding

Let’s take a look at the coaches that have had the most success with offensive rebounding. Among the 177 coaches with at least ten seasons of experience since 2002, here’s the top ten in average offensive rebounding percentage over that time:

1 Jim Calhoun 40.0%
2 Jamie Dixon 39.4%
3 Roy Williams 39.3%
4 Rick Barnes 38.3%
5 John Calipari 38.6%
6 Blaine Taylor 38.1%
7 Bob Huggins 37.7%
8 Jim Boeheim 37.3%
9 Mick Cronin 37.3%
10 Tubby Smith 37.1%

If I were an opposing coach, and Obokoh played man, I'd call high post, wait five minutes and watch him pick up the fouls.

I just don't see it. I've witnessed the zone speed up teams just as much as any halfcourt m2m has. I don't doubt Hop will run a little more m2m than Jim B has, but I don't think it will be this season.

We could always play a 3-1+1/2 with Lydon on Dajuans shoulders.
Or we can just do this with Roberson.

I hope you're not holding your breath...

I just don't see it. I've witnessed the zone speed up teams just as much as any halfcourt m2m has..

That's a flat out misleading statement. The zone is certainly far more effective when teams feel like they have to speed up -- namely, when SU has a sizable lead and the shot clock can't be milked. If the opponent has the lead, however, the zone will not speed up anything. In fact, it allows the opponent to dictate a slower pace if they want... which is probably the most frustrating thing to watch as an SU fan from a strategic standpoint. Until of course, panic sets in and JB instructs the guards up top to try to double team... which is about as effective as a McF-it bubble screen.

That's a flat out misleading statement. The zone is certainly far more effective when teams feel like they have to speed up -- namely, when SU has a sizable lead and the shot clock can't be milked. If the opponent has the lead, however, the zone will not speed up anything. In fact, it allows the opponent to dictate a slower pace if they want... which is probably the most frustrating thing to watch as an SU fan from a strategic standpoint. Until of course, panic sets in and JB instructs the guards up top to try to double team... which is about as effective as a McF-it bubble screen.

So, in all your years watching Syracuse basketball, you've never witnessed our guards come up a good 6 feet beyond the 3 point line to apply ball pressure and you've never seen our forwards trap much more aggressively when we're down late in the game? I must be living in an alternate universe because I could've sworn I've seen this a couple hundred times in my time as a fan.

So, in all your years watching Syracuse basketball, you've never witnessed our guards come up a good 6 feet beyond the 3 point line to apply ball pressure and you've never seen our forwards trap much more aggressively when we're down late in the game? I must be living in an alternate universe because I could've sworn I've seen this a couple hundred times in my time as a fan.

good post.
Sometimes the other team just outscores you no matter how aggressive/slow your defense is.
We press and trap instead of playing man to man. Think of man to man as a modified halfcourt press. It basically is. they teach five defenders between the ball and the rim alot, they just don't read the passing lanes as well, but operate more on ball denial and cutting down the number of passes, instead of forcing the ball to the perimeter like we do.

The biggest problem with our zone is a great on the ball defender up top at times for ball pressure alot of years we don't have one, and a solid defensive center to protect the rim. I think speeding it up is a myth. Good offense and quick shots that go in can speed up the offense then you just need a few defensive stops to go on runs. Its simple really just outscore the opponent by going on runs. A hard fought close game can be defensive with some uglyness. We lack a killer instinct alot and our lead gets cut when we take the air out of the ball alot(although we win) but that is as much on our offense as our defense. imo.

Last edited:
We should just have Shaf or Bullough come in and teach the Okie. What a change up and I'm sure we'd be the only school to play a 4-2-5 zone. Let's see Duke deal with that! ;)

I just don't see it. I've witnessed the zone speed up teams just as much as any halfcourt m2m has. I don't doubt Hop will run a little more m2m than Jim B has, but I don't think it will be this season.
So you think Hop will teach/play some man the games JB is suspended? Or is this a prediction for 3 years from now?

So you think Hop will teach/play some man the games JB is suspended? Or is this a prediction for 3 years from now?

Three years from now. I don't see him switching things up for 9 games in the middle of the season.

upload_2015-8-27_16-58-41.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom