Class of 2017 - How is our recruiting not better at skill positions? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 How is our recruiting not better at skill positions?

nzm136

All Conference
1) We play an insanely fast tempo that's pass-heavy. WRs are pretty much guaranteed to get a TON of reps and highlights. The same is true for QBs (if they see playing time)

2) We have new practice facilities that are pretty nice. It's not like 10 years ago when we were still using facilities built in 1980.

3) We play home games in perfect weather.

4) We are in a power conference with excellent exposure in great recruiting areas.

5) Our schedule consists of regular games against FSU, Clemson, Louisville, and ND (every 2.8 years), so SU players are exposed to scouts from every NFL team multiple times.

6) We're a good school (for whatever that's worth)

We should have solid 3 star WRs with an occasional 4 star. I get other positions being up and down, but WRs, QBs, and RBs (to a lesser extent) should be tripping over themselves to play for us. What gives?

1) We play an insanely fast tempo that's pass-heavy. WRs are pretty much guaranteed to get a TON of reps and highlights. The same is true for QBs (if they see playing time)

2) We have new practice facilities that are pretty nice. It's not like 10 years ago when we were still using facilities built in 1980.

4) We are in a power conference with excellent exposure in great recruiting areas.

5) Our schedule consists of regular games against FSU, Clemson, Louisville, and ND (every 2.8 years), so SU players are exposed to scouts from every NFL team multiple times.

We should have solid 3 star WRs with an occasional 4 star. I get other positions being up and down, but WRs, QBs, and RBs (to a lesser extent) should be tripping over themselves to play for us. What gives?
We're coming off a 4 win season, and we're 3-4 right now. That's the biggest hurdle facing us right now. That and geography, which won't change.

We have a bunch of 3*kids verballed at WR. The 4* will come.

SU has not been nationally relevant for their entire FB lives.

It already has improved this year, and that was prior to beginning to amass video game numbers on offense.

Patience, grasshopper!

Stop looking at stars with this system. It requires certain attributes that the coaches evaluate and are more important than arbitrary stars given by "analysts".

We're coming off a 4 win season, and we're 3-4 right now. That's the biggest hurdle facing us right now. That and geography, which won't change.
This year's class doesn't look as strong as prior classes, and we weren't setting the world on fire then.

Stop looking at stars with this system. It requires certain attributes that the coaches evaluate and are more important than arbitrary stars given by "analysts".
This sounds like loser talk. If we had 'em posters would be singing a different tune. The truth is that there are certainly many other factors, but pretending like stars/ranking aren't important is insane. There is a very strong correlation between stars and winning.

It already has improved this year, and that was prior to beginning to amass video game numbers on offense.

Patience, grasshopper!
...but it hasn't improved this year. At least not ranking-wise.

Our coaching staff might be better at evaluating talent, so maybe the recruiting is better. Who knows? But it doesn't appear that way yet, and that surprises me given how much we have to offer them.

Last edited:

You're spot on. Just give it a little time. The fun's just starting.

Elite 11 QB and some high 3 star WR for a team coming off 4 wins is pretty impressive.
What about the multiple 2 stars? These WR recruits don't look better than SS' - at least not on paper.

So, you expected 4's and 5's to just walk in before HCDB has even coached half a season and say, "Let me play here, Coach!" Really?
Now you're putting words in my mouth. You're the only person to say 5 star. I said 3 stars w/ the occasional 4 star. We're getting a mix of 2 and 3 stars. Our last coach ran an offense that was far less WR friendly and got solid 3's. I don't think that my expectations are unreasonable.

If you are looking at Skowt I wouldn't give it that much credence. Their Eastern analyst has a very good reason to underrate our recruits and overrate Rutgers.

Only site to have Divito ranked low as well, in fact lower than RU's QB recruit I believe. He may have finally passed him due to Elite 11.

Now you're putting words in my mouth. You're the only person to say 5 star. I said 3 stars w/ the occasional 4 star. We're getting a mix of 2 and 3 stars. Our last coach ran an offense that was far less WR friendly and got solid 3's. I don't think that my expectations are unreasonable.
They are most definitely unreasonable if you expected a class of "3 stars w/ the occasional 4 star" before he even finished half a season.

Who are you talking about?
THIS YEAR:
Cameron Jordan is a rivals 2*
Russell Thompson is rivals 2*
Sharod Johnson is a rivals 2*

Josh Palmer is a rivals 3*
Nykeim Johnson is a rivals 3*

LAST YEAR:
Last year's class had a total of 5 2*'s in the entire class. Sean Riley was the only WR, and he was a 3*.

We don't have big WR classes every year, but if you go back to the '14 class, this one is below average at the position.

I'm asking the question because (1) I think it's crazy that we aren't seeing a bump, given that we are offering more than ever, and (2) a number of posters are concerned about the talent level on the team right now. Assuming their fears are justified, recruiting is worth following more so now than in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom