Class of 2016 - How many DEs for this class? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 How many DEs for this class?

baggerbob

All American
We really need to get a few DE in this class, not counting Thompson we only have 2 others next year Pickard, and Carter. We have 5 DT in Clark, Cross, Giudice, Slayton, and Samuels, so they need to come up with someone at DE.

Last edited by a moderator:
We really need to get a few DE in this class, not counting Thompson we only have 2 others next year Pickard, and Carter. We have 5 DT in Clark, Cross, Giudice, Slayton, and Samuels, so they need to come up with someone at DE.

Well a lot depends on the status of Sheppard and Ealey. Been radio silence since the announcement of the suspensions as far as I know but assuming the Clemson game counts and that Syracuse follows the letter of its own law here (50% of games) it sounds like worst case is they would miss 3 games assuming they stay at Syracuse and avoid further issues.

Are you writing off Sheppard and Ealey?

Are you writing off Sheppard and Ealey?
Even if they remain eligible, they still will miss 3 more games next year, so you really can't count them until then.

Even if they remain eligible, they still will miss 3 more games next year, so you really can't count them until then.
They'd still be eligible for 9 games. I'm not worried about their availability for Colgate.

I'm betting on Slayton playing some DE

I wonder if the new staff will be flexible about the suspension or not, or even if they can be...

I wonder if the new staff will be flexible about the suspension or not, or even if they can be...
I don't think they can be as it is a university policy.

I don't think they can be as it is a university policy.

yep, not following our own drug policy on the basketball side got us in a wee bit of hot water. The new staff has no say as far as that goes.

Spring game, intrasquad scrimmage and then Colgate.

Can we just get rid of our stupid drug policy.

Yes. We can. No NCAA mandate that we have one. Personally I agree with having some type of policy but make the penalties "double secret probation" instead of something that we would be held to in all cases. There should be some discretion given to the coach.

Yes. We can. No NCAA mandate that we have one. Personally I agree with having some type of policy but make the penalties "double secret probation" instead of something that we would be held to in all cases. There should be some discretion given to the coach.

Why? What does a football coach know about drugs? What knowledge do they have that makes them best suited to decide the punishment a player should have? They know the player personally? To me. that is absolutely the reason why they shouldn't have a say in the punishment. They have every reason to gain from not punishing the kid, and no reason to to be strict.

I know the other argument, so many other college students use, and nothing is done about them. How many are getting full scholarships? How many are representing the University in a very public fashion? Maybe a few, but the reality is, not many. The kids are effectively signing an agreement to follow a certain code of conduct in return for free room, board and an opportunity to earn a very valuable degree as well as a chance at an extremely lucrative career. I think it is a small price to pay, considering nothing good every really comes from using the substances.

Is this really what you want to support the University doing? Ignoring a habit that is potentially damaging to the players. If it was my son, I would certainly want the University to discourage the use of illegal drugs.

How important is winning, if you sell your morals?

Why? What does a football coach know about drugs? What knowledge do they have that makes them best suited to decide the punishment a player should have? They know the player personally? To me. that is absolutely the reason why they shouldn't have a say in the punishment. They have every reason to gain from not punishing the kid, and no reason to to be strict.

I know the other argument, so many other college students use, and nothing is done about them. How many are getting full scholarships? How many are representing the University in a very public fashion? Maybe a few, but the reality is, not many. The kids are effectively signing an agreement to follow a certain code of conduct in return for free room, board and an opportunity to earn a very valuable degree as well as a chance at an extremely lucrative career. I think it is a small price to pay, considering nothing good every really comes from using the substances.

Is this really what you want to support the University doing? Ignoring a habit that is potentially damaging to the players. If it was my son, I would certainly want the University to discourage the use of illegal drugs.

You can discourage drug use and penalize players for it without having a published policy. Especially when the NCAA doesn't require one.

I think the problem is that the University went to the point of having a published policy to give the appearance of a strong compliance program and then didn't bother to enforce it. Which was dumb on both counts.

You can publish as many policies as you want. What you practice is your actual policy regardless of what is written.

Last edited:
Antiprodigy said:

The issue I have is that if you have a published policy, you are obligated by the NCAA to follow it to the letter. The incentive is to NOT have a policy and less than 50% of P5 do. I applaud Syracuse for having a policy but would like to see some latitude and yes, I believe the coach, who is ultimately responsible, is in a position to know the individual kid and, with support if necessary, determine if there is a substance abuse problem or a kid being a kid. From no penalty to a half season ban seems extreme in some cases but is probably ineffective in others.

There's illegal drugs and then there's pot. Pot! Freaking pot! cost Boheim about 100 wins. Pot!

Is pot illegal in NY? It does happen to be in the state that I live in. If it is legal, then you can certainly feel free to debate with SU administration why they have a policy forbidding a legal substance. If not, It certainly seems reasonable to forbid/punish the use of an illegal substance. Especially when they are essentially a public representative of the University.

(Edit ... I just looked it up. Medicinal is legal. The policy should reflect the current laws.) (Somehow, I doubt either of them had a prescription. It's possible, but not likely.)

I'm not interested in debating whether or not it should be illegal. Honestly, I don't think it should. But if SU's code of conduct prohibits it, then it is on the player. As adult's we have to learn to play by the rules. They are adult's, it is time they learn the consequences of their actions. In many jobs, they would have lost their job. They are lucky, all they got was suspended.

I applaud the University for being proactive. If only it had originally been written sensibly and with clear guidelines, and top management had clearly supported and mandated its usage, no one would complain about its existence. But that is on the former top management, and I'm sure played a part in why they are no longer top management with the University.

Last edited:
is it even clear what 50% of an academic year means? you could read it as 50% of the games the year it happens but wouldnt the other choice be 6 games so are we saying they missed the final 3 and 3 more? its not even clear it doesnt mean 50% of events means, so maybe games/practice are equal things? they would mean 6 a week for 6 weeks and spring counts..

Is pot illegal in NY? It does happen to be in the state that I live in. If it is legal, then you can certainly feel free to debate with SU administration why they have a policy forbidding a legal substance. If not, It certainly seems reasonable to forbid/punish the use of an illegal substance. Especially when they are essentially a public representative of the University.

I'm not interested in debating whether or not it should be illegal. Honestly, I don't think it should. But if SU's code of conduct prohibits it, then it is on the player. As adult's we have to learn to play by the rules. They are adult's, it is time they learn the consequences of their actions. In many jobs, they would have lost their job. They are lucky, all they got was suspended.

I applaud the University for being proactive. If only it had originally been written sensibly and with clear guidelines, and top management had clearly supported and mandated its usage, no one would complain about its existence. But that is on the former top management, and I'm sure played a part in why they are no longer top management with the University.
I believe the current policy was implemented by ADMC after he arrived.

Fail one more and they would be gone for sure,the question is, does the new staff want to waste time and energy on them. They already failed twice in just the first few months being here.

He just may use them as a strict example of do not lie to me as I am sure they made promises to clean up their act to a coach who they knew was on the hotseat before the second time they failed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom