How important is the Minnesota game? | Syracusefan.com

How important is the Minnesota game?

MikeSU02

Living Legend
Before the year started, I thought the NW game was a must-win for us. I thought that if we lost that game (did happen) and then got blown out against USC (did not happen), we would be playing in front of a sparse crowd against SB (did happen) and that the rest of the year would be an uphill battle; looking at something like a 4 win season.

I don't feel that way anymore. Hindsight is obviously 20/20.

However, how important is the Minnesota game? For our fanbase's psyche, it seems like a must win. For me personally, to have faith in our ability to get to a bowl, it is a must-win.

But it doesn't impact our BE standings and I guess our high-end goal should be to win the conference.

I can't help but feel that if we lose this game, it will be the start of an unraveling of the team. Maybe that is a bit doom and gloom, but that is what it feels like will happen if we lose.

If we lose the team won't unravel but it really hurts our bowl chances ... its a close to a must win as you can get this early in the season. The B1G appears to be weak this year and I think NW is better than some thought ... I felt to start the season we needed to win either Minny or NW since I saw the SB game as a W and the USC and Mizzou games as an L ... the BE games being a complete toss up sans possibly LVille. Mizzou isn't looking all that spectacular and we can beat them if we bring our A game ... however we needed to win one of these B1G games to help our bowl chances and help bolster team esteem ... I think we beat Minny by 4 or so ... it won't be easy since I think the team has brain cramps that hurt them more than our opponents play ... we allow them to stay close enough to give us a scare but I think the Cuse gets this "must" win ...

In reality, you are correct - this game doesn't impact the BE standings, which could get us to a BCS bowl. However, for all the threads about coaching hot seats, attendance, marketing, etc, this program is at the point where the ONLY thing that matters is winning. Win pretty, win ugly, win big, cheat to win, get the other guys to forfeit, whatever...

For me, every game is a must-win because we have the talent to be in every game from this point out and even a heartbreaking loss in tripple OT where we play are hearts out, as this point in the program's history, is just another L.

images

I'm not sure I'd call it a must-win in the sense that I suppose you could lose it but still win the big east or win a bunch of BE games and the Mizzou game, etc. The way I view it is more as an important game (obviously every win helps) and a terrific opportunity.

What I think we're still waiting for is a team that can put four quarters together on a fairly regular basis. Obviously that doesn't happen all the time, but you'd like to get as close to that as possible. So when I look at Minny, I think it's a great opportunity to go out, play solid football in all phases (or at least not atrocious on specials) and maybe even win a game against a BCS foe by a couple of scores. I think that would make a significant statement for this team going forward.

Until we are beating BCS team regularly and winning 8 games a year, every winnable game is huge because it could be the difference between going to a bowl and staying home. Games like USC are not important but they are bigger opportunities if you do win.

It's one of 9 games left for a team that needs to win 5-6 more games to keep moving in the right direction. We can win or lose any of the games we have left on the schedule... Obvioulsy winning gets you one step closer... two evenly matched teams at this point

A win against Minny leaves a bigger margin for error to make a bowl game.

A loss means SU can only lose a maximum of 3 more times with roadies looming at Rutgers, Mizzou, and Cincy, plus a home date with Louisville.

A win leaves a little breathing room.

It is huge for bowl eligibility. I get that we could run the table [or close] in the BE, but we need wins in order to ensure ourselves a postseason berth.

Before the season, I thought that 8-4 was very possible. That included a win over NW. 7-5 is still very much attainable, but we need to win against a team like Minnesota. Have to win all the winnable games.

I'd hate to head into the last game or two of the schedule with 5 wins and a postseason berth in the balance like last year.

So in short, I think this game is HUGE. Win, and we've come out of the OOC portion of the schedule in reasonably solid shape. Lose, and we're 1-3, with a lot of pressure on the players / coaches the rest of the way.

This is a huge game. 2-2 heading into BE schedule is crucial. The fans know it, the coaches know it, and above all else, hopefully the players know it. 1-3 vs. 2-2 is a big difference, especially when all of our BE games are winnable.

We have to go .500 in our remaining games to become bowl eligible. That's not a lot of room for error.

Before the year started, I thought the NW game was a must-win for us. I thought that if we lost that game (did happen) and then got blown out against USC (did not happen), we would be playing in front of a sparse crowd against SB (did happen) and that the rest of the year would be an uphill battle; looking at something like a 4 win season.

I don't feel that way anymore. Hindsight is obviously 20/20.

However, how important is the Minnesota game? For our fanbase's psyche, it seems like a must win. For me personally, to have faith in our ability to get to a bowl, it is a must-win.

But it doesn't impact our BE standings and I guess our high-end goal should be to win the conference.

I can't help but feel that if we lose this game, it will be the start of an unraveling of the team. Maybe that is a bit doom and gloom, but that is what it feels like will happen if we lose.

I called for a split of the Big 10 games, and truthfully, I thought we were going to lose to Northwestern and beat Minnesota on the road. Now let's see them do it.

I'm not sure I'd call it a must-win in the sense that I suppose you could lose it but still win the big east or win a bunch of BE games and the Mizzou game, etc. The way I view it is more as an important game (obviously every win helps) and a terrific opportunity.

What I think we're still waiting for is a team that can put four quarters together on a fairly regular basis. Obviously that doesn't happen all the time, but you'd like to get as close to that as possible. So when I look at Minny, I think it's a great opportunity to go out, play solid football in all phases (or at least not atrocious on specials) and maybe even win a game against a BCS foe by a couple of scores. I think that would make a significant statement for this team going forward.

Opportunity is absolutely the right word. We have been in Operation: Blown Opportunities for a while now. We blew it by losing the last 5 after turning heads by thumping WVU, and having a lot of national media declare us "back". We blew it by losing to N'Western, when a win would have spawned a great narrative about our amazing comeback.

Saturday night is another opportunity, one to declare that we're a program that's rising, one to set us up to make a run through the Big East and come out of the regular season with a very marketable record.

Really gotta take advantage of it.

As Blaze stated, 2-2 going into a bye week before Pitt would be huge vs 1-3 and 2 weeks to stew over another loss in a winnable game.

This team needs to learn how to win for 4 quarters and @ Minn looks like a great place to start.

Very

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If we lose to Minnesota, it's hard to imagine us winning at Mizzou (yes, it could happen, but how good would you feel?).

If we end up 1-4 in OOC play, then we need to be 5-2 in Big East play, with a 3 home game/4 away game split.

We haven't won 5 Big East games in a season since Dwight Freeney was here.

So yeah, I'd say this game is pretty important. Not getting to a bowl game this year would be very deflating, could hurt us on the recruiting trail.

What is probably equally as important, is that SU comes out against PITT, regardless of the outcome in Minnesota, firing on all cylinders. No reason to not win that game with 2 weeks prep, injuries healed, and some of our injured guys back on the field (or seeing their first action of the season).

If we lose I think we're unlikely to make s bowl.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This is a big game for us.

1. We need to get back to even on the season to start BE play without a feeling of desperation.
  2. Minnesota is a team we can beat and we need to win the games we should and a few we shouldn't.
  3. We need to make a statement that we are a good fb program as we start our final BE season. The players need it, the coaches need it, the school needs it, and the fans need it. The time for SU to be a national bottom dweller needs to be over. If not now, then when?
  4. This is the best offense we've had in many years. If we can't win with this offense, the future is indeed bleak.

Need to get a split in these B1G games to have any chance of a bowl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom