How do we defend Diggs? | Syracusefan.com

How do we defend Diggs?

florange44

Scout Team
It seems to me that diggs is the guy that can hurt us badly. It also seems that we may not get to the QB early in the play based on our previous games. We'll get to him after a second or two, but he'll likely have time to get a quick pass away. So will we play Diggs tight off the line with some help over the top? What other options do we have?

In the past, we tend to play off a fast guy in hopes of keeping him in front of us but we give up lots of short passes and YAC. I'd rather not see that this week since that invites them to get the ball to Diggs.

Florange44

florange44 said:
It seems to me that diggs is the guy that can hurt us badly. It also seems that we may not get to the QB early in the play based on our previous games. We'll get to him after a second or two, but he'll likely have time to get a quick pass away. So will we play Diggs tight off the line with some help over the top? What other options do we have? In the past, we tend to play off a fast guy in hopes of keeping him in front of us but we give up lots of short passes and YAC. I'd rather not see that this week since that invites them to get the ball to Diggs. Florange44

It's hard to catch anything when your QB is on his back :).

This is where a true jam corner with over-the-top coverage would be perfect.

It seems to me that diggs is the guy that can hurt us badly. It also seems that we may not get to the QB early in the play based on our previous games. We'll get to him after a second or two, but he'll likely have time to get a quick pass away. So will we play Diggs tight off the line with some help over the top? What other options do we have?

In the past, we tend to play off a fast guy in hopes of keeping him in front of us but we give up lots of short passes and YAC. I'd rather not see that this week since that invites them to get the ball to Diggs.

Florange44

ifwt_taye-diggs.png

Put Diggs on Diggs.

you jam him hard with the nickleback and have the corner play off him about 8 -10 yards to start with.

I'm more worried about containing Brown than our secondary getting picked apart. If we let the QB run wild again we're sunk.

based on history, i don't think we will see a lot of press coverage on either of the Maryland's WRs.

i think we will see a lot of zone coverage and soft corners (7-9 yards off). the goal will be to try to keep everything in front of them, not get beat deep, and lots of blitz packages to make Brown throw early.

Diggs will likely put up huge numbers in terms of catches and yards. the hope will be to keep him out of the end zone.

Wayne Williams jams him at the line. Hey oh!
Is it illegal to knock a WR complete on his a$$ at the line-of-scrimmage? If not... I'm all for Wayne chucking him the entire first half.. Now that would be unique gameplanning. ;)

Eskridge will have to earn those all-ACC honors. I think Diggs will get a lot attention, but Browns scrambling and the #2 WR worry me

or pull the fire alarms at their hotel in the middle of the night...repeatedly

One of my fraternity brothers did something similar to this in 1992 when we played Miami at the dome. He got on the phone to the Sheraton (or whatever hotel it was) in the middle of the night and gave them a BS story about how there was a family emergency with the Torretta family and he had to talk to Gino right away. Eventually they passed him through to his room and he took the call and my friend told him how we were going to clean the dome carpet with his helmet, etc. Obviously he didn't QUITE keep him up late enough. After the game, when Gino was heading into the tunnel, my friend yelled down to him and put a pretend phone to his ear and gestured somehow that "that was me." I believe Gino laughed and pointed at the scoreboard or something to that effect.

I'd just go all Tonya Harding on his a&^ while they are lining up in the tunnel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom