How I wish we'd use Lydon | Syracusefan.com

How I wish we'd use Lydon

SWC75

Bored Historian
I see Lydon playing the high post the way Wooden designed it. They used to call the center the "pivot" and you can see why here:

This is one of several parts. Keep in mind that Lydon could also score from there or drive around his man. If Coleman were in it would have to be a little different. He would have to stay down low. Part 3 seems to cover this situation.

Last edited:
Wooden forgot to explain that his offense works better when boosters have paid his players.

Please don't hijack my thread.

But since you brought it up, I'll again explain that:

- Sam Gilbert didn't become involved with the UCLA program until 1966-67, after Wododen had won two national titles and already recruited the Alcindor gang. And Gilbert didn't pay the players to come to UCLA. Instead, he introduced himself into their lives because he wanted to be their agent. He was not brought into the program by Wooden. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Gilbert_(businessman)

- UCLA is not the only program in history to have boosters or to have those boosters do things the NCAA doesn't like.

- His record in the Final Four, (excluding consolation games) was 20-2. The teams they were facing were not lacking in talent. Consequently we can assume that his strategies worked pretty well.

Now let's go back to what the thread is about. Thank you.

I'd like to see more pick and pop w/ Lydon and G. If teams double G, they would be leaving Lydon open for 3. If teams switch, G should be able to drive past the defender. It also leaves Cooney/Richardson to look for open shots from the wing/corner, with Roberson or Coleman on the weak side to be available if their defender leaves to help on G's drives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom