How bout them Jags | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How bout them Jags

Even that first year with Paulus, almost bowl eligible 4-8 and two games that we absolutely gave away I think that was the pattern during his tenure lose games we should have won. Rutgees year two prime example

Year 3 against Rutgers I think you mean, that was beyond painful

Those people seem to forgot how horrible and embarrassing the Gerg years were. Doug wasn't a warm and fuzzy guy and that makes it easier for people to bash him I guess. The NFL came calling for about 2.5x the salary. I would say every single person who bashes him would have taken that job too
I didn't bash him for going to the NFL.

I bashed him for selling the dream job thing so hard and walking away.

I think that was the pattern during his tenure lose games we should have won.
I believe Marrone only lost two games in which Syracuse was favored. Off the top of my head, I believe they were UConn 2010 and Cincinnati 2011.

Oops, Edit: it was UConn 2010 and Rutgers 2011. Syracuse was not a significant favorite in either game.

Last edited:
Year 3 against Rutgers I think you mean, that was beyond painful

Oh god I pushed that into my brain where it could never be found again. That game was soul crushing. Left the Dome devastated.

Oh god I pushed that into my brain where it could never be found again. That game was soul crushing. Left the Dome devastated.
Soul Crushing was Dyshawn Davis' hit on the first drive that we scooped & scored.

Face crushing was the punch that Philip Thomas delivered to Ryan Nassib after the game.

That team was never right after that game, hence the nose dive.

Soul Crushing was Dyshawn Davis' hit on the first drive that we scooped & scored.

Face crushing was the punch that Philip Thomas delivered to Ryan Nassib after the game.

That team was never right after that game, hence the nose dive.

what PT hit Nassib? are you joking?

I may be confusing it with the S. Fla. game... But, regardless, it's not a huge storyline.

Essentially the offense was sputtering. At the time, a lot of fingers were being pointed at Nassib, everybody forgets how he was viewed prior to his very strong Sr. Year. He was putting up a couple consecutive clunkers after WV, if my memory's correct.

PT, apparently a hot head, gets into it with him after a particularly poor outing as the season was slipping away. I don't think much went on, at least I was told, other than he literally went after Nassib and punched him in the face. Nassib controlled himself, PT was pulled off and left for the NFL early at the end of the season, or was told to go. Pretty sure he was suspended for it as well. I don't believe it ever made its way public.

Accounts have differed, but I'm 99% certain that this is very close to what happened.

Last edited:
I may be confusing it with the S. Fla. game... But, regardless, it's not a huge storyline.

Essentially the offense was sputtering. At the time, a lot of fingers were being pointed at Nassib, everybody forgets how he was viewed prior to his very strong Sr. Year. He was putting up a couple consecutive clunkers after WV, if my memory's correct.

PT, apparently a hot head, gets into it with him after a particularly poor outing as the season was slipping away. I don't think much went on, at least I was told, other than he literally went after Nassib and punched him in the face. Nassib controlled himself, PT was pulled off and left for the NFL early at the end of the season, or was told to go. Pretty sure he was suspended for it as well. I don't believe it ever made its way public.

Accounts have differed, but I'm 99% certain that this is very close to what happened.

It was probably the USF game, the Rutgers choke job was before WVU. Whenever it was that is a crazy story!

Maybe it WAS his dream job and after 4 years of Gross, Cantor etc he realized it wasn't a dream job after all.
totally agree. we did not deliver the ipf or probably some other stuff as well. yea the nfl came calling that should have been a red flag to administration that maybe he is keeper, and act accordingly

totally agree. we did not deliver the ipf or probably some other stuff as well. yea the nfl came calling that should have been a red flag to administration that maybe he is keeper, and act accordingly

I get the impression that it wasn't what the admin was or wasn't delivering - but the admin themselves he couldn't get behind.

Same as Buffalo. He won't work for ppl he thinks he's a better leader than. That's a fine hill to die on - I'm just not sure his bloated ego will allow anyone to be better than him. That's the problem.

I get the impression that it wasn't what the admin was or wasn't delivering - but the admin themselves he couldn't get behind.

Same as Buffalo. He won't work for ppl he thinks he's a better leader than. That's a fine hill to die on - I'm just not sure his bloated ego will allow anyone to be better than him. That's the problem.
Both places should have listened to him and they wouldn't be the laughing stock of the country.

you r correct re the ego and i will add a surly disposition. nevertheless they did not deliver.

It was probably the USF game, the Rutgers choke job was before WVU. Whenever it was that is a crazy story!

Wasn't PT the guy with the broken jaw who's mouth was wired shut at one time? Karma...

He was a good football player, IMO, but thought he was a great player. Helped get Eskridge to campus if memory serves.

you r correct re the ego and i will add a surly disposition. nevertheless they did not deliver.

Yet. He wanted them to deliver before we got into the ACC and the $ started being steadier. Hence - it was more about them then his demands.

Maybe it WAS his dream job and after 4 years of Gross, Cantor etc he realized it wasn't a dream job after all.

What's always been funny to me is some fans wanted him out after 2011, and wanted him "on the hot seat" going into 2012. Then the guy has a good season and takes a better job, and they want to cry about how he "quit". Childish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom