Class of 2016 - How Dino Babers overhauled Syracuse football's 2016 recruiting class | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 How Dino Babers overhauled Syracuse football's 2016 recruiting class

God forbid he doesn't write like the S kout writer where everything is rainbows and sunshine.

That article was extremely fair and well written.
Yeah like I said in my other response to Finwad, I see that now. Next expect it to bad from that site. My apologies for expression my opinion after quickly reading the article and not given it a fair shot. Also F skout I don't read that stuff at all. So I don't know how they write.

"Of the 11 players who have left the commitment class since Babers has been hired, only one has since received multiple Power-5 offers: Louisiana quarterback Lindsey Scott. Others are committed to UConn (2), UMass (2), Tulane and Georgia State." --This about sums it up

Not entirely. I think it certainly speaks to the fact that other P5 schools weren't drooling over Cuse recruits but some of those kids would have had much better options had they not been committed to SU for months. It's not exactly a flattering referendum on Shafer's recruits but it's not entirely fair to say they 'couldn't' have landed P5 offers.

Thought it was fine. If anything, Brinson's dad comes out of this the worst of anyone.

And in all honesty, Bailey brings up a very valid point in that Babers needs to do what he needs to do to get the players he needs to be successful.

This is a cut throat business and unfortunately some things cannot be helped. Babers, for better or worse, owed only the truth to the commitments that were leftover from Shafer. And sometimes, as we all know, you can't handle the truth.

I don't blame him though -- the dude is hurt and frustrated. If you have kids and you feel someone is actively screwing over your kids, your responses aren't always measured and thoughtful. You have to have some empathy for the guy especially if he really liked Syracuse, which is a something we can all identify with.

Not entirely. I think it certainly speaks to the fact that other P5 schools weren't drooling over Cuse recruits but some of those kids would have had much better options had they not been committed to SU for months. It's not exactly a flattering referendum on Shafer's recruits but it's not entirely fair to say they 'couldn't' have landed P5 offers.
Seriously? The reason these guys had no other P5 offers is because they were committed to SU for months? It's an absolute indictment of the previous regime that other P5 programs have had almost no interest in their recruits. Maybe on the margins that statement might make some sense, but these guys were getting coached out back in December. If they were better players they would have better options-

These types of issues are common in the serfdom that is college football & basketball.
How many times have we seen a HC in cbb taking another job for more $$, after recruits have signed their LOI? In this case HCSS was replaced, but if he'd moved on to bigger and better, who would the likes of Mr. Brinson be po'd at then?
It's just part of the game, as it were.

Seriously? The reason these guys had no other P5 offers is because they were committed to SU for months? It's an absolute indictment of the previous regime that other P5 programs have had almost no interest in their recruits. Maybe on the margins that statement might make some sense, but these guys were getting coached out back in December. If they were better players they would have better options-
So what does it mean that the current staff is reaffirming offers to so many 2017s that were offered by the last staff? Perhaps it is best to wait and see how all of these kids produce on the field at the next level before we declare what kids are more talented..

So what does it mean that the current staff is reaffirming offers to so many 2017s that were offered by the last staff? Perhaps it is best to wait and see how all of these kids produce on the field at the next level before we declare what kids are more talented..
I'm not sure what 2017 offers have to do with the fact that the class of Shafer's 2016 recruits were not very sought after by other P5 schools. This was not, unfortunately, a one year phenomenon.

Watching the basketball game. At halftime they showed a quick graphic about ACC recruiting, and the announcer made a comment about how Dino has done a tremendous job bringing in recruits. The fact that he got a shoutout on national tv during a basketball game is good pub.

I'm not sure what 2017 offers have to do with the fact that the class of Shafer's 2016 recruits were not very sought after by other P5 schools. This was not, unfortunately, a one year phenomenon.
So, in fairness, Shafer's 2015 class produced Dungey, Fredericks, Clark, Strickland, Ealey, Sheppard, Conway. Kids who as true frosh showed something on the field. -- in several cases showed they were under-rated by the experts. Others in that class (Pickard, Adams & Henderson) should push to play early.
If Babers' 2016 group does as well, SU will be a very good shape going forward. And when he has a full cycle, Babers should do even better.
But at least give Shafer credit for that 2015 class that will help Babers in his progress.

So, in fairness, Shafer's 2015 class produced Dungey, Fredericks, Clark, Strickland, Ealey, Sheppard, Conway. Kids who as true frosh showed something on the field. -- in several cases showed they were under-rated by the experts. Others in that class (Pickard, Adams & Henderson) should push to play early.
If Babers' 2016 group does as well, SU will be a very good shape going forward. And when he has a full cycle, Babers should do even better.
But at least give Shafer credit for that 2015 class that will help Babers in his progress.
Way too little, way too late. If finding a handful of kids who can "show something" every year was enough to field a winning team Shafer would still be here. I'm amazed at how satisfied we are with mediocrity sometimes.

Babers signed/flipped guys without P5 offers also. Goes both ways my friend.

Way too little, way too late. If finding a handful of kids who can "show something" every year was enough to field a winning team Shafer would still be here. I'm amazed at how satisfied we are with mediocrity sometimes.
Well, "show something" (if you watched games) meant Shafer's 2015 class had true frosh who played early and had an impact. Best frosh RB in years -- only comparison is Deleone Carter, and Fredericks had a better frosh year. Best frosh QB in a decade. Only true frosh DT to play in the rotation since Bromley. Stickland is a star in the making.
Obviously Shafer was hurt by his 2013 class (the transition from Marrone), and defections from a highly rated 2014 class, but don't discount the value of his 2015 class. As I wrote above, it would be terrific if Babers' first class proves out as well.

Babers signed/flipped guys without P5 offers also. Goes both ways my friend.

So what? All I said was what was quoted in the article- outside of Scott no other Shafer recruit had multiple P5's. The same can not be said of Baber's class that he put together in about a month. Time will tell how this class pans out on the field but on paper Baber's has done in one month what Shafer couldn't pull together in three years.

Well, "show something" (if you watched games) meant Shafer's 2015 class had true frosh who played early and had an impact. Best frosh RB in years -- only comparison is Deleone Carter, and Fredericks had a better frosh year. Best frosh QB in a decade. Only true frosh DT to play in the rotation since Bromley. Stickland is a star in the making.
Obviously Shafer was hurt by his 2013 class (the transition from Marrone), and defections from a highly rated 2014 class, but don't discount the value of his 2015 class. As I wrote above, it would be terrific if Babers' first class proves out as well.
I get there are Shafer loyalists on the board, but you have to admit, it is strange how Shafer couldn't hold onto the class when he took over in spite of the fact he was already on staff but Babers came in and in less than a month pulled off a complete tear-down and upgraded the talent pretty much across the board. Shafer's 2014 class turned out to be rather suspect (too many academic risks, perhaps?) with all the defections (Shafer can only get 'em here, he can't make 'em stay!). But hey, he did manage to find a handful of players in 2015, so full credit to Shafer for that. I hope the guys you mentioned continue to develop but I also hope Babers continues the momentum he's already built up and improves on what is on paper at least, a big step up over prior years.

Dino took in today's basketball game.

I get there are Shafer loyalists on the board, but you have to admit, it is strange how Shafer couldn't hold onto the class when he took over in spite of the fact he was already on staff but Babers came in and in less than a month pulled off a complete tear-down and upgraded the talent pretty much across the board. Shafer's 2014 class turned out to be rather suspect (too many academic risks, perhaps?) with all the defections (Shafer can only get 'em here, he can't make 'em stay!). But hey, he did manage to find a handful of players in 2015, so full credit to Shafer for that. I hope the guys you mentioned continue to develop but I also hope Babers continues the momentum he's already built up and improves on what is on paper at least, a big step up over prior years.
I agree with a lot of your points, but still that 2015 class is better than you concede. Not just a handful, but a deep, strong class.

I am an SU fan first and foremost, though I liked Shafer personally. I am very high on Babers' potential to bring us to bowl games.
If you make that first-year contrast, consider that Marrone's decision came after the bowl game, and the preponderance of his staff followed him to the Bills. Big difference that Babers had his two OCs, his DC, his LB coach, and his DB coach on the road the instant he was announced. So, Babers had a full 2 months, with this staff -- not the same case at all -- and yes, he did a heck of a job.

I like this class, particularly on the defensive side (except for DT), and his OL recruits are an upgrade. He has more of reputation as an offensive coach, and maybe he will find a QB and a star WR in the next cycle.

So what? All I said was what was quoted in the article- outside of Scott no other Shafer recruit had multiple P5's. The same can not be said of Baber's class that he put together in about a month. Time will tell how this class pans out on the field but on paper Baber's has done in one month what Shafer couldn't pull together in three years.

All of the retained Shafer recruits had multiple P5 offers. Additionally, if Nelson decommits (likely) the 2015 class will likely be ranked higher "on paper" in the team rankings (Skowt) than the 2016 class.

Criticize Shafer all you like and build up Babers all you like but try doing it using some objectivity.

Shafer's 16 class was weak on depth for certain. Having no contract and a dismal year were part of the problem but the 15 class was as good as we've had in many years.

All of the retained Shafer recruits had multiple P5 offers. Additionally, if Nelson decommits (likely) the 2015 class will likely be ranked higher "on paper" in the team rankings (Skowt) than the 2016 class.

Criticize Shafer all you like and build up Babers all you like but try doing it using some objectivity.

Shafer's 16 class was weak on depth for certain. Having no contract and a dismal year were part of the problem but the 15 class was as good as we've had in many years.
There you go again. I never commented on the retained Shafer recruits but keep moving the argument instead of just admitting what is obvious- Shafer was not an adequate recruiter. "As good as we've had in many years" - given our dismal history this is not a very high hurdle to cross. One decent class in 3 is not good enough. We'll see how Babers does going forward but so far he is superior in the recruiting department-again not exactly a high bar.

I'm hoping we have less contributions from true freshmen this season, actually. Last year the staff was playing for the present. Some long term development can hopefully be expected of the new staff.

I agree with a lot of your points, but still that 2015 class is better than you concede. Not just a handful, but a deep, strong class.

I am an SU fan first and foremost, though I liked Shafer personally. I am very high on Babers' potential to bring us to bowl games.
If you make that first-year contrast, consider that Marrone's decision came after the bowl game, and the preponderance of his staff followed him to the Bills. Big difference that Babers had his two OCs, his DC, his LB coach, and his DB coach on the road the instant he was announced. So, Babers had a full 2 months, with this staff -- not the same case at all -- and yes, he did a heck of a job.

I like this class, particularly on the defensive side (except for DT), and his OL recruits are an upgrade. He has more of reputation as an offensive coach, and maybe he will find a QB and a star WR in the next cycle.
Yeah I know there are always mitigating circumstances when evaluating Shafer's recruiting ability. There are differences in timeframe when each coach got the job, but honestly at what point does the HC either get the job done or not? Shafer couldn't keep our key recruits in his transition year, Babers did. That's a contrast right there already. Many Shafer apologists act like we're the only school that recruits- nobody else found four or five guys who contributed on a poor team last year besides us. What difference does it make if Shafer does a fine job recruiting but 14 other schools in your league do a better job? When even Shafers' best classes are ranked either dead last or ahead of only Wake in the ACC, it's hard to say the guy did anything other than a poor job recruiting. Enough looking behind, Baber's first class in such a short turnaround is reason for optimism.

Shafer and everyone in the country knew that he was on the hot seat. I think that he made a smart move by offering early. As the season melt down began he couldnt upgrade. The early kids might have received better looks but at the end of the day if you are good there are plenty of schools that will find room.

I'm hoping we have less contributions from true freshmen this season, actually. Last year the staff was playing for the present. Some long term development can hopefully be expected of the new staff.

I understand that position. Unfortuately, coming off 9 wins in 2 years, I'm expecting that we will need to have several of the incoming kids make significant contributions in 2016. That scenario would also give us some indication of this staff's ability to judge talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom