How does the program and the season proceed? | Syracusefan.com

How does the program and the season proceed?

SBU72

All Conference
A Rochester radio talk show seemed pretty worried about SU and the upcoming NCAA meeting. Now lets suppose that SU gets a 1 year tourney ban. What impact would that have on the program and the season? Does it hurt recruiting? Does JB coach the team a little differently since the ultimate goal of a high/good seed in the tourney goes away and the # of wins is not as relevant as usual. Does he let the players play through mistakes to learn? Does he go with a longer bench to get experience with the underclassman? Or is it business as usual? The last time there were sanctions, he didn't seem to change but then he didn't have the quality of players on the team to perhaps warrant a loosening of the reigns any. Also recruiting was hurt. Does he still "play to win at all costs" or loosen up? What happens if the sanctions are more than 1 year? What happens to next years incoming players and the ones for the year or 2 after that?

We have been watching Boeheim long enough to know that no matter what the circumstances, he plays to win every single game at all costs. He has absolutely zero regard for anything except the game immediately in front of him. I think if there is a post season ban it would be for next year, so I don't think this will affect this year, but would no doubt flush a good number of the verbal commits we have for next season. There's nothing to do but just wait and see at this point.

We have been watching Boeheim long enough to know that no matter what the circumstances, he plays to win every single game at all costs. He has absolutely zero regard for anything except the game immediately in front of him. I think if there is a post season ban it would be for next year, so I don't think this will affect this year, but would no doubt flush a good number of the verbal commits we have for next season. There's nothing to do but just wait and see at this point.

You do know, Connecticut kept all their commits and players intact for the following season, when they were banned from postseason play (Except for one, who they were not to upset about losing) and they played like hell full of pride. And they came back on won the National Championship the next year.

I have been a lurker for awhile before coming on board, and you have been one of the most angst filled posters on this board and your not the only one in times like this.

Last edited:
You do know, Connecticut kept all their commits and players intact for the following season, when they were banned from postseason play (Except for one, who they were not to upset about losing) and they played like hell full of pride. And they came back on won the National Championship the next year.

I have been a lurker for awhile before coming on board, and you have been one of the most angst filled posters on this board and your not the only one in times like this.

I'm an angst filled poster? Ooookay. I'm simply giving my opinion. 4 and 5 star recruits who plan to play one or two years in college are unlikely to stay committed to a school which is banned from post season play for the year they will be there. Could they still come? Of course. Me pointing out the very possibility of them bailing if there is a ban is no more "angst ridden" than your claim is "clinically insane" that we will win the National Championship the year after a ban because UConn did.

I'm an angst filled poster? Ooookay. I'm simply giving my opinion. 4 and 5 star recruits who plan to play one or two years in college are unlikely to stay committed to a school which is banned from post season play for the year they will be there. Could they still come? Of course. Me pointing out the very possibility of them bailing if there is a ban is no more "angst ridden" than your claim is "clinically insane" that we will win the National Championship the year after a ban because UConn did.

First. I didn't say or proclaim if that would happen, Syracuse would win the NC the following year. Was pointing out an example of what did happen in such case.

I hate to break it to you, but those 4/5 star kids are most concerned with getting to the NBA how and when (If they play well, that won't stop the scouts from coming and their chance despite perhaps no postseason play for one year if such case)

Wrong. UConn lost Roscoe Smith and Alex Oriakhi. They were were able to transfer without sitting a year and they played right away. Napier was rumored to be thinking of leaving as. Boatshow too.

Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond left for the NBA (Lamb might have stayed).

4 star commit Omar Calhoun kept his commitment but we were rejected left and right and "only" got 3 star Philip Nolan in that class.

The next season with Calhoun retiring and Ollie on a short term contract, we were lucky that 3 star players Amida Brimah and Terrence Samuel play more like 4/5 star players.

It was dark days.

Wrong. UConn lost Roscoe Smith and Alex Oriakhi. They were were able to transfer without sitting a year and they played right away. Napier was rumored to be thinking of leaving as. Boatshow too.

Jeremy Lamb and Andre Drummond left for the NBA (Lamb might have stayed).

4 star commit Omar Calhoun kept his commitment but we were rejected left and right and "only" got 3 star Philip Nolan in that class.

The next season with Calhoun retiring and Ollie on a short term contract, we were lucky that 3 star players Amida Brimah and Terrence Samuel play more like 4/5 star players.

It was dark days.

I do recall, Drummond was a top 10 pick, and Lamb was a lottery pick.

And Napier and Boatright ended up did staying. And wasn't calhoun your only player committed during that class anyway.

And where you really that sad to see Smith and Oriakhi leave ?

Amid those dark days, the Sun did come out again.

And what are you doing anyway with so much time on this board. How bout you return to the junkyard and enjoy being reigning National Champions.

Last edited:
Uh, we didn't have the caliber of the players? We had Lawrence Moten on the banned team. I think he did pretty well in his playing time in the Big East.

So the question is what will happen if we have a one year ban? We will have a one year ban is what will happen, and our season will end in March and not in April. The world will not come to an end. If we lose one or two recruits we will reload. I think this has happened before to many teams. As an elite basketball program, we will survive. And it will be what it will be. No reason to lose sleep over this. We, the fans, have absolutely no control over this situation.

cto said:
A very wise man once taught me never to answer a question beginning with the word "if."

One of the best pieces of advice I ever received.

Did that wise man run the largest company in the world?

Did that wise man run the largest company in the world?
No, but he ran the largest bank in the USA -- and was on the board of the largest company in the world.

CTO has some great wisdom as usual, but with this being a message board and the offseason and the biggest topic at hand, I think the OP has some interesting questions. I don't claim to have the answers. I think Hulk gives a great example of the possibilities, even though understandably many posters are going to hate the example. It did, however, happen.

As to the talk show being concerned, news in general leans toward sensationalism and creating worry. For what it's worth, I'll go on record at this point and say I don't believe we see any ban unless the NCAA has something up its sleeve that we are unaware of(the friends with benefits thing).

CuseHulk said:
I do recall, Drummond was a top 10 pick, and Lamb was a lottery pick. And Napier and Boatright ended up did staying. And wasn't calhoun your only player committed during that class anyway. And where you really that sad to see Smith and Oriakhi leave ? Amid those dark days, the Sun did come out again. And what are you doing anyway with so much time on this board. How bout you return to the junkyard and enjoy being reigning National Champions.

No need to be rude to sd husky. I'm not a UConn fan either but he's pretty respectful and has interesting observations, especially about UConn

No need to be rude to sd husky. I'm not a UConn fan either but he's pretty respectful and has interesting observations, especially about UConn

Bravo. While we're at it, let's be fair and point out it's not just one poster doing it. I enjoy folks that bring a different viewpoint to the table...salt of the earth or something.

Reactions: cto
A very wise man once taught me never to answer a question beginning with the word "if."

Appreciate the wisdom but on review I don't see the word IF in the original post. Is it question about a possible future event, yes but I did not say if.

As angst filled posters go, you don't even crack the top 200 on this board.

Appreciate the wisdom but on review I don't see the word IF in the original post. Is it question about a possible future event, yes but I did not say if.
"Let's suppose" equals "if." In the context of your post, it has exactly the same meaning. :)

Sounds like total B.S.

"Let's suppose" equals "if." In the context of your post, it has exactly the same meaning. :)
But ANY discussion of future events requires questions about possibilities. The person who you quoted had to be able discuss approaches to future events to be as successful as you mentioned. Maintaining the status quo leads to failure in business.

If I've heard that same piece of advice once, haven't I heard it a thousand times?
Wait. Please...no one answer that.

Colonel, I think I am going to recommend you for a promotion. This board can use some humor with the sense of terror the NCAA instilling in us. The dose the government and media try to force feed us is too much as it is. It could drive a weaker person to drink.

Im so confused with that's going on here.. Why is their a meeting and could Syracuse really get a postseason ban? Wow, that would be beyond depressing

Im so confused with that's going on here.. Why is their a meeting and could Syracuse really get a postseason ban? Wow, that would be beyond depressing
Penn St was running a brothel, and in less than two years the NCAA dropped everything they had. All this doom and gloom isn't based on anything we have seen lately...honestly, when has any program/ school gotten railed by the NCAA lately? Baylor? I don't think we have any murders covered up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom