How does Babers fix this jumping O-Line? | Syracusefan.com

How does Babers fix this jumping O-Line?

SmilinBob

Living Legend
I'm no football coach and I'm curious on how they fix this glitch the young line has had. I'm hoping this bye week will tighten up the line and they can fix this before they go to a very tough stadium to hear in Clemson. I'm proud of how well they have messed with all the injuries but this has to be reduced if they want to go to a bowl game.

It was one game, not a season-long issue. Could have been a misunderstanding of the cadence, or it could have been too much anticipation on the part of the line. I'm sure it will be addressed.

Actually it isn't a one game thing, it was just extremely exaggerated on Saturday.
I mean, every offensive line jumps early. It happens. But I don't seem to recall this being an issue before Saturday.

We've had a few before this game, nothing crazy. You also have to remember these refs where trigger happy. At least 4 of the "false starts" where the lineman getting into the set position. Yes we do need to still work on it, but these ACC refs did to get their collect of brains kicked into high gear to keep up with us.

For each time one of them jumps add an extra sprint for EVERYONE at the end of your Monday practice. Want to see a kid make the extra effort to not make mistakes, get his friends and teammates pissed at him. Works like a charm...

Another fixable issue is dungey asking for the ball before all the players are set. They need to get set sooner and he needs to check.
Not being set at the snap has been an issue in previous games, but I don't think it was against BC. I believe every call was a pre-snap penalty.

A few were very obvious i.e. when 63 or 65 moved early, but many of the others were difficult to see on TV. From the way HCDB responded in his post game presser, it appears he is confused about what happened also. He even mentioned he doesn't want to say too much because he might get fined. We may never know exactly what the issue(s) were.

Last edited:
I didn't understand some of these...in some cases they called us for False Start before the players were even set. Like some guys were standing around and they called us for procedure?

I don't profess to being an expert here but it seemed that at least a couple were due to jumpy referees

Not being set at the snap has been an issue in previous games, but I don't think it was against BC. I believe every call was a pre-snap penalty.

A few were very obvious i.e. when 63 or 65 moving early, but many of the others were difficult to see on TV. From the way HCDB responded in his post game presser, it appears he is confused about what happened also. He even mentioned he doesn't want to say too much because he might get fined. We may never know exactly what the issue(s) were.
If you watch the presser Babers does an eye roll type of deal and states something to the effect that it must have been happening if those penalties were called. I think our coach thought the ref was flag happy.

Sounds like before the next game...time to have a chat with the refs to explain what it is SU does and get agreement on what will be called a penalty and what won't.

as bad as the TV coverage was for some plays who knows what the problem was.. they had a scroll bar covering our WR half the time. several penalties happened before they even had a camera ready to see the plays. strange to see one on the center though before people even got in position to snap.

Someone in the game thread mentioned that BC's d-line were jumping the snap count. Quite possibly what was going on was that the BC d-line was offsides, but weren't getting called. Refs either didn't see, or turned a blind eye, to the offsides.

No question, a bunch of the illegal procedure calls were made before most of the players were in position.

The only thing I can think is that a player or two got into set position really early and then moved afterwards. This is not something that was a problem earlier in the season and I don't think the SU players did anything different Saturday.

It was the refs that were making calls crews were not making in the past...

It's been an issue, no doubt about it. It will get better as the OL gets more games under their belts. Remember, all 5 are first time starters.

However, something was odd in that BC game. I believe 3 or 4 false starts were called where no one moved. It was weird.

There was one false start called before any one of our linemen had even lined up properly that I couldn't believe was called. That one really stood out.

There was one false start called before any one of our linemen had even lined up properly that I couldn't believe was called. That one really stood out.

THIS.
I was like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? :bang:
How can you false start, if you haven't even remotely come close to being set, yet??!!! :noidea:

That was the one that Babers got a little more animated about, and said something to one of the refs.

That's one reason I think Dungey was so PO'd and threw the guy when he was out of bounds. I thought it was off sides real time but of course no replay. Thanks for that link Whitey.

you slow that down and its actually pretty close.. yes he jumped but since you can see the ball did he actually cross the line.. it would seem so. but 2 refs decided he didnt.

Here's an example:

Holy shnikes! I was in the car, not quite home yet when that happened. That's a terrible no-call. Makes me wonder what the line judge was looking at.

More penalties just means more yards for the offense :cool:

You make them run as punishment and hope it works, its all about being disciplined.

I'm no football coach and I'm curious on how they fix this glitch the young line has had. I'm hoping this bye week will tighten up the line and they can fix this before they go to a very tough stadium to hear in Clemson. I'm proud of how well they have messed with all the injuries but this has to be reduced if they want to go to a bowl game.
Honestly with a D-Line Coach who used to be our Head coach I wouldn't put Shenanigans out of the question, DL fake snap counts et-al. Coach P was by most accounts a pretty honorable guy but I'd be guessing he wanted that win pretty badly or his players wanted it for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom