How in the world are we going to score this yr? | Syracusefan.com

How in the world are we going to score this yr?

Cuse_NYC

Starter
Being realistic, not negative... We better really get out and go. Other than when Cooney is hot, scoring in the halfcourt looks to be a major issue. Hopefully ROC can provide some inside scoring that he sometimes showed he is capable of. Not sure if MGB and TC are good enough with the ball to push without KJ in there.

Being realistic, not negative... We better really get out and go. Other than when Cooney is hot, scoring in the halfcourt looks to be a major issue. Hopefully ROC can provide some inside scoring that he sometimes showed he is capable of. Not sure if MGB and TC are good enough with the ball to push without KJ in there.

It's a question--no doubt. Largely because we have no idea what Joseph, Gbinije, Roberson, McCullough, Patterson, and BJ are capable of offensively. You can also throw Rak in that discussion as well, even though he's a returning starter / senior.

I honestly think that the team might end up being better offensively than last year's squad--primarily due to being able to field more shooters, more athleticism in transition, etc. But you hit the nail on the head--lots of question marks.

It's a question--no doubt. Largely because we have no idea what Joseph, Gbinije, Roberson, McCullough, Patterson, and BJ are capable of offensively. You can also throw Rak in that discussion as well, even though he's a returning starter / senior.

I honestly think that the team might end up being better offensively than last year's squad--primarily due to being able to field more shooters, more athleticism in transition, etc. But you hit the nail on the head--lots of question marks.

THAT and the fact that hopefully we will actually have a transition game this season.

If we know one thing for sure: it'll be fine. There are no Billy Celucks on this roster. The team may or may not reach the #1 ranking again this year, but they will be fine.

I think we are going to have a very balanced scoring attack much like Virginia last season. I could see up to 6 guys giving us at least 10+ a game. Then toss in any extra contributions from the rest of the team and I think we could be in the upper 70s.

I think we are going to have a very balanced scoring attack much like Virginia last season. I could see up to 6 guys giving us at least 10+ a game. Then toss in any extra contributions from the rest of the team and I think we could be in the upper 70s.

I tend to agree. The candidates who I could see approaching / exceeding double figures are: Cooney, Joseph, Roberson, McCullough, and BJ [as the designated 6th man super sub / scorer]. Gbinije and Rak could also get there, as well, depending on how things unfold.

One basket at a time. We will find a way. We always do. I bet this years team score better than last years when all is said and done.

I'm willing to bet that this year's team will both score better than last year's team, but also shoot the ball better collectively.

I'm willing to bet that this year's team will both score better than last year's team, but also shoot the ball better collectively.

Gosh I hope so. I love watching Syracuse basketball but that was a bit tough to watch at times last year. I agree with you and SWFL above. I could definitely see a spreading of the scoring this year. It could be similar to 2011-12 when Kris J led us in scoring with only 13.4 per game. Dion was the only other one who averaged double figures but Fab, Triche, CJ and Triche were between 8-10 ppg.

I'm optimistic we'll score better this year. It's less likely JB has anyone tabbed as a go to guy, so hopefully he'll be more creative with offensive sets than he has been the last couple years. Maybe I'm taking it for granted, but we've always had guys that hadn't done anything before step up and take on larger rolls. I think this year that'll be TR. It also often seems like whenever a freshman is forced to take on a big role he/they do well too. Hopefully, CM and Kaleb Joseph can continue that trend. I feel like this could be one of those teams that looks much better at the end of the year than they do at the beginning of the year.

I'm optimistic we'll score better this year. It's less likely JB has anyone tabbed as a go to guy, so hopefully he'll be more creative with offensive sets than he has been the last couple years. Maybe I'm taking it for granted, but we've always had guys that hadn't done anything before step up and take on larger rolls. I think this year that'll be TR. It also often seems like whenever a freshman is forced to take on a big role he/they do well too. Hopefully, CM and Kaleb Joseph can continue that trend. I feel like this could be one of those teams that looks much better at the end of the year than they do at the beginning of the year.

Plus, I think BJ is a prime candidate to provide that big time scorer off the bench that we've enjoyed in recent years, with the notable exception of last year. We have guys capable of playing multiple positions, so a player like BJ could come in for either forward and play along either forward. I expect with his offensive versatility, BJ is going to bring a much needed infusion of scoring / shooting off the bench this year, while garnering a ton of PT.

Plus, I think BJ is a prime candidate to provide that big time scorer off the bench that we've enjoyed in recent years, with the notable exception of last year. We have guys capable of playing multiple positions, so a player like BJ could come in for either forward and play along either forward. I expect with his offensive versatility, BJ is going to bring a much needed infusion of scoring / shooting off the bench this year, while garnering a ton of PT.
I've seen a lot of people on here talk about how the freshman that didn't play last year could be pretty big this year. Hopefully that's the case. Living outside the area, TR is the only guy I got to see at all, so he's the only one I commented on. If we can get Cooney some shooting help from BJ or Patterson I think this could be a fun team to watch.

I think a huge factor in our potential offensive efficiency will be Kaleb's ability to penetrate, draw attention and dish. He knows how to set up teammates and if he has an opening, he will flush it himself--and with authority. The drive and dish out to Cooney will be there. Can Trevor knock down the shots consistently? Can someone else (BJ or Buss?) help us from outside? This team will be fun to watch because of Kaleb. The team last year wasn't all that fun to watch, to be honest.

I'm just excited to watch them play. Season can't start soon enough for me. Like already said, someone always steps up. Many question marks, even more uncertainty than last year and that's ok. Sit back and watch the young guys develop. We will make the tourney. We will win a bunch of games. We will have a shot at the whole thing. Just up to the team be hungry, take what is theirs.

Chip.
Chip chip chip!
:)

Obviously, I will be shocked if we win the whole thing. But I still believe.

I think a huge factor in our potential offensive efficiency will be Kaleb's ability to penetrate, draw attention and dish. He knows how to set up teammates and if he has an opening, he will flush it himself--and with authority. The drive and dish out to Cooney will be there. Can Trevor knock down the shots consistently? Can someone else (BJ or Buss?) help us from outside? This team will be fun to watch because of Kaleb. The team last year wasn't all that fun to watch, to be honest.
I feel better about Cooney hitting shots if he isn't constantly having to sprint for 35+ minutes coming off picks pulling the trigger barely before he gets his feet set. If we can get some defenses to collapse a little with KJ's driving and TR and/or CM giving us some post scoring, hopefully Cooney can slide to some open spots more often and just wait for a kick out.

we need a few things to fall into place, thats for sure. If we can get 2 of these 4 things to happen, i think we are gravy.

1) Roberson develops a consistent mid-range jump shot 2) BJ be the spark off the bench and step up this year. 3) Joseph making typical freshman mistakes, but showing flashes of offensive brilliance. 4) Cooney learning the pump fake and/or drive to the basket.

One thing that I'm not holding my breath on is offensive contribution from any of our centers.

Rak 6-10 pts
Cooney 8-10 pts
Roberson 8-10 pts
Chris Mac 12-14 pts
Kaleb 10-12 pots
G 8-10 pts
Obokoh 4-6 pts

Average 60 to 8o points per game.

The point production looks close with the exception of Cooney who should be closer to 14-16.

I agree. I think those predictions were pretty good except I'll be concerned if Cooney is between 8-10 ppg

tee1222: 1112433 said:
Chip.
Chip chip chip!
:)

Obviously, I will be shocked if we win the whole thing. But I still believe.

Believe Broheim thats what its all about. Count this as #3 and i've been drinking so ypu know its serious!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom