How does losing scholarships work? | Syracusefan.com

How does losing scholarships work?

SBU72

All Conference
Just asking the question. If a school like SU loses 1 or 2 scholarships as a NCAA penalty, how does that work? I mean, SU has a full compliment of scholarships accounted for, for next year. (maybe even 1 or 2 over) How do they lose them. Renege on offers? With scholarships renewed yearly, do they tell certain players that they aren't getting theirs renewed? Isn't that sort of penalizing innocent people for a "crime" others commit? I know that all would probably be able to get scholarships elsewhere but couldn't the argument be made that the NCAA is hurting their ability to get an education?

Just asking the question. If a school like SU loses 1 or 2 scholarships as a NCAA penalty, how does that work? I mean, SU has a full compliment of scholarships accounted for, for next year. (maybe even 1 or 2 over) How do they lose them. Renege on offers? With scholarships renewed yearly, do they tell certain players that they aren't getting theirs renewed? Isn't that sort of penalizing innocent people for a "crime" others commit? I know that all would probably be able to get scholarships elsewhere but couldn't the argument be made that the NCAA is hurting their ability to get an education?

Inevitably almost all penalties for the NCAA come after the fact and after the players they involve have moved on. SO in general yes penalties generally hurt unrelated student athletes and not those actually tied to the infractions since they are already likely cashing NBA checks and doing commercials. Do you ever hear about Derrick Rose not taking the SAT when he is on TV? No.

Who's scholarship would they revoke if they got a big reduction? I suppose it would be a not yet signed recruit - but who would that be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom