How in the world are we going to score this yr? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How in the world are we going to score this yr?

we need a few things to fall into place, thats for sure. If we can get 2 of these 4 things to happen, i think we are gravy.

1) Roberson develops a consistent mid-range jump shot 2) BJ be the spark off the bench and step up this year. 3) Joseph making typical freshman mistakes, but showing flashes of offensive brilliance. 4) Cooney learning the pump fake and/or drive to the basket.

One thing that I'm not holding my breath on is offensive contribution from any of our centers.
I have nothing to add except that I don't think that 6 rebounds/ game out of Rak is too much to wish for. Great post and post more often.

They score by grabbing offensive rebounds or pounding it inside. Now I don't know if they have that ability but I know raining three's consistently is not one.

I read Boeheim said they were going to run more which sounds good. Better get defensive rebounds.

The Beast will be unleashed.
funny-monkey-facesweird-animals-face-weird-hut-qbgc2fuw.jpg

So basically, somewhere between the worst offene in the country and the best. i buy it.

I don't think we will have a go-to scorer. I think this year everyone is going to contribute. I hope the team gels well and the players actually play for each other. It will be great to have a team that scores in lots of ways so it's not easy to prepare for on defense. I think the idea of having a go-to scorer is overrated.

I don't think we will have a go-to scorer. I think this year everyone is going to contribute. I hope the team gels well and the players actually play for each other. It will be great to have a team that scores in lots of ways so it's not easy to prepare for on defense. I think the idea of having a go-to scorer is overrated.
So what you're saying is that we have to go through the entire season listening to announcers saying that the team is good...but they'd be a lot better if they had a go-to scorer.

I don't know how they could be worse offensively than the last month+ of last season.

Some combination of Roberson/ BJ/McC will be 10X whatever Fair and Grant were doing with the ball ... plus there's Gbinije and Cooney that could turn out to be a surprising 30 ppg duo if they both ever get comfortable.

Cooney averaged 12 last year. Expecting a few more should not be unexpected.

I hope so. I have this theory about Cooney. With all the running around he did last year just to get open he would probably score MORE points with less playing time. This is because his legs would be fresher when he's buzzing around trying to get a clean open look.

I'm willing to bet that this year's team will both score better than last year's team, but also shoot the ball better collectively.

That's a very optimistic prediction!

We were 37th in offensive efficiency last year, which was our worst mark since 2008. (So since before we got really good). Also, side note, in 2008, we averaged 71.6 possessions per game. Last year was down to 61. So we lost 10 possessions per game in 6 years; crazy.

Anyway, the big culprit was shooting. We were 229th in effective field goal %. That is, in a word, horrible. The year prior was one of our worst shooting teams, and we were 141st. It's almost impossible for a team as good as we were to shoot that poorly.

flipside to that is we were really good at taking care of the ball, 14th in TO%. I'm going to assume Kaleb won't be as good as Ennis in that regard. We were 14th in offensive rebounding, we're basically always really good at that so I expect roughly something in that area.

On the whole, I'd expect some regression in the bad way for turnovers, but should be more than made up for by better shooting.

Not really, considering the offensive deficiencies that last year's team had. In fact, I'd be surprised if we don't flip that around a little this year.

My thinking goes like this. Since there will not be one or two clearly identified go-to shooters, the team on whole will be forced to play better offense as a unit. This may result is much more depth and strength on offense going into the tournament.

My thinking goes like this. Since there will not be one or two clearly identified go-to shooters, the team on whole will be forced to play better offense as a unit. This may result is much more depth and strength on offense going into the tournament.

We'll also have more shooters [Cooney, BJ, McCullough, Gbinije, and hopefully Joseph / Roberson / Patterson] to help space the floor.

People are going to be impressed when they see Roberson's offensive versatility. I'm not suggesting he puts it ALL together this year, but I'd be surprised if he isn't a three-and-done. Kid can stroke it, he's a great finisher inside, and is a relentless rebounder. Reminds me of George Lynch from UNC [going way back], except with a much better shooting stroke.

We'll also have more shooters [Cooney, BJ, McCullough, Gbinije, and hopefully Joseph / Roberson / Patterson] to help space the floor.

People are going to be impressed when they see Roberson's offensive versatility. I'm not suggesting he puts it ALL together this year, but I'd be surprised if he isn't a three-and-done. Kid can stroke it, he's a great finisher inside, and is a relentless rebounder. Reminds me of George Lynch from UNC [going way back], except with a much better shooting stroke.
Great analogy with George Lynch. Kid was a rebounding brute back in the day.

I think scoring wise we should be much better off this year. Cooney, G and and Roc are a year older and a year better. Joseph seems to have a higher offensive upside thank Ennis. Roberson and Mccollough should be at least as good as Grant, if not better. BJ should have more upside and offensive talent than CJ had.

I hope so. I have this theory about Cooney. With all the running around he did last year just to get open he would probably score MORE points with less playing time. This is because his legs would be fresher when he's buzzing around trying to get a clean open look.
Serious, man. His legs were jelly towards the end of the year.

Running and cutting hard in the half court for 30 second spurts is much more draining than just running the court. I think in general we will see much more transition and even in sets shots will be going up earlier than last year where we often went late into the clock. I like you think this will help keep Cooney's legs fresh and if he can also keep the minutes around 28-30 then I think we will see a much more efficient shooter who's off streaks are not nearly as long.

I like Roberson a lot. My only concern is I thought his contribution would be similar to Grant's freshmen year. But Grant's family background probably had him further along. At this point, I expect Roberson to make a HUGE leap this year now that he's got the freshmen willies out of his head. Roberson seems like a very thoughtful kid. Reminds me of James Southerland that way.

If Coleman is healthy and in shape, he can easily avg. 10- 12 per game and open the floor up for everyone.

I like Roberson a lot. My only concern is I thought his contribution would be similar to Grant's freshmen year. But Grant's family background probably had him further along. At this point, I expect Roberson to make a HUGE leap this year now that he's got the freshmen willies out of his head. Roberson seems like a very thoughtful kid. Reminds me of James Southerland that way.
Roberson. He had the big man version of the "yips" last year. Now let's just hope his legs hold up. Ha.
He will be alright. Once he gets a little confidence, slows his tempo down especially on offense, he's going to be a major contributor this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom